The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
generalebriety
A book (or three), and I talk to people on the internet. You don't need much. The one thing I'm missing, of course, is listening practice... but that's relatively easy to pick up at the end.

I notice you're studying Maths at Cambridge - did you ever consider studying a language?
chevina
I notice you're studying Maths at Cambridge - did you ever consider studying a language?

Yes, up until I was 17. I still do. I've applied to do the German diploma alongside my degree next year. :smile:
Reply 22
generalebriety
Yes, up until I was 17. I still do. I've applied to do the German diploma alongside my degree next year. :smile:

What made you do Maths instead? I have something of the same - I love Maths and Science and for a long time it has been what I want to do at university, but I also really love languages. Out of interest, what were your A-levels? :smile:
at my 6th form, you can take spanish from scratch by sitting the GCSE in your first year and both the AS and A level in your second year. i wouldn't do it, personally.
OP if you are genuinely trilingual I reckon you would definately be able to do it. People who are bilingual or more have a real affinity for learning languages, and can easily add to their list of languages.

Good luck !
chevina
What made you do Maths instead? I have something of the same - I love Maths and Science and for a long time it has been what I want to do at university, but I also really love languages. Out of interest, what were your A-levels? :smile:

Maths, further maths, French, German. Did chemistry and Latin to AS.

I did maths because I knew I could always teach myself a language if I wanted to. I've done it with several languages in the past - I'm doing it with Turkish right now. Couldn't do that with maths if I tried; I simply wouldn't have had the motivation to sit down and do the first year course in a year. (Having been at Cambridge for a year, I think I can safely say I now would happily teach myself the second year, but that's not really relevant any more. :p: I've been teaching myself languages all my life; maths was just something I got spoonfed and absorbed, and going from that to actually having to work a lot for it was a culture shock, but one I think I've adapted to quite well.)

Which languages are you fluent in, again? I caught Spanish and English but don't think you mentioned the final one.
Reply 26
Transatlanticdrawl_
OP if you are genuinely trilingual I reckon you would definately be able to do it. People who are bilingual or more have a real affinity for learning languages, and can easily add to their list of languages.

Good luck !

I'm fluent in Norwegian (my native language), English and Spanish, so yes, I'm trilingual. I also find it easy to understand Portuguese, Italian and French. The weird thing is, it's always been a natural thing for me so when making GCSE choices I only took one language. I've always learnt languages through listening to the language a lot, not through grammar exercises and the like, which I find very unhelpful. I don't know if this is good or bad. :p: I actually learn to speak English fluently before I had ever been taught in English. I've never even been to an English-speaking country. :s-smilie:
Reply 27
generalebriety
Maths, further maths, French, German. Did chemistry and Latin to AS.

I did maths because I knew I could always teach myself a language if I wanted to. I've done it with several languages in the past - I'm doing it with Turkish right now. Couldn't do that with maths if I tried; I simply wouldn't have had the motivation to sit down and do the first year course in a year. (Having been at Cambridge for a year, I think I can safely say I now would happily teach myself the second year, but that's not really relevant any more. :p: I've been teaching myself languages all my life; maths was just something I got spoonfed and absorbed, and going from that to actually having to work a lot for it was a culture shock, but one I think I've adapted to quite well.)

Which languages are you fluent in, again? I caught Spanish and English but don't think you mentioned the final one.

Norwegian. :smile:
Reply 28
You stated you wanted to do an "alevel" in it, but how about you learn it for fun in your own time, and if it goes well do a gcse?
Languages are hard at alevel, but teaching for fun can be fun!
chevina
Norwegian. :smile:

Spanish, English and Norwegian? How the hell did you manage that? :p:

When I get round to learning Norwegian at some point in my life, I'll give you a prod. :ninja:
Reply 30
rotor
You stated you wanted to do an "alevel" in it, but how about you learn it for fun in your own time, and if it goes well do a gcse?
Languages are hard at alevel, but teaching for fun can be fun!

Just in case I decide to do languages at university, I want to have more than one language at A2. Plus, I don't really want to study Spanish, but you need to have one of the languages you're going to study at A2.
Reply 31
generalebriety

When I get round to learning Norwegian at some point in my life, I'll give you a prod. :ninja:

Norwegian is my native language, I've lived in Spain for some time. I have no idea how I learnt English. The most contact I've had with the English language is watching American tv. I only just started studying at a British school here in Spain.
Reply 32
generalebriety

You should definitely learn Norwegian though, it's an insane language. I'm quite proud of knowing the Viking language :biggrin:
chevina
You should definitely learn Norwegian though, it's an insane language. I'm quite proud of knowing the Viking language :biggrin:

I know, it's great, and it's definitely high up on my "languages to learn" list. When I get comfortable with Türkçe, I'll give it a go. :smile:
Reply 34
generalebriety
I know, it's great, and it's definitely high up on my "languages to learn" list. When I get comfortable with Türkçe, I'll give it a go. :smile:

I have a Turkish friend, and I've heard her speak Turkish with her parents - it sounds very complicated, but really beautiful. I'd love to be able to speak it some day. :smile:
Reply 35
Hmm.. I might do almost the same as you did - Maths, Further Maths, Chemistry, Spanish, French and another language from scratch at AS. Might change FM for Biology. Sorry for all the questions, but it really helped :smile: Another possible combination to add to my list of AS levels. :p:
chevina
I would definitely work hard. I find my other A-levels very easy (Maths, Chemistry, Biology, Spanish) and I doubt I'll need to spend a lot of time on them. (Before anyone starts saying how much of a jump it is from GCSE to AS-level, I'm saying that I find the AS-levels easy. I basically finished Maths and I read through the Biology textbook, did a past paper three days later and got an A.)

I think if I were to study a new language, it would be (in order of preference) Latin, Russian, Czech, Polish, Bulgarian, Greek. All these languages fascinate me immensely.

good on you then! Obviously the decision is completely up to you. Best of luck!!!
Reply 37
greenwaytph
good on you then! Obviously the decision is completely up to you. Best of luck!!!

Reply 38
At my college we have "express" A levels in Spanish and Italian. If you get an A or A* in a GCSE language you can take either and the idea is that there is extra hours for the beginners seperately aswell as in the normal A Level class, it is hard work thought!

Latest

Trending

Trending