The Student Room Group

Clutch work when driving help!!!!

Hi can anyone tell me what to do with clutch when I stop at junction. Am I meant to push it right in as I break then release it again slowly as I put foot on the gas to move off? Had first driving lesson last week and instructor was not very clear.
1. If you’re at a stop, I think all instructors tell you to:
- clutch down and foots always on the break. If you’re in gear, once you have the clutch down. Go into neutral. Then you can release the clutch and keep your foot on the break at all times. If for example you came at a stop and you’re in gear one, if you just release the clutch and break without putting it into neutral, you will jerk the car and stall.

- once you’re ready to move again, observing all mirrors. Back onto the clutch and gear one, find your biting point and release your foot of the break. You want to try find the perfect biting point for the clutch, otherwise you can burn the clutch when over accelerating.

And yes, when you’re coming to a near stop, and your shifting down back to gear one. You want to put the clutch down when coming to an almost stop prior to only pressing the breaks. Or you will stall the car if you just use your breaks. Sometimes instructors also tell you to use the hand break when the car is stationed. As you May slip the breaks and roll back ect
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 2
I thought it would be back into neutral also but he is making me keep foot on clutch and break then when moving off, foot back to gas and release clutch slowly while giving it gas.
Original post by Kevfiz
I thought it would be back into neutral also but he is making me keep foot on clutch and break then when moving off, foot back to gas and release clutch slowly while giving it gas.

Not sure how test and exams go, I passed 7-8 years ago.

I can’t see any issue with that, only problem is. If you slip the clutch while your in that position (only if you’re at a full stop, waiting to go ahead). But for example if you’re in moving traffic, I would keep it in gear 1 and keep the car moving. And when needing to stop, clutch down, breaks and staying in gear 1. Ready to always move within the slow traffic.

When I drive I never have to go into neutral. But the way I was taught back then, was at a full stop. Clutch down, breaks, shift into neutral and hand break up. When ready to move, back to shifting into gear one, find the biting point, hand break down and foot of the break to move, switch back to the accelerator and so fourth
Reply 4
OK. So when stopping with the sequence I told you, when I come to junction and put the break on and clutch in do I push it all the way in at a steady fast pace or clutch slowly in and break?
Original post by Kevfiz
OK. So when stopping with the sequence I told you, when I come to junction and put the break on and clutch in do I push it all the way in at a steady fast pace or clutch slowly in and break?

You really should be asking your instructor to clarify this for you on your next lesson. If they are not capable of explaining the basics of car control then you are with the wrong instructor!

But you basically described it correctly in your first post. The brake should be applied to begin with, and the clutch should be pressed fully down just before you stop. If necessary you should then secure the car with the parking brake, but if you are going to move off again straight away, you would then release the footbrake, and use a little gas as the clutch is smoothly brought back up again to move off.
Reply 6
I had my second lesson on Saturday and I asked him for a recap. And I was going around round a bouts turning left and right and all the rest after that. Alls good now.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending