The Student Room Group

emergent problem about brunel university network

This morning i suddenly found my PC unable to connect the network, and it checked out with the result that my AV and spyware protection appear to be turned off which are actually on! Although I have reinstalled the AV, but it seems do not work at all. BTW I'm using windows 7 which does not allow me to register the Brunel University Connect Assistant. I feel desperate cause I cant connect my pc with Wifi or the wired. Anyone Could Help?
Hi,

Take it step by step:-

Firstly, are your programs all working normally? e.g. MS Word, Adobe Reader, etc?
Secondly, this message saying that your AV is turned off: how professional-looking is it? Is the spelling/grammar of it correct? Are the logos a bit unclear?

My feeling is that this is something a bit dodgy-sounding i.e. a hacker or fraudster at work - have you visited any new or funny websites recently? Have you installed or downloaded something new.
If the answers to most of the above is "no", then I would give your computer a rebirth to start with i.e. do a system restore to a point b4 the problem start time: Go to Start > Programs > System > System Restore. It will take about 20 minutes, and will not affect your data, but I would back it up b4 doing this, just in case.

If this does not work i.e. sort your problem, then you might need to reinstall Windows, which is a bit more advanced and takes longer - you will need your Windows disk if your laptop came with one - otherwise you can do it from the operating system partition (a part of your hard disk that is reserved for Windows).
Keep me updated on your progress - I am happy to guide you.

If you are not very conversant with computers at all, another option is to take your PC to the PC helpdesk at your uni - usually situated in the main library - they are trained to handle most common issues.

M (MSc CS)
Original post by jjccoollll
This morning i suddenly found my PC unable to connect the network, and it checked out with the result that my AV and spyware protection appear to be turned off which are actually on! Although I have reinstalled the AV, but it seems do not work at all. BTW I'm using windows 7 which does not allow me to register the Brunel University Connect Assistant. I feel desperate cause I cant connect my pc with Wifi or the wired. Anyone Could Help?

Register it as a linux device then you dont need the connect assistant failing that go and take it to help desk in the bannerman centre they can manually approve it

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending