The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Ours have the first and second year averages, then the overall degree average and then the degree classification. All under the list of modules & the relevent marks.
Reply 41
IlexAquifolium
Ours too - you can calculate them yourself knowing the weighting, but the overall average as they perceive it isn't listed - presumably because of the paper profiling that occurs (so someone with a numerical average of 66 can come out with a first).

True, although it doesn't have the numerical average, it does list your overall classification after your degree at the bottom of the page. That might be the way it is for others perhaps?
Reply 42
yeh speaking of averages my kings offer is based on a mark so how do i prove i obtained that overall mark if i dont know how it is calculated
Reply 43
Grad
yeh speaking of averages my kings offer is based on a mark so how do i prove i obtained that overall mark if i dont know how it is calculated

How was your degree made up?
If it was modular, you just need to figure out the weightings for each, then do an average of them all to get your final degree mark.
Reply 44
Ad-Alta
How was your degree made up?
If it was modular, you just need to figure out the weightings for each, then do an average of them all to get your final degree mark.

::redface: no idea.

I shall not be taking up kings but was intrigued, i think my final yr marks are what they are asking for but overall im inclined to think it may be a tad lower. I wonder if kings would have taken me on.

Ad alta what were Cambridge asking from you?
Reply 45
Grad
::redface: no idea.
I shall not be taking up kings but was intrigued, i think my final yr marks are what they are asking for but overall im inclined to think it may be a tad lower. I wonder if kings would have taken me on.
Ad alta what were Cambridge asking from you?

It varies from college to college, but my offer was a blanket 2.i (no specific mark).

Do you have several marks from your degree? Did your second year count as well as your last? If just your last year counted, and you have several marks (no different weightings) it sounds as if you just need to make an average from those numbers.
Reply 46
Ad-Alta
It varies from college to college, but my offer was a blanket 2.i (no specific mark).

Do you have several marks from your degree? Did your second year count as well as your last? If just your last year counted, and you have several marks (no different weightings) it sounds as if you just need to make an average from those numbers.

cool

Yeh ive heard 1st and 2nd yrs count in part towards the final mark and my degree is comprised of modules.

Ahhhh i hope postgrad wont be so complicated, i want a solid distinction :biggrin:
Reply 47
^^ lol, good luck. Very very difficult to do. I worked my arse off and didn't get one. One of my lawyer friends who worked even harder than me didn't get one either. One of only two people on my course to get one was a genius anyway (started the course when she was 19).
Reply 48
Good to want to do well but my impression (no hard data) from economics is that msc marks are typically 5-10% lower than undergraduate marks. This would be partly because:
i)the standard is higher
ii) but also because it is a short course (1 year not 3). Hence less time to learn what is required.

Hence bloody hard to get a distinction.

Latest

Trending

Trending