The Student Room Group

Driving

I had a driving test today. It was going so well, then a gust of wind blew the front of my car and the L plate flew off. We stopped on the side of the road to go and find it but it was nowhere to be seen😭. The instructor cancelled the test, got in a bus and left me on the side of the road. I had to wait for my dad to walk to me to drive home as I couldn't without my L plates. Will I get a refund? I'm furious this has happened. I have tried for my test 3 times now.
Reply 1
That's awful. I don't know the answers to your question but your examiner needs a complaint if s/he just abandoned you like that.
This sounds like a ridiculous situation.

But this is why I would never stick a plate to the outside of a car.
Meh, I doubt you'd get a refund tbh, as it's an issue with your own car not meeting the regulations, as much as it was through a gust of wind. Bad luck neither of you had a spare. Personally i'd have asked in the sudden circumstances if it was acceptable to drive directly to a garage and buy a new one. The worst they can say is no.

There isn't much else the examiner can really do tbh? You're not allowed to drive the car, they can't drive the car for you and they're on the clock with another test to get back to, they can't just kick about on the hope you get someone to quickly come and move the car and take them back to the test centre
Original post by StriderHort
I doubt you'd get a refund tbh, as it's an issue with your own car not meeting the regulations, as much as it was through a gust of wind. Bad luck neither of you had a spare. Personally i'd have asked in the sudden circumstances if it was acceptable to drive directly to a garage and buy a new one. The worst they can say is no.

There isn't much else the examiner can really do tbh? You're not allowed to drive the car, they can't drive the car for you and they're on the clock with another test to get back to

This is basically correct. Contrary to what someone else said, the 'L' plates SHOULD be clearly visible on the outside of the car and they need to be fixed securely in place, this is your responsibility, not the examiners. In this situation the examiner has no alternative but to terminate the test, you would be breaking the law to continue driving.

The best the examiner can do is to ask if you wanted to accompany them back to the test centre and to leave the car where it was. Was this option offered?

As for asking for a refund I'm afraid this will not happen, as stated earlier, it is your responsibility to provide a vehicle which is suitable for the test.

Regards
Don L Gate
UK Driving Skills
Original post by Shalom5
I had a driving test today. It was going so well, then a gust of wind blew the front of my car and the L plate flew off. We stopped on the side of the road to go and find it but it was nowhere to be seen😭. The instructor cancelled the test, got in a bus and left me on the side of the road. I had to wait for my dad to walk to me to drive home as I couldn't without my L plates. Will I get a refund? I'm furious this has happened. I have tried for my test 3 times now.

Bad luck, although it can't have been attached very well - I doubt that the wind was over 70mph, which you could attain whilst driving.

Better luck (and attachment ..) next time.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending