The Student Room Group

Cambridge Parents Association

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ReadingMum
Hello All
My daughter has an offer for Vet Med at Clare - it's all very exciting. She is still making her final choices for UCAS but it is 90% Cambridge 10% Liverpool atm. She will go to the offer holders day in a couple of weeks which may answer any remaining questions.

My sister's in her second year at Clare and it's beautiful :heart: They also get exclusive access to Clare College Bridge that links two different parts of the college (Memorial Court and Old Court) and the views from that bridge are just gorgeous.
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by Doones
There's no rush. Many don't order it until they arrive, and many colleges sell off 2nd hand gowns too. (And buying one before achieving the offer might be a tad previous... :wink: )

Ryder and Amies is a lovely shop, and close to the best Chelsea buns in the world...

That's what I was thinking (about being previous). The best thing after getting your grades at A2 is to go into Oxford/Cambridge to buy the gown. The Great Gown Buying Ceremony is a fabulous experience.
Original post by ReadingMum
Hello All
My daughter has an offer for Vet Med at Clare - it's all very exciting. She is still making her final choices for UCAS but it is 90% Cambridge 10% Liverpool atm. She will go to the offer holders day in a couple of weeks which may answer any remaining questions.

My son was going to apply to Cambridge for Vet Med but switched to medicine. M was quite keen on Peterhouse.
Original post by Blue_Cow
Looks like you've started a nice little community here :wink: Congratulations to your daughter.

Glad to see the thread is up and running, with some happy and bubbly contributors.
Reply 24
Original post by Oxford Mum
That's what I was thinking (about being previous). The best thing after getting your grades at A2 is to go into Oxford/Cambridge to buy the gown. The Great Gown Buying Ceremony is a fabulous experience.

We live in West Wales which is 5-6 hours from Cambridge so need to take the opportunity when in the city hence my daughter planning to get hers on the offer holders day in Feb. As she has an unconditional offer there is no risk of being previous 🙂
Original post by dking2001
We live in West Wales which is 5-6 hours from Cambridge so need to take the opportunity when in the city hence my daughter planning to get hers on the offer holders day in Feb. As she has an unconditional offer there is no risk of being previous 🙂

That's absolutely awesome :smile:
Reply 26

Also she will need less wet weather gear in Cambridge than West Wales but more cold weather gear... the winter wind seems to blow in directly off The Russian Steppes!
I have seen that there has been an Oxford Parents Group running for the best part of a year now and the content seems really useful for parents of existing and prospective students.

I have searched but cannot find a comparative thread for Cambridge.

@Doones Do you know if a group already exists? If not could we use this to start such a group for Cambridge Parents?

There is already a non-Oxford parents thread :smile:
Original post by Muttley79

But that is not a lot of good for parents who wish to discuss the special problems and have specific questions about Cambridge would it!
Original post by Scotney
But that is not a lot of good for parents who wish to discuss the special problems and have specific questions about Cambridge would it!

It's up to them what they post :smile:

Why do parents feel they need these threads? There' so much information out there already ... people coped very well before the internet!
Reply 31

Why do parents feel they need these threads? There' so much information out there already ... people coped very well before the internet!

Surely the same logic could be applied to the vast majority of threads on TSR. Very little is unique in which case the question becomes why have forums at all? You seem an active participant in them perhaps you could respond?

The people who went to Cambridge before the internet did not have any questions. Their schools and parents already knew the answers.
Surely the same logic could be applied to the vast majority of threads on TSR. Very little is unique in which case the question becomes why have forums at all? You seem an active participant in them perhaps you could respond?

There's no need for information for parents there's abundant sources!

I'm on here to help students with Mathematics - you can't get a hint on how to solve a question from other websites. I also support uni blogs and point to good resources.

Lord alone knows why I feel the need to post in a filthy Tab thread ( :ninja: ) but if there's a demand for the thread (which there clearly is, even if it's just a few people) and it's not hurting anyone, then what's the problem? :dontknow:

I can't count how many PMs I've had over the past almost-12 years from worried (prospective) Oxbridge parents. I think anything that connects people with similar worries together in an open forum can only be a good thing, so that they can get answers from knowledgeable people! :yep: In any case, not everything about Oxbridge can be accurately/adequately gauged from the Internet :nope:
Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd
Lord alone knows why I feel the need to post in a filthy Tab thread ( :ninja: ) but if there's a demand for the thread (which there clearly is, even if it's just a few people) and it's not hurting anyone, then what's the problem? :dontknow:

I can't count how many PMs I've had over the past almost-12 years from worried (prospective) Oxbridge parents. I think anything that connects people with similar worries together in an open forum can only be a good thing, so that they can get answers from knowledgeable people! :yep: In any case, not everything about Oxbridge can be accurately/adequately gauged from the Internet :nope:

There must be something 'different' that my non-Oxford thread open to ANY parent has received no posts. WHY is it only Oxbridge parents that seems to 'need' this support. I'm sorry to say that I think I know why - as a teacher I've heard it all.
Reply 36

There is an entire forum for all parents: The Parent Room.

There's no need for information for parents there's abundant sources!

I'm on here to help students with Mathematics - you can't get a hint on how to solve a question from other websites. I also support uni blogs and point to good resources.

There's abundant resources on Maths elsewhere, or about the UCAS process or Student Finance, or on university life, or for online games even, or caring for hamsters, or whatever. Doesn't mean that TSR can't host all those and more too - including a couple of threads for Oxbridge parents.

If you don't have anything constructive to contribute in this thread please find one where you can.
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd

I can't count how many PMs I've had over the past 12 years from worried (prospective) Oxbridge parents. I think anything that connects people with similar worries together in an open forum can only be a good thing, so that they can get answers from knowledgeable people! :yep: In any case, not everything about Oxbridge can be accurately/adequately gauged from the Internet :nope:

Yes, I have had many pm's from worried students and parents (500 at one time). Just this week I have had three enquiries about German and two about medicine. Also there were several prospective parents who pm'd me a lot.. There was one father in particular who messaged me loads and I was very happy to reply. Now he is the proud father of a medicine offer holder, the first ever in their comprehensive school.

The questions he asked were very specific and he felt comfortable enough to message me multiple times. And the advice was free of charge. Where would he find this elsewhere on the internet?
Reply 38
Original post by Doones
Also she will need less wet weather gear in Cambridge than West Wales but more cold weather gear... the winter wind seems to blow in directly off The Russian Steppes!

Oh dear. We recently received news that we will be making trips to the ‘Windy City’ for the next 4 years. At least we won’t have to dig out the Parkas every 8 weeks for this one...
Original post by Doones
There is an entire forum for all parents: The Parent Room.
There's abundant resources on Maths elsewhere, or about the UCAS process or Student Finance, or on university life, or for online games even, or caring for hamsters, or whatever. Doesn't mean that TSR can't host all those and more too - including a couple of threads for Oxbridge parents.

If you don't have anything constructive to contribute in this thread please find one where you can.

Please show me a Maths website where you can post a problem you are stuck on? I don't know of one and I'll support on there as well.

The problem with these threads is that the 'push' for Oxbridge or bust is giving a false impression that these universities are the best for everyone and all degrees. That is just not so; the situation has changed significantly in the last ten years. Invested parents do not always give unbiased and wise advice.

Oxbridge is great for the right degree and the right student- I have students going to both every year. My focus is the right university for every student so they can thrive and go on to get the career they want.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending