The Student Room Group

Cambridge Parents Association

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Helenski
It looks like some of the previous traditions associated with the Oxford and Cambridge boat race are changing this year, as. A result of ecoli being found in the water due to the sewage in our waterways. https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2024/mar/27/boat-race-organisers-warn-rowers-not-to-enter-water-after-e-coli-discovery

Traditions must be maintained! The coxes just need to keep their mouths closed?

Lesser Cambridge Dad
It looks like some of the previous traditions associated with the Oxford and Cambridge boat race are changing this year, as. A result of ecoli being found in the water due to the sewage in our waterways. https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2024/mar/27/boat-race-organisers-warn-rowers-not-to-enter-water-after-e-coli-discovery

Yes I saw this too.So sad after the health of the Thames had recovered so much until recently after being declared biologically dead in my youth.
Original post by Scotney
Yes I saw this too.So sad after the health of the Thames had recovered so much until recently after being declared biologically dead in my youth.

The Thames super sewer is competing later this year, so it should get a lot better again in the coming years. The coxes will be getting thrown in going forward, even if not his year. Looking forward to the race.
Hopefully the Thames super sewer will be more successful than the Paris project
Original post by lalexm
The Thames super sewer is competing later this year, so it should get a lot better again in the coming years. The coxes will be getting thrown in going forward, even if not his year. Looking forward to the race.

That may be so, but it is deplorable that Bazalgette's fine works of the C19 have had to last much longer than they should have because of lack of investment in infrastructure, and deplorable also that Thames Water is polluting a river that was brought back from the dead.

The coxes should stay dry this year, whichever crews win in the four races. As an Oxonian hoping for a reversal of the recent pattern, I sportingly say good luck Cambridge, and hope for close and exciting races uninterrupted by swimmers, and with no controversies about tactics, umpiring, or the biological sex of the rowers.

My college's men's First Eight has not been Head of the River since the C19, but our women's First Eight was Head of the River a few years ago, and the first woman to cox Oxford Men (to victory) is an alumna. One of my college friends rowed in two consecutive Boat Races (both Oxford wins) and is my college's only Olympian to date. I prefer to enjoy rowing from the riverbank, especially in Eights Week with a glass of something cold in my hand.
Original post by Stiffy Byng
That may be so, but it is deplorable that Bazalgette's fine works of the C19 have had to last much longer than they should have because of lack of investment in infrastructure, and deplorable also that Thames Water is polluting a river that was brought back from the dead.
The coxes should stay dry this year, whichever crews win in the four races. As an Oxonian hoping for a reversal of the recent pattern, I sportingly say good luck Cambridge, and hope for close and exciting races uninterrupted by swimmers, and with no controversies about tactics, umpiring, or the biological sex of the rowers.
My college's men's First Eight has not been Head of the River since the C19, but our women's First Eight was Head of the River a few years ago, and the first woman to cox Oxford Men (to victory) is an alumna. One of my college friends rowed in two consecutive Boat Races (both Oxford wins) and is my college's only Olympian to date. I prefer to enjoy rowing from the riverbank, especially in Eights Week with a glass of something cold in my hand.

PRSOM!
The 1997 Piatnik Oxford-Cambridge Boat Race game, in German, made in Austria.

Oxford Cambridge Boat Race Board Game Piatnik 1997 07.jpg

Oxford Cambridge Boat Race Board Game Piatnik 1997 08.jpg

Oxford Cambridge Boat Race Board Game Piatnik 1997 09.jpg

Lesser Cambridge Dad (looking forward to watching the race on television; in view of concerns about Escherichia coli, I'll remove the card showing the Oxford crew member falling into the Thames)
(edited 4 weeks ago)

Thanks! PRSOM

Lesser Cambridge Dad (PRSOM = Please Rate Some Other Members before rating this member again)
The Cambridge Men’s and Women’s Lightweight Eights both won their rowing races against Oxford today on the same Putney to Mortlake course as the main Boat Race tomorrow. The distance is 4 miles and 374 yards (6.8 km).

Lesser Cambridge Dad
(edited 4 weeks ago)
Men’s Lightweight Eights: Friday 29th March 2024:
https://www.theboatrace.org/news/cambridge-dominates-in-mens-lightweight-boat-race-amidst-challenging-conditions
“Cambridge crossed the finish line with a decisive 5.5-length victory”, in a time of 20 minutes and 15 seconds, 16 seconds ahead of Oxford.

Women’s Lightweight Eights: Friday 29th March 2024:
https://www.theboatrace.org/news/cambridge-womens-lightweight-crew-secures-victory-in-a-tense-battle-against-oxford
“Cambridge crossed the finish line with a convincing 5-length lead, a well-deserved victory that highlighted their strength, strategy, and teamwork”, in a time of 23 minutes and 4 seconds, 15 seconds ahead of Oxford.

Lesser Cambridge Dad
I'm interested to know if officially accepting an offer from Clare College to study at Cambridge (putting it as 1st choice on UCAS) triggers any additional communication or processes? My son hasn't officially indicated that Cambridge is his first choice yet, and I was wondering if it is stopping him from receiving any further information about accommodation/ other information from Clare College or the University?

I'd also be interested to know how the application for accommodation works? Is it on a first come, first served basis, and is there a specific time period / deadline for indicating preferences etc?
I'm interested to know if officially accepting an offer from Clare College to study at Cambridge (putting it as 1st choice on UCAS) triggers any additional communication or processes? My son hasn't officially indicated that Cambridge is his first choice yet, and I was wondering if it is stopping him from receiving any further information about accommodation/ other information from Clare College or the University?
I'd also be interested to know how the application for accommodation works? Is it on a first come, first served basis, and is there a specific time period / deadline for indicating preferences etc?

I do not know the answer to your first question, but Clare would likely be happy to assist with enquiries about all aspects of college life. Colleges are in general welcoming communities. A call or email to the college would probably produce helpful information. If your son is eighteen or older, the college may prefer to communicate with him rather than his parents. I hope that your son will enjoy Cambridge and thrive there.
(edited 3 weeks ago)

My son has not indicated his choices on UCAS yet but it’s not stopped him from receiving information from any of his offer Unis incl. Cambridge. His Cambridge college have been in touch about various forms to be filled etc. They do request you inform the college (by direct email) if Cambridge is your first choice even if you haven’t made your selections on UCAS. They have also informed him that accommodation choices will be made only in Aug/ Sep after meeting offer conditions.
(edited 3 weeks ago)
Congratulations to Cambridge for wins in both the men’s and women’s Boat Race on the Thames today! Congratulations also to the Cambridge reserve men’s team who won their race, but commiserations to the Cambridge reserve women’s team, who lost to Oxford. The men’s and women’s main races were rather exciting and somewhat controversial!

Lesser Cambridge Dad
(edited 3 weeks ago)
Original post by ExtantThylacine
Congratulations to Cambridge for wins in both the men’s and women’s Boat Race on the Thames today! Congratulations also to the Cambridge reserve men’s team who won their race, but commiserations to the Cambridge reserve women’s team, who lost to Oxford. The men’s and women’s main races were rather exciting and controversial!
Lesser Cambridge Dad

Brilliant result. Well Cambridge and all the winning crews.

Your son has not missed out on anything by not confirming yet. Unlike other unis, you don’t usually have to apply for accommodation at Cambridge, as they arrange it for you since it is guaranteed. They will just ask if you have any preference or requirements regarding accommodation, but that will all be done later. Your son just needs to confirm by the UCAS deadline, and then of course achieve his grade requirements.
A bit of a difficult question…my daughter was minded to put Cambridge as her firm choice, but went to the offer holders’ day (St Johns), and was horrified to discover that well over 50% of offer holders could not really speak English, and also they were overwhelming males. She thinks the only people that can be happy at St John’s are very sporty boys. She was pooled to St John’s from Corpus. She is now wondering if she will regret forever turning down Cambridge and I do not know what to say. The 3 students who spoke to the parents were indeed boys, probably sporty…she is very hard working, self-motivated and obviously doing very well academically, but she wants also a nice environment at university. Is her view of St John’s correct?
Original post by Anonymous #14
A bit of a difficult question…my daughter was minded to put Cambridge as her firm choice, but went to the offer holders’ day (St Johns), and was horrified to discover that well over 50% of offer holders could not really speak English, and also they were overwhelming males. She thinks the only people that can be happy at St John’s are very sporty boys. She was pooled to St John’s from Corpus. She is now wondering if she will regret forever turning down Cambridge and I do not know what to say. The 3 students who spoke to the parents were indeed boys, probably sporty…she is very hard working, self-motivated and obviously doing very well academically, but she wants also a nice environment at university. Is her view of St John’s correct?

That does not sound correct. They would not have got in if they could not “really speak English”. The male to female ratio is also well balanced, with 52/48 ratio for the 2022 intake.
Men’s Boat Race: Saturday 30th March 2024:
https://www.theboatrace.org/results/the-mens-boat-race
Cambridge win by 3 1/2 lengths in a time of 18 minutes and 56 seconds.

Women’s Boat Race: Saturday 30th March 2024:
https://www.theboatrace.org/results/the-womens-boat-race
Cambridge win by 7 lengths in a time of 21 minutes and 1 second.

Lesser Cambridge Dad

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending