The Student Room Group

Applied to so many jobs but never heard back or didn't get it when interviewed

Hi I REALLY need a job I would literally take anything but I have applied to SOOOOO many but I have either never heard back or when I've been interviewed (literally had 6 within the last year) I haven't gotten the job. I have experience behind me and that's mainly what jobs I'm applying for and I personally think I do quite well in interviews (admittedly I do get nervous and shy) but other than that I give great answers, make eye contact etc and I've kind of put it down to my looks the reason I don't get them? I am UGLY (not even exaggerating) but it's not like I don't make an effort in my appearance and I know that obviously sometimes people are a better fit but I've been to so many before where I was down to the last 2/3 and didn't get chosen and not surprisingly people who were better looking than me got them and I think could it be me as a person? I do try to come across as friendly and happy as possible but do you think maybe when I go they see me and just think "ew we don't want him" but obviously still have to interview me. Even the jobs where you don't need experience and get trained I never hear back from them either? Does anyone have any advice or anything I should add to my CV? Thank you if you take the time to read this and reply :smile:
Try joining community groups where jobs are advertised in your area and even just message small businesses who you think might need some help. I messaged a hair salon, got ignored for a week but then got asked to come in for an interview!! Hope this helps...

P.S. If you think that companies don't want you becauase of your looks then you're probably too good for them. Idiots.
Original post by Anonymous
Hi I REALLY need a job I would literally take anything but I have applied to SOOOOO many but I have either never heard back or when I've been interviewed (literally had 6 within the last year) I haven't gotten the job. I have experience behind me and that's mainly what jobs I'm applying for and I personally think I do quite well in interviews (admittedly I do get nervous and shy) but other than that I give great answers, make eye contact etc and I've kind of put it down to my looks the reason I don't get them? I am UGLY (not even exaggerating) but it's not like I don't make an effort in my appearance and I know that obviously sometimes people are a better fit but I've been to so many before where I was down to the last 2/3 and didn't get chosen and not surprisingly people who were better looking than me got them and I think could it be me as a person? I do try to come across as friendly and happy as possible but do you think maybe when I go they see me and just think "ew we don't want him" but obviously still have to interview me. Even the jobs where you don't need experience and get trained I never hear back from them either? Does anyone have any advice or anything I should add to my CV? Thank you if you take the time to read this and reply :smile:

6 job interviews in 12 months isn't a lot if you're applying for loads of jobs (unless it's a typo). That suggests that there's something amiss with your CV - try posting your CV to the CV Help forum on TSR to get advice on what to improve. Your interview technique may also need work; while giving eye contact and being personable is great, it's also important to answer questions in the right way. The interviewers may also be able to pick up on your low self-esteem too.

When you apply for jobs, do you include a covering letter, or are they purely making decisions based on your CV?
Reply 3
Original post by PhoenixFortune
6 job interviews in 12 months isn't a lot if you're applying for loads of jobs (unless it's a typo). That suggests that there's something amiss with your CV - try posting your CV to the CV Help forum on TSR to get advice on what to improve. Your interview technique may also need work; while giving eye contact and being personable is great, it's also important to answer questions in the right way. The interviewers may also be able to pick up on your low self-esteem too.

When you apply for jobs, do you include a covering letter, or are they purely making decisions based on your CV?

thank you and yes it was a typo, i’ll post it on there soon and how would they be able to notice i’ve got low self esteem but even if they did what does that matter? it doesn’t affect how i work just because i’m insecure /: and yeah just on my cv because with covering letters i cba
yeah just on my cv because with covering letters i cba

There's your problem. If you can't be bothered to complete a covering letter to show your enthusiasm, why do you expect employers to be enthusiastic about picking you to interview?
Reply 5
Original post by PhoenixFortune
There's your problem. If you can't be bothered to complete a covering letter to show your enthusiasm, why do you expect employers to be enthusiastic about picking you to interview?

no i mean i only apply to jobs that require a cv only because i cba to do a covering letter so i don’t apply for those jobs
Reply 6
how do you know these jobs don't require a cover letter? lots of jobs that would like one don't explicitly ask for one. you might be able to apply for Starbucks with an application form, but if you sent along a cover letter at least you would look like a person who's applied for a job before and are taking the application process seriously. telling you this as someone who used to hire people.

unless you're applying to be a model/actor i highly doubt you're not getting the job because you aren't good looking. it *might* be a problem tho if you are not presenting yourself as someone applying for a job. what are you wearing? does it look like you're there to be interviewed or does it look like you've just rolled out of bed?
no i mean i only apply to jobs that require a cv only because i cba to do a covering letter so i don’t apply for those jobs

I doubt you'll have much luck with that approach tbh, a cover letter is generally seen as essential, whether they've asked for it or not, even if it's literally a one paragraph email you've attached your cv to. If you're applying 'CV only' then you are literally in competition with every single yahoo/bot that bothered to click 'Apply now', so it's really no wonder you won't stand out. If you cba making the expected effort there will always be applicants that did.

Depending on the job, the cover letter is the more important bit as people make their first impressions quickly and the letter tells me v quick whether you know the skills the job needs and if you have them, i'm only going to bother with the cv if i'm already interested, but a random cv with no letter? i'll likely put as much effort into reading it as they did into sending it.

As others have said, a CV-only approach is unlikely to work. A covering letter gives the employer an idea of your motivations, how your experience is relevant to the role, and what kind of person you are. If you cba, that already tells them volumes about you (and not in a good way).

Also, are you sending out the same CV to every job, or are you tailoring it to the specific role?
Reply 9
the jobs i apply to are on indeed and it literally says cv only unless it states a cover letter is needed lmao and no i’m not
Reply 10
the jobs i apply to are on indeed and it literally says cv only unless it states a cover letter is needed lmao and no i’m not

Not sending the same CV or not tailoring it?

You are limiting yourself if you apply for CV-only jobs when there are other roles to which you may be better suited, but aren't bothering with.
You say you would literally do anything but won’t apply for jobs requiring a cover letter? Think you need to try a bit harder than that if you want to get anywhere.

Have you tried ringing the places where you applied and heard nothing? Maybe they missed your application so it’s worth a go. When I applied for my first job, I heard nothing for a week so I rang and they said they were impressed by my initiative, and called me back for an interview. I got the job.

Lol don't ask for job help on here. Many people are wealthy or highly educated and literally have no idea what they're talking about. Yes a cover letter? Lol unless it's a small office firm or a small cafe...don't.

Take it from me...

I had six jobs in one year. While it shows I left them all. It also shows I gained them all 😎 lol you know? 😎 Customer support roles, till stuff, shipping and receiving and stocking. All over the country. Not ashamed, I made money.

If you're applying to retail, DO NOT CALL. they hate that. They're cocky, lazy, and don't want to be urged or undermined by an employee or applicant because it reminds them how mediocre they really are. Or they'll answer but say they'll call you and never do. Wait for them or move on. I'll tell you what....you're underestimating competition. Far more people are applying than ya think. These managers have a nasty first come first served attitude because they're too lazy to do their job and go through applications and read and personally contact the right people, or everyone and interview them all. They hate doing that, I've seen it. It's mental. Or they literally only take applications that include employee referral. That means someone who works there already put in a word for you, and you put their name down. The employee gets hella money for it. Thus begins nepotism and cliques.

Just apply to Amazon warehouse. It's for people who are average and below average people or skilled people who are on their own.
Original post by Bang Outta Order
Lol don't ask for job help on here. Many people are wealthy or highly educated and literally have no idea what they're talking about. Yes a cover letter? Lol unless it's a small office firm or a small cafe...don't.

Take it from me...

I had six jobs in one year. While it shows I left them all. It also shows I gained them all 😎 lol you know? 😎 Customer support roles, till stuff, shipping and receiving and stocking. All over the country. Not ashamed, I made money.

If you're applying to retail, DO NOT CALL. they hate that. They're cocky, lazy, and don't want to be urged or undermined by an employee or applicant because it reminds them how mediocre they really are. Or they'll answer but say they'll call you and never do. Wait for them or move on. I'll tell you what....you're underestimating competition. Far more people are applying than ya think. These managers have a nasty first come first served attitude because they're too lazy to do their job and go through applications and read and personally contact the right people, or everyone and interview them all. They hate doing that, I've seen it. It's mental. Or they literally only take applications that include employee referral. That means someone who works there already put in a word for you, and you put their name down. The employee gets hella money for it. Thus begins nepotism and cliques.

Just apply to Amazon warehouse. It's for people who are average and below average people or skilled people who are on their own.

thank you someone who understands my point and i know literally everyone who has replied to me is probably some manager or in a higher position and literally nobody bothers with a cover letter so they all need to shut up and i would but there’s no amazon warehouse near me but thanks man i appreciate it :smile:
thank you someone who understands my point and i know literally everyone who has replied to me is probably some manager or in a higher position and literally nobody bothers with a cover letter so they all need to shut up and i would but there’s no amazon warehouse near me but thanks man i appreciate it :smile:

You can't bus it or something? It's good as a catch up to grab cash..

I can see that you are of the mindset to only take advice from someone who agrees with your viewpoint; telling people who are giving you advice you don't what to hear to 'shut up' is all most people need to know. Don't worry about the people who got jobs by including a cover letter, as you don't seem to want to be one of them.

Good luck with your job search.

No wonder you haven't got a job :colonhash:

Even a "small cafe" wouldn't hire you given the way you talk to people (your character) and your lack of work ethic.

You "really" want a job, so bad that you've come to TSR for advice.
Yet when individuals experienced in the area offer it to you, you choose to ignore it.

Sort yourself out :cyber:

CV = essential (for ALL jobs - you need to tailor it to each individual job by going through their 'Job description').

Cover letter = essential (it allows employer's to get a glimpse of your character, commitments, and learn a bit more than the standard CV).

Personally, I'm not surprising at all that you haven't got a job yet :biggrin:

You're rude, arrogant, and clearly lack some important interpersonal skills - which ALL employers require.

Good luck I guess :u:
In all my years I have never sent a cover letter to anyone, most people barely read your CV let alone a letter on top of that.

Tweaking your CV can be worthwhile to cover whatever they are asking for in the ad which is generally a minor variation of everyone else if they are the same type of job.

Job hunting is a soul destroying experience of being constantly ignored, sometimes you are lucky to even get an automated response.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending