The Student Room Group
Students at University of Huddersfield
University of Huddersfield
Huddersfield
Visit website
Reply 1
i've had my job for the past two years (well, two and a half, i started before i moved to uni) while i've been at huddersfield, it's at starbucks in leeds (one of the many) i work 16 hours a week, usually saturday and sunday. sometimes i'll take uni work in with me if i really need to get it done, but otherwise my timetable pretty much allows for me to do all my work at home and not have work take away from that.

as for your expectations, it all depends on where and what field you apply to.
Students at University of Huddersfield
University of Huddersfield
Huddersfield
Visit website
Reply 2
I'd say wait until you get your timetable before applying for work.

At the end of the day you have to work out whether it's necessary to support yourself, whether you're willing to risk not having to have a social life when all your mates are going out, and whether you can manage both Uni. work and normal work.

I didn't personally, as first year is about settling, getting to know mates and therefore I wanted to enjoy the time off I did have.

This year I'm contemplating getting a transfer from my summer job at Wilkinsons to the one in Huddersfield, but it's all wait and see for me.
I have never understood people who dont work during uni, me and my friends have just graduated, i worked, they didnt, and i got a job, since i showed i could work as well and actually had things to put on my CV other than Duke of Edinburgh
Reply 4
I worked prior to University, and I'm working while not at Uni. My parents are supporting me through Uni, like they did my brother. They pay me 60 quid a week to spend on food/going out etc.
Reply 5
my parents are also supporting me through uni, but i wanted to work so that i wouldn't rely solely on my parents and my loan. that, and i love my job too much to quit it.
Reply 6
LOL. I didnt want to commit my time to work, and plus I left a stable job I enjoyed back home, but I didnt want to travel back and forth every weekend just for that.
Reply 7
i just got a transfer. simple as. alright it may not let me go out on a friday night, but i don't really care. camel's pretty lame on a friday anyway so i'm not missing out there.
Reply 8
FullyITFC
I worked prior to University, and I'm working while not at Uni. My parents are supporting me through Uni, like they did my brother. They pay me 60 quid a week to spend on food/going out etc.

christ thats where ive been going wrong! £60 is what i spend in a night out! lol

now im skint with £15 left on my overdraft and cant even afford to pay rent! ooops

advice to freshers - dont spend too much money! the overdraft and loans look good but you will definatly need it at the end of the year so be careful

oh and does anybody know anything about access to learning fund? cos i might need to apply
Reply 9
Not sure about the Access to Learning Fund - have a check on the Hudds website..

And, yes, that's sound advice mate. I went to Uni with over 500 quid saved up from my job, and with a 1 grand overdraft. Result - I was 400 in the red by the time I left Storthes.

Like you said, it sounds good, but then when you actually come to the end of the year when you all celebrate finishing exams and passing them, you'll need the money.

Latest

Trending

Trending