The Student Room Group
Students at Cornwall campus, University of Exeter
University of Exeter
Exeter

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
I'll be 22 as well! :yep: You can hang out with me if the freshers get on your nerves - mind you, I might get on them too :biggrin:
Students at Cornwall campus, University of Exeter
University of Exeter
Exeter
Reply 21
Haha it takes a lot for anything to get on my nerves - I must be too mild mannered, I guess!

You'll be 22 and a fresher? This gives me hope that not everyone will be 'straight outta sixth form' wet behind the ears 18 year olds :smile: Not to say it won't be fun or anything like that, but I think I've matured quite a bit those past three years. Now where did I leave my pipe and slippers?
Reply 22
I will indeed be a fresher - though closer to a mature student! :redface: I had a few years out with illness, and likewise, I feel I probably have a different attitude to those coming straight from school.

I was considering hunting out some postgrads to adopt me and take me to their events, as they'll be closer in age, and maybe more likely to be introverted geeks comme moi :biggrin:
Reply 23
True, thats probably the best thing for it - postgrads will be closer our sort of age. Even so I'm kinda nervous going back to halls!
lmcorr
True, thats probably the best thing for it - postgrads will be closer our sort of age. Even so I'm kinda nervous going back to halls!

I will be 22 when I go back as well and I don't think you have a lot to worry about. I just finished another A-level with people who will be going into uni this year and the age difference didn't make any difference. Of course it won't be the same for everyone, but I doubt it will be a problem unless you freak out about it.
Reply 25
Birks Grange Block B for me :smile:.
Glad to know where I am going now but I'm not really sure on what the room sizes, beds etc are actually like...
Does anyone know?? :smile:
x
Reply 26
Beds are 4ft double beds I think, luxury compared to your plastic mattress Lafrowda standard hoodlum issue!

Plus theres an En-Suite in Birks, its quite small I think but still convenient if you don't want to traipse down the hall.
Reply 27
Emzy-Lou
Birks Grange Block B for me :smile:.
Glad to know where I am going now but I'm not really sure on what the room sizes, beds etc are actually like...
Does anyone know?? :smile:
x

rooms are a pretty good size, definitely enough space to fit quite a few people in for pre drinks :^_^:

get a double duvet set for the bed and it will fit perfectly i promise

there are few pictures here (go to the middle of page 6)
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=519708&page=6

there is also a massive desk with shelves, mini fridge and cupboard but i missed it in the photos, i'm not sure how :s-smilie:

i really loved my room last year and will definitely miss it this year :puppyeyes:

oh and as you are in block B you get a lift you lucky thing! no struggling up stairs with suitcases and boxes for you
Reply 28
kayzy
rooms are a pretty good size, definitely enough space to fit quite a few people in for pre drinks :^_^:

get a double duvet set for the bed and it will fit perfectly i promise

there are few pictures here (go to the middle of page 6)
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=519708&page=6

there is also a massive desk with shelves, mini fridge and cupboard but i missed it in the photos, i'm not sure how :s-smilie:

i really loved my room last year and will definitely miss it this year :puppyeyes:

oh and as you are in block B you get a lift you lucky thing! no struggling up stairs with suitcases and boxes for you

Yay, especially with all the stuff to bring :p:
Should be good then:smile:
Thankyou!
Bottom of a big hill though, nice workout in the morning :rolleyes:
Emzy-Lou
Yay, especially with all the stuff to bring :p:
Should be good then:smile:
Thankyou!
Bottom of a big hill though, nice workout in the morning :rolleyes:

Not as bottom as Cook Mews :wink: Its a fun walk in the end...and it gives you *GOOD* legs =D
I'm in Penny C. block D :smile:.

which was my first choice.

so v.happy :biggrin:
Reply 31
I'm in Hope Hall Single Enhanced...so i presume i am in the main house. V. happy as it was my first choice so now lloking forward to uni. Anyone know what Hope Hall is like eg room rwise etc.
Reply 32
danfl2004
I'm in Hope Hall Single Enhanced...so i presume i am in the main house. V. happy as it was my first choice so now lloking forward to uni. Anyone know what Hope Hall is like eg room rwise etc.

At this present point in time, I am actually in Hope Hall at the moment. Out of all of the halls, this would definitely be my choice second only to Lafrowda. I had never stepped foot in here till last Tuesday, and I'm really liking it so far, it has so much character! This place is what I'd imagine Hogwarts to be like if such a place ever existed, it seems quite ornate and Victorian, and like I say does have bags of character.

The staircases are wide and swooping and the corridors are long and open, I could imagine this place as before like a convent or girls school. The rooms are a nice size, I'm in a single enhanced at the moment, theres a bar, tv room and library around the corner. Its all very cosy. Just a shame it doesnt have double glazing, but then with a listed building its not the done thing...
Reply 33
It is lovely, I grant you that lmcorr - but I am surprised that you would seriously consider choosing it after Lafrowda, only because most people who are self-catered tend to find the catered arrangement really impractical at best or intolerable at worst (and vice versa). Not many people are prepared to change between the two (i.e. catered/self catered).

And wasn't part of Hope Hall actually an all-girls section (the Nunnery) at some point? Or was that Lopes? So you may not be far off the mark there!
Reply 34
To be honest, I am surprised as well - getting up for breakfast at 8 has been a complete chore, but in the end well worth it. The dining room looks like it could easily host a ballroom dancing event, again another room that has bags of character - just one of these things that makes a difference to me.

I was also in Penny C for one night last week, but to be honest didn't entirely like it. It reminded me too much of Birks or Holland, a couple of places I feel have no soul or character, those big heavy self-locking fire doors segregating each floor, really does leave me cold. But here, I could quite happily live here.. It does get a little cold at night but is to be expected with sash windows, aside from that I bet in term time this place is so much fun!
I really hope I hear soon... =/ My choices in order were Penny C, Hope and Birks.
Reply 36
I didn't get my first offer either. I wanted to go to Lafrowda but I got in Cook Mews instead. Still looking forward to it though.
What's Cook like? Anyone else going?
city_chic
I really hope I hear soon... =/ My choices in order were Penny C, Hope and Birks.

Good luck :smile:.
I'm so glad i got my first choice. made me feel alot better about going.

those were my choices too :smile:.
Reply 38
Ramble
I didn't get my first offer either. I wanted to go to Lafrowda but I got in Cook Mews instead. Still looking forward to it though.
What's Cook like? Anyone else going?

Cook is great - like Lafrowda but just in a different location really and not so prison-block-looking :p: Sephrenia will soon be online singing its praises!
city_chic

I think you've got a pretty good chance of getting one of your choices :smile:
Penny C and Birks are massive places, and Birks is not as sought after as Holland and other older catered halls.

Latest

Trending

Trending