The Student Room Group

Unsure about progress. Instructor holding me back?

So I’ve just completed my 8th 1 hour driving lesson. Now, I’m unsure if the progress I’ve made so far is normal or if it isn’t.

So far, I’ve done main roundabouts, a little bit of dual carriageways, some parking in a quiet car park and just generally driving on country roads and through town streets and only slightly busy traffic lights.

I don’t have any trouble shifting gears or pulling out of junctions. I only occasionally have issues with steering as I’m sometimes too close to the edge of the road, and I’m unsure about what speeds I can go on certain roads.

My insecurity about my progress stems from what I’ve heard from other people and from my instructor. He has had me driving since the first lesson, but he only tells me where I should be going and if I make a mistake, he’ll correct me, but most of the time he is sitting on his phone and only occasionally looks up to check if I’m going the right way and if I’m driving correctly.

I’m just... not really sure what to do? Like, is my progress normal so far? It seems so but I’m put off my instructors behaviour.
I’m debating whether to get a new instructor, but I feel a little guilty about it because I’m just not confident on Whether he’s teaching me adequately.
From the skills you have been doing it seems like learning wise you’re on the right track, obviously everyone takes slightly different times and instructors also take different times. However, driving instructors should be paying full attention on you when you’re driving. If you’re unsatisfied with the teaching or just don’t think it suits you, then you’re fully in your right to change. You’re paying for these lessons and it sounds like an instructor who’s more supportive might be beneficial for you. Also I’m pretty sure it’s against the law for your instructor to be on his phone during your lessons as you’re a learner !
Reply 2
Original post by Becky324
From the skills you have been doing it seems like learning wise you’re on the right track, obviously everyone takes slightly different times and instructors also take different times. However, driving instructors should be paying full attention on you when you’re driving. If you’re unsatisfied with the teaching or just don’t think it suits you, then you’re fully in your right to change. You’re paying for these lessons and it sounds like an instructor who’s more supportive might be beneficial for you. Also I’m pretty sure it’s against the law for your instructor to be on his phone during your lessons as you’re a learner !

Ah thank you! This has been on my mind for a while so it’s nice to be assured I’m making the right decision when changing instructor.
Original post by NcM1432
Ah thank you! This has been on my mind for a while so it’s nice to be assured I’m making the right decision when changing instructor.

Good luck ! I know a lot of people who have changed instructors so it’s definitely something you shouldn’t worry about. It’s just finding the best person that suits your learning style.
Original post by Becky324

Yes it is against the law for an instructor (or anyone supervising) to be on their phone whilst supervising/teaching a learner
I agree with @Becky324, it seems like you’re on the right track, and if you’re not satisfied with the quality of the teaching, then definitely get yourself a new, decent instructor. It’s not fair to you that you have an instructor who seems to be more interested in playing with their phone than teaching a learner.
I had an instructor like this when i was 17, didn't turn up to my first lesson and rushed over 30 minutes late, on my second ever lesson he used to sit on his iPad, chat away on the phone then shout at me when he finally decided to pay some attention to my inexperienced driving techniques and provide me with some form of instruction. At the time it made me hate driving and Ii didn't take up lessons again until I finished Uni because i thought i must be terrible.

Get yourself a new instructor, if you're having doubts now i'd take it as a sign and at the end of the day you're paying for a service that you aren't 100% satisfied with! Good luck :smile:
Original post by LaurenEve1995
I had an instructor like this when i was 17, didn't turn up to my first lesson and rushed over 30 minutes late, on my second ever lesson he used to sit on his iPad, chat away on the phone then shout at me when he finally decided to pay some attention to my inexperienced driving techniques and provide me with some form of instruction. At the time it made me hate driving and Ii didn't take up lessons again until I finished Uni because i thought i must be terrible.

Get yourself a new instructor, if you're having doubts now i'd take it as a sign and at the end of the day you're paying for a service that you aren't 100% satisfied with! Good luck :smile:

My first instructor used to shout at me when I made mistakes, I always used to dread having lessons with him because he made me feel so small and made me lose my confidence. One particular lesson I made a mistake (can’t remember what it was now), and he made me stop in the middle of the road (was a residential road thankfully) and had a massive go at me, the window was open on his side and I remember there were workmen a few feet away looking over, I remember feeling embarrassed and very nearly cried because he was such an ****hole. I eventually stopped having lessons with him and had a year off of learning to drive and I then found a decent instructor when I was in my 2nd year of uni who was firm but fair, who then went to become a driving examiner. The instructor I had when I passed my test was also firm but fair, I’ve had my licence for 3 years now :smile:
Original post by ohhello92x
My first instructor used to shout at me when I made mistakes, I always used to dread having lessons with him because he made me feel so small and made me lose my confidence. One particular lesson I made a mistake (can’t remember what it was now), and he made me stop in the middle of the road (was a residential road thankfully) and had a massive go at me, the window was open on his side and I remember there were workmen a few feet away looking over, I remember feeling embarrassed and very nearly cried because he was such an ****hole. I eventually stopped having lessons with him and had a year off of learning to drive and I then found a decent instructor when I was in my 2nd year of uni who was firm but fair, who then went to become a driving examiner. The instructor I had when I passed my test was also firm but fair, I’ve had my licence for 3 years now :smile:

Yes that's exactly what happened to me, made me pull over just so he could shout at me. I think I actually did cry once lol and he made be book blocks of 10 2 hour lessons with him in advance :afraid:
I wish I found this forum when i was 17 because I thought it was me being an awful driver and would dread every lesson so I can certainly relate to your experience! I moved back home, got myself a new instructor after I finished uni who was also firm but actually explained things properly and passed last week with 4 minors... woohooo!
Yes that's exactly what happened to me, made me pull over just so he could shout at me. I think I actually did cry once lol and he made be book blocks of 10 2 hour lessons with him in advance :afraid:
I wish I found this forum when i was 17 because I thought it was me being an awful driver and would dread every lesson so I can certainly relate to your experience! I moved back home, got myself a new instructor after I finished uni who was also firm but actually explained things properly and passed last week with 4 minors... woohooo!

Aww bless you. I remember one time with this first instructor he had the cheek to ask me why I wanted to learn and if I was being pressured into learning, and he was like ‘oh i May have to have a chat with your mum’ (he taught my sister, she never had any issues with him, and he doesn’t even know my parents ffs) and it made me think wtf cause I had paid for all of my lessons, and both theory and practical tests out of my own money, so it wasn’t like I got my parents or anyone else to pay. Just wish I’d never had him but was so glad I stopped having lessons with him. Oh that’s annoying that he forced you to book block lessons with him, that’s not fair to you! :console:
Awww, guess it’s just the rude/awful instructors who make learners feel like they’re terrible at learning to drive. Yes when I got a new instructor I had everything explained to me properly as well, I passed 3rd time (nerves took over the first 2 attempts :colondollar:), and well done for passing :biggrin:
Reply 10
Original post by ohhello92x

Ah it’s such a shame that people can be such ***holes. I’m glad you were able to get a better instructor :smile:
Original post by NcM1432
Ah it’s such a shame that people can be such ***holes. I’m glad you were able to get a better instructor :smile:

Literally, it’s a shame that people like that make a bad name for driving instructors. Thank you, I hope you find a better instructor if you decide to look for another one :smile:
Your progress seems good but tbh are you even sure you're driving well? your instructor is paying no attention... i would ditch him immediately for being on his phone, you're at risk of causing an accident and you're not going to be getting proper instruction on the more subtle things

Did you get your money back? I'm late to this thread but something similar happened to me today.

Last lesson I paid for a block of 10, and in the lesson today he got so frustrated with me holding up traffic that it made me panic - I froze up and drove into the curb, which just made him even more angry. He wouldn't stop sighing all the way back, and I just felt terrible through the whole lesson. This is only my third lesson, and I've already paid almost £300 for a block of 10. I don't know if it's worth carrying on. If I switch now the money is just going to go to waste.
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by gradians
Did you get your money back? I'm late to this thread but something similar happened to me today.

Last lesson I paid for a block of 10, and in the lesson today he got so frustrated with me holding up traffic that it made me panic - I froze up and drove into the curb, which just made him even more angry. He wouldn't stop sighing all the way back, and I just felt terrible through the whole lesson. This is only my third lesson, and I've already paid almost £300 for a block of 10. I don't know if it's worth carrying on. If I switch now the money is just going to go to waste.

Unfortunately I didn't get my money back, I hated lessons with him so much I didn't even really attempt to get the money back that I lost because I was so embarrassed (silly I know) but a good lesson learnt.

It all really depends if this was just a blip or if you're feeling like this during every lesson as trust me I had a fair share of bad lessons lol. I'd maybe give it a few more lessons but make sure you listen to your gut and if it doesn't feel right then I'd maybe try and have an honest conversation with him and see if you can get your money back. For me personally, I tried to continue with my first instructor and It just made me dread every lesson, I really ended up hating driving and my confidence was majorly knocked. No one should ever make you feel bad or feel under pressure, it's your third lesson after all! A good instructor will be constructive, make you aware of what you've done wrong but explain it to you constructively and help you to ensure you don't make that mistake again whilst most importantly staying safe.

Sometimes we are unlucky and don't find the perfect instructor right away and that isn't a bad reflection on you or him. Everyone learns and teaches differently so he should understand. Please don't let this knock your confidence :smile:
As several people have pointed out, if your instructor is using their phone while you are driving they are breaking the law. You should kick this cowboy into touch and report them to the DVSA

DVSA driving instructor team
[email protected]

DVSA
PO Box 349
Newcastle-Upon-Tyne
NE12 2GN

Regards
Don L Gates
UK Driving Skills
It sounds fairly average to me although everyone will grow at their own pace. Your instructor sounds like a lazy arse though and you should probably get a new instructor. You will never be able to learn properly if your instructor doesn't care.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending