The Student Room Group

best jobs for a 16 year old (full time student)

Scroll to see replies

internet cafes?

i was thinking of going to one myself

at 16 your very limited with what you can do!!

and im 17 and its not much better roll on march!! finally 18
Reply 21
Tesco, been there 4 years since i was 16. I've done a few different jobs within the company and i enjoy it. The application process was quick and easy and the pay is good. They are quite flexible and there's usually overtime if you want it during xmas, easter etc.
eulerwaswrong
there are loads of jobs - i printed off about 20 cvs and cover letters and just went down the high street in my local town going in and handing them to a member of staff - then i did the same with a nearby retail park - i got an interview with somerfield, and then got the job so just ignored all the other replies.

and if you are ever stuck you can always get a job at mcdonalds - anybody can get a job there

not true actually.
apparently macdonalds are picky!!
samsam123
i thought it was a book shop?

They sell cds and dvds too, some of which will be 18 rated.
I work in argos, they pretty much do all of their recruiting for christmas - starting about sept time, although they do take a few on around July (in my store anyway!!) Good luck!! Try perhaps waitressing - they are quite easy jobs to get!! XX
tokyorose888
not true actually.

no - true actually

where i live you can walk in there and get a job - they have "open interviews" - where anyone can just walk in and then they ask you when you can start - and then youve got the job
Reply 27
samperry209
internet cafes?

i was thinking of going to one myself

at 16 your very limited with what you can do!!

and im 17 and its not much better roll on march!! finally 18

March is ages away :P
eulerwaswrong
no - true actually

where i live you can walk in there and get a job - they have "open interviews" - where anyone can just walk in and then they ask you when you can start - and then youve got the job

ok thats probably around your area, but in all other areas they actually have a "proper" interview system to make sure that they get what they need, not just any old stuff :smile:
Reply 29
SmilerNuts
Loads of places like that will take you on for part time work with no experience, provided your CV looks good enough. May I suggest that could be the problem.

how good a cv do you expect a 16 years old kid to have? At that level a good one is simply one without obvious spelling mistakes.
pkiy
how good a cv do you expect a 16 years old kid to have? At that level a good one is simply one without obvious spelling mistakes.

You think so? Obviously you wont have much experience at that age but it's still important to illustrate your skills and attributes, sell yourself to that company. If you don't then someone else will come along who will and they'll get the job.
Reply 31
SmilerNuts
You think so? Obviously you wont have much experience at that age but it's still important to illustrate your skills and attributes, sell yourself to that company. If you don't then someone else will come along who will and they'll get the job.

how to illustrate your skills without any experience??????
pkiy
how to illustrate your skills without any experience??????

Using experiences from school and extra curricular activities.
Reply 33
SmilerNuts
Using experiences from school and extra curricular activities.

experiences from school, such as tidying classrooms fine?
pkiy
experiences from school, such as tidying classrooms fine?

Yeah, nay responsibilities you may have had, any teams you were part of, times you had to manage your workload and work to deadlines. There are loads of examples from school that can be useful for getting a job.
Reply 35
I'm sixteen and I really don't think your CV can look that good. A lot of sixteen year olds haven't done enough in life to put anything of relevance, including myself. Me and my friends have tried at loads of places to get jobs - many just don't get back to you and the other half say you're too young. This time last year in most shops I was being served by people in the older year yet now they don't take anyone on. Urgh.
Reply 36
Does anyone know what the minimum age is to get a job as a pharmacy assistant or a job in the hospitals?
SmilerNuts

Actually, the only way I managed to get my job was to forget to mention a lot of my qualifications and forget to mention that I was going to university. I think that some places are put off by very good CV's from students. (In my little bit of experience of course :p: )
MeltLikeIce
Actually, the only way I managed to get my job was to forget to mention a lot of my qualifications and forget to mention that I was going to university. I think that some places are put off by very good CV's from students. (In my little bit of experience of course :p: )

It never did me any harm listing them all and telling them I went to uni, so long as you make them work for you. Whenever we were hiring new people at work I'd chat to the boss about the applications and she tended to hire the people with better grades, simply cause they'd explained that to get the grades required commitment and organisation of a workload etc.
Reply 39
Try the supermarkets....always a safe bet. I've been at sainsbury's since october...i was 16 at the time..they took on a lot of us as the uni students were all leaving then, often you will find there isn't much going at the moment because of uni students, but give it till september and you should walk into a job easy.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending