The Student Room Group
Students on campus at Loughborough University
Loughborough University
Loughborough

The Placement Thread

Scroll to see replies

Could someone tell me about council tax whilst on placement..?
Students on campus at Loughborough University
Loughborough University
Loughborough
Reply 21
you don't pay it unless you live with a non-student, you need to get a letter that says you are still a student from admin 2 (i think its admin 2 anyways)

I didn't pay much attention to that part of the talk as i knew i was still living in the charnwood council area, which has those handy forms
Reply 22
Am I still exempt from it living on my own? Cos I think I read somewhere it was only groups of students. Hmm I'll check the letter thing
My friend and I are looking for accommodation, and it's likely we might live with like a "non student" live in landlord, how would that work out..?
As a student you will basically be disregarded from the council tax. If there is two non students, they will pay full council tax between them, and you won't be liable at all. If there is one non student, they will be souly liable but get 25% discount single person discount.
Reply 25
TSR surfing whilst at work ftw :jive:
Reply 26
if you are on your own you still get exempt, but obv you have to tell them :P
Reply 27
Not long till you start working Em :eek3:
Reply 28
i knooooow, cant wait hehe :biggrin: hows it going btw?
Reply 29
Not bad, just spent these first 2 weeks getting to grips with the current systems I'll be using a lot of during the year. Start my own project work in a few weeks.
Reply 30
How's your first day Em!? :eek:
By the way, did anyone use any specific website for find their accommodation..? Been on the lookout for 3 weeks now, and my mate and I are finding it slightly difficult...
Reply 32
I just visited the local letting agencies in the area and they gave me a few properties to look at
Wooo. I'm back on TSR, and I have been at work 5 weeks now! I started the Monday after term finished!
Reply 34
Not much of a break then after uni. Bigger holiday next year though
can I have two placement years ,one after year2 and one before master year????????
Reply 36
hey guys, im thinking of doing a placement the year after next and iv just got a few questions that maybe you could answer for me thanks
1) as mentioned earlier are we still classified as students? i.e can we live in sstudent housing in loughborough and have other such benefits if being a student?
2) i was told we would have to still pay some tution fee even though we're not there is this true?
3) do most people get placements near where they live or near loughborough so that they can stay there?
4) for good placements you need to be aiming at a 2:1 but is this based on first or second year results?
5) do the university keep in contact with you at all whilest your on a placement?
6) how competative are the placements that are recommended by the department, i. do loads of people from yor course try and get them?

thanks in advance
Reply 37
loveborough
can I have two placement years ,one after year2 and one before master year????????

It depends on your course, they're not an optional university-wide extra. You can't say "I think I'd like a placement year next year" like you could take a gap year after Year13. If your course offers it then it will be a compulsory year of your studies. If not then no.
Reply 38
bobbert_18
hey guys, im thinking of doing a placement the year after next and iv just got a few questions that maybe you could answer for me thanks
1) as mentioned earlier are we still classified as students? i.e can we live in sstudent housing in loughborough and have other such benefits if being a student?
2) i was told we would have to still pay some tution fee even though we're not there is this true?
3) do most people get placements near where they live or near loughborough so that they can stay there?
4) for good placements you need to be aiming at a 2:1 but is this based on first or second year results?
5) do the university keep in contact with you at all whilest your on a placement?
6) how competative are the placements that are recommended by the department, i. do loads of people from yor course try and get them?

thanks in advance

These answers are based on Business School placements as I don't know about placements in other departments :smile:

1. Yes we are still classified as students. For example we are exempt from paying council tax whilst living away on placement.

2. It is true because you are still paying for the university to monitor your progress and send you a tutor etc. although the fee is drastically reduced to something around £600

3. You could try but really that's what most people have in mind. I'd imagine the placement jobs in Loughborough get heavily over-applied to by Loughborough students. Wait for e_clark to reply, her placement is in Loughborough so she could tell you more. Also the range of placements that come in are so diverse in their locations across the UK and beyond that you would be severely limiting yourself by aiming for a certain area in terms of placements to apply for.

4. Because you're recommended to start applying for placements early in your second year it means your first year results are the most important for attracting the likes of the bigger successful firms, although your second year results need to be just as good to keep the place

5. Yes. A tutor is allocated to you and comes to visit you in November to see how you are getting on. There are also regular email checks with the Placement Office staff to check things are running ok.

6. Not really because there are so many placements that are advertised. There really is loads of choice so only the biggest firms and the local Loughborough firms I would consider to be competitive amongst Loughborough students. That said, there will be plenty of students from other universities going for the same placements too.
Reply 39
Hi, i'm hoping to apply for a placement when I go back to uni (just finished 1st yr). Could you tell me how many companies people tend to apply to on average? and do many end up with more than one offers?

All the best to everyone currently on placement =)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending