The Student Room Group

Cambridge Parents Association

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Doones
As mentioned, reddit - there are GCSE and 6thForm subs
e.g. https://www.reddit.com/r/6thForm/comments/egrtm7/help_needed_for_maths_homework/

But that's not really the point. Yes TSR does some things very well. It's why it exists.

Just like threads like this.

Nobody is disputing this. I certainly haven't.

Not all parents have children at private schools... I didn't...

And what does "Not all parents have the internet" got to do with TSR? TSR can't solve everything!

It can though, for the few that want to know, help with questions like where/when should I (or my child) get their college gown. Even many private schools won't want to be bothered by (or know the answer to) that sort of question.

This thread was created by a parent. If you don't like it, find some unanswered maths threads instead - e.g. the STEP prep thread.

I find that parents also want to know what to take to Oxbridge, and how to drop their kids' stuff off at college. Is it true that Cambridge parents have quite specific time slots? We can turn up whenever we want within reason and park for about 40 mins. I live so far that I had to get up at 4.30am to make sure of a parking space. At least now DS is living off campus.
Original post by Oxford Mum
I find that parents also want to know what to take to Oxbridge, and how to drop their kids' stuff off at college. Is it true that Cambridge parents have quite specific time slots? We can turn up whenever we want within reason and park for about 40 mins. I live so far that I had to get up at 4.30am to make sure of a parking space. At least now DS is living off campus.

Depends very much on the College and accommodation. Some have no road frontage, some rely on scarce trolley to lug around kit etc. so have a tight schedule. Others have no such logistical problems and rely on different journey times etc. Most now schedule just by asking people to arrive on different days, because the reality of travel within about 10 miles of Cambridge is that you can't schedule to +/- 60 minutes unless on foot or bike!
SO sad that some people have to criticise me personally rater than just disagreeing with me; I won;t descend to your level to respond. Some very selective responses too - you CANNOT use American websites for Maths as their terminology is different.

Thanks you for your kind advice as to which threads I may post on; I see it was felt necessary to rally the troops ...
Original post by Peasedown
Congratulations , we were in the same position last year but my daughter initially favoured Liverpool due to their great equine hospital and had spent years getting the work experience she needed but in the end firmed Cambridge having changed her mind each week almost up until the UCAS deadline which was very stressful for her parents! Her college DOS made a big effort to make all the offer holders feel welcome before and during the open day and having spoken to the 2 Cambridge qualified vets she had previously done work experience with she finally decided to accept the Cambridge offer. She is having a fantastic time, she loves the course her DOS is great and the social life is amazing and she does have time for both which she was worried about.
I am sure your daughter will love her time at either university and if she has any questions please message me and I will try and answer them and I wish her success with her exams.

I am glad to hear your daughter is enjoying her course and the social life of Cambridge.I just wondered if you would mind saying what college she is at in case any parents had questions about it.
Original post by dking2001
My daughter is thinking of getting her gown next month when she attends an offer holder day. Plan is to order from Ryderamies and collect in person on the day. Anyone know if this is the best place to get one from?

My daughter is now in her Third Year at a Cambridge College. .... The gown might be a few quid cheaper from College or College JCR (Students Union). Those entities might also benefit a bit, if only in being shown to be useful on yet another small but significant detail. Also helps the student start to budget a bit. ... I would email the JCR and then, if needed, the Porters Lodge.
Regarding bicycles, best to wait a few weeks before buying one there.

The student may discover that they do not really need it - mine doesn't. A few decide that the 'ferocious' bikers and the two 'bike rush hours' are a bit much. ... And the prices fall significantly by the middle of the term.

That said, if your child is certain of needing or wanting a bike, then best to approach the College JCR and the College itself by respective emails. Many finalists want to sell theirs and some just leave them behind.
Reply 66
Original post by ParentSaraG

The student may discover that they do not really need it - mine doesn't. A few decide that the 'ferocious' bikers and the two 'bike rush hours' are a bit much. ... And the prices fall significantly by the middle of the term.

That said, if your child is certain of needing or wanting a bike, then best to approach the College JCR and the College itself by respective emails. Many finalists want to sell theirs and some just leave them behind.

100% agree with all this.

And a brand new shiny bike will disappear very quickly :frown:
Original post by ParentSaraG

Oh thanks for the info!
Original post by ReadingMum
Hello All
My daughter has an offer for Vet Med at Clare - it's all very exciting. She is still making her final choices for UCAS but it is 90% Cambridge 10% Liverpool atm. She will go to the offer holders day in a couple of weeks which may answer any remaining questions.

Hi I wasn't aware there was an offer holders day for Clare. Is it only for Vet Med?
Original post by bluebloom
Hi I wasn't aware there was an offer holders day for Clare. Is it only for Vet Med?

It is for vet med across the colleges - I discovered that when I booked her on it. Some of their communication is a little unclear
Original post by PeteM01
Oh dear. We recently received news that we will be making trips to the ‘Windy City’ for the next 4 years. At least we won’t have to dig out the Parkas every 8 weeks for this one...

I seem to have missed this news Congratulations it is fantastic to get the chance to study at both places. Phd I presume?What college is your offspring headed for? Son is just coming up for first year report so will be relieved when that is over.
I shall await your restaurant tips with anticipation. The Galleria is our best find so far.
Original post by dking2001
Absolutely agree. Funnily enough when my daughter first considered her colleges she ruled out the all female colleges. However she went to see Newnham on an open day and completely fell in love with it, both the buildings and the friendly supportive atmosphere. From then on it became her first choice college and she was over the moon to get a direct offer to study there.

Just noticed there are some lovely shots of Newnham in Granchester from last night((just watching on catch-up and thought I know those herbaceous borders!
Original post by Scotney
I seem to have missed this news Congratulations it is fantastic to get the chance to study at both places. Phd I presume?What college is your offspring headed for? Son is just coming up for first year report so will be relieved when that is over.
I shall await your restaurant tips with anticipation. The Galleria is our best find so far.

There is a nice little Thai place down a back street. If you are interested I will look it up for you. Apparently they also have The Ivy (as do Oxford) if you fancy something upmarket (but the Oxford one is apparently not as good as the London ones).

OK so Byron burger isn't anything special, but their banana milkshakes are to die for.
Original post by Scotney
Just noticed there are some lovely shots of Newnham in Granchester from last night((just watching on catch-up and thought I know those herbaceous borders!

I love the Newnham gardens and Newnham in general. Looks like a very restful place to study. Have not been in the new building yet though.
Original post by Doones
100% agree with all this.

And a brand new shiny bike will disappear very quickly :frown:

Try to avoid quick release wheels, don't leave it in on-street racks where possible overnight, and get a decent lock - Kryptonite ones are pretty good. Try to get a D-lock or heavy duty chain. The rope/coil kind of ones are almost universally the ones cut of friends who had theirs nicked.

I bought myself a lovely new Pendleton as a gift to myself last year and have been super conscious of it ever since lol
Original post by Paralove
Try to avoid quick release wheels, don't leave it in on-street racks where possible overnight, and get a decent lock - Kryptonite ones are pretty good. Try to get a D-lock or heavy duty chain. The rope/coil kind of ones are almost universally the ones cut of friends who had theirs nicked.

I bought myself a lovely new Pendleton as a gift to myself last year and have been super conscious of it ever since lol

Great advice here.
Reply 76
Original post by Scotney

Thanks, although I must say I did try to dissuade them from a) doing a PhD in the first place, and then b) remaining inside the Oxbridge bubble. Clearly unsuccessful in both cases, so I will just have to live with the consequences. Fortunately, Cam is closer for us than Ox, but I imagine that we will only visit twice a year. No idea of college as yet but at least the funding is secure.

All restaurant hints gratefully accepted!
(edited 2 years ago)
Well done Pete, that’s quite an achievement
Re bikes... agree with general sentiments re waiting & seeing, with one exception - anyone looking to do sport!

Some of the teams organise pre-season training including freshers, & certainly my DD would have been stuck without a bike from the get go.

And yes, older the better & invest in a D lock!
Reply 79
Have to admit I have never seen Grantchester (though I did see some of it being filmed in Corpus Christi last year). Think I'll have a look on catch-up. Thanks.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending