The Student Room Group

Sports Direct

Scroll to see replies

Original post by MissLightyear
I dont go to uni so have no other commitments which definitely helps. Because im always working I have learned so much more and gained more responsibility, but when youre at college/uni its really hard to do when youre availability is less and you only really work weekends.

Because im free I get the chance to go to other stores working, it really changes your opinion on your own store doing it!

Ah fair enough :smile:
Yeah at the moment I'm working every two weeks but I'm all up for doing a shift on a day when I'm supposed to be off :redface: but I'm gonna try and see if I can do any extra shifts during the October half term holiday :redface: but I think I'll be getting shifts like I have had during the summer holidays during the Christmas holidays :biggrin: :redface:!
Oh that's good :biggrin: I haven't had the chance to work at other stores yet..

Posted from TSR Mobile
When does the christmas rush start?
Original post by Eternal*
When does the christmas rush start?

Trying to remember from last year, I'd say towards end of November is when people start majorly present shopping but I think the 2-3 weeks before Christmas was the busiest.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Paralove
Trying to remember from last year, I'd say towards end of November is when people start majorly present shopping but I think the 2-3 weeks before Christmas was the busiest.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah from what I could remember it was a bit mad :redface:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1784
Original post by ohhello92x
Yeah from what I could remember it was a bit mad :redface:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I used to love the Xmas rush though!
I used to work in a local food/freezer store, so it was really nice!

I'm definitely not a fan of Xmas, but you could have a nice chat with the customers, have a look at special Xmas offers, and just have a good time.

But now working at a major sports retailer, I'm going to want to kill myself... -_-

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Luke_Mckeown
I used to love the Xmas rush though!
I used to work in a local food/freezer store, so it was really nice!

I'm definitely not a fan of Xmas, but you could have a nice chat with the customers, have a look at special Xmas offers, and just have a good time.

But now working at a major sports retailer, I'm going to want to kill myself... -_-

Posted from TSR Mobile

Aw bless :redface:
Hearing Xmas songs get me in the Christmassy mood :biggrin: so nothing got me down when working last December :biggrin: :redface:!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Aw bless :redface:
Hearing Xmas songs get me in the Christmassy mood :biggrin: so nothing got me down when working last December :biggrin: :redface:!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Reminds me that the soundtrack changes too at christmas!! They're the Christmas songs but not the proper ones, just covers. I hate the one normally though I mean they can't even sing properly -.-'

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reminds me that the soundtrack changes too at christmas!! They're the Christmas songs but not the proper ones, just covers. I hate the one normally though I mean they can't even sing properly -.-'

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah the singers on the songs at SD can't sing properly anyway -.-
But the Christmas music last year at work did put me in a Christmassy mood, even though they're the cover tracks..

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yeah the singers on the songs at SD can't sing properly anyway -.-
But the Christmas music last year at work did put me in a Christmassy mood, even though they're the cover tracks..

Posted from TSR Mobile

Same! Find it easier to sell B4Ls then too hahahaaaa

Posted from TSR Mobile
Same! Find it easier to sell B4Ls then too hahahaaaa

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hahaa yep :biggrin: :tongue:! I find the b4l the easiest KPI ahaa..

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1790
Words can't comprehend how much I hate Christmas songs.

I think I'm going to be the store "grinch"...

Posted from TSR Mobile

Posted from TSR Mobile

I hate Christmas songs too. I worked in a hotel some years ago and me and someone else put on Mr Hanky the Christmas poo as we were so sick of Christmas songs and no-one actually batted an eyelid.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1792
Hi guys, just wanted some advice as I can see a lot of you work in Sports Direct. Basically I had an interview on Monday which I think went well as Tuesday evening they texted me to say I was successfull and to come in on Wednesday with a copy of my NI number and passport, which I did. So my question is, what happens next? And how long until i start training or shifts etc?

Thanks in advance!
Once you apply online, how long does it roughly take for them to get back to you? Also, is it by email or phone?

Reply 1794
Did anyone else notice they increased the bags for life again?... This time, by 1p! WTF hahaha

Posted from TSR Mobile

I've worked at your store before and I did not enjoy it, although I was going through a rough time back then. MT was very understanding though, I got on with that manager the most. I moved back home and still work at Sports Direct and now I'm enjoying it - they've just moved me onto shoes due to the fact that I can hit 20% BFL on exchanges, therefore they thought my shoe KPIs would be good too. And they are - I can hold Sondico up at 50% and I make lots of commission on the insoles. I also had my first shift on running recently and sold a D30 shoe with 2 packs of Karrimor socks!!

The trick isn't necessarily what you know, but how you put yourself across. Obviously you need to have some sort of understanding of the product, but you need to sound as though you care. Sondico: "We've got a great offer on football socks at the moment, 2 pairs for just £3/£4/£5?" "Really? I'll have some then." Job done.

Insoles: do you have any cut down for the customer to try on? Even a size 8 insole in a size 10 shoe will do the trick because the cushioning is in the heel and forefoot. "Wow I can tell the difference, how much are they?" "Oh, they're £5.99, that's 50% off - a bargain."

Puma: "We have a great deal on sports and trainer socks if you need any at all? 6 pairs for just £9." If the customer has Slazenger socks, let them know how much better the Pumas are. "Did you know the Puma socks consist of 75% cotton, whereas those are only 45%. The higher %age of cotton makes for a thicker, better sock, so although you're getting less socks for more money, our Puma socks will last you much longer."

The D30 was a downsell from an expensive Asics shoe, I don't really like the idea of downselling like that because we're meant to get them to spend more, not less. However I mentioned they were 50% off and I told him about the D30 cushioning system and luckily he liked the design. Other than that though, I didn't sell any more and I'm not too experienced up there. However, running socks should be easy to sell. "Now if you're buying some running shoes you're gonna need running socks, and we've got some of our Karrimor ones on offer. Cushioning on the heel and toes makes it a comfortable sock, they also have dri-fit technology which removes sweat from your foot, keeping your feet and shoes dry."

You don't have to go as in-depth as I do but it certainly helps with the selling process. It's no surprise to me that I'm regularly asked to stay back or come in and do extra, hopefully in around 12-18 months' time when I'm much more experienced on footwear a full-time position will open up. And if I ever become a manager, I will definitely remember not to treat any of my staff like sh*t. I know what it feels like, I wouldn't want anyone else to feel the same.
Original post by DTQ
Did anyone else notice they increased the bags for life again?... This time, by 1p! WTF hahaha

I've worked at your store before and I did not enjoy it, although I was going through a rough time back then. MT was very understanding though, I got on with that manager the most. I moved back home and still work at Sports Direct and now I'm enjoying it - they've just moved me onto shoes due to the fact that I can hit 20% BFL on exchanges, therefore they thought my shoe KPIs would be good too. And they are - I can hold Sondico up at 50% and I make lots of commission on the insoles. I also had my first shift on running recently and sold a D30 shoe with 2 packs of Karrimor socks!!

The trick isn't necessarily what you know, but how you put yourself across. Obviously you need to have some sort of understanding of the product, but you need to sound as though you care. Sondico: "We've got a great offer on football socks at the moment, 2 pairs for just £3/£4/£5?" "Really? I'll have some then." Job done.

Insoles: do you have any cut down for the customer to try on? Even a size 8 insole in a size 10 shoe will do the trick because the cushioning is in the heel and forefoot. "Wow I can tell the difference, how much are they?" "Oh, they're £5.99, that's 50% off - a bargain."

Puma: "We have a great deal on sports and trainer socks if you need any at all? 6 pairs for just £9." If the customer has Slazenger socks, let them know how much better the Pumas are. "Did you know the Puma socks consist of 75% cotton, whereas those are only 45%. The higher %age of cotton makes for a thicker, better sock, so although you're getting less socks for more money, our Puma socks will last you much longer."

The D30 was a downsell from an expensive Asics shoe, I don't really like the idea of downselling like that because we're meant to get them to spend more, not less. However I mentioned they were 50% off and I told him about the D30 cushioning system and luckily he liked the design. Other than that though, I didn't sell any more and I'm not too experienced up there. However, running socks should be easy to sell. "Now if you're buying some running shoes you're gonna need running socks, and we've got some of our Karrimor ones on offer. Cushioning on the heel and toes makes it a comfortable sock, they also have dri-fit technology which removes sweat from your foot, keeping your feet and shoes dry."

You don't have to go as in-depth as I do but it certainly helps with the selling process. It's no surprise to me that I'm regularly asked to stay back or come in and do extra, hopefully in around 12-18 months' time when I'm much more experienced on footwear a full-time position will open up. And if I ever become a manager, I will definitely remember not to treat any of my staff like sh*t. I know what it feels like, I wouldn't want anyone else to feel the same.

Wait what? So big bags are a £1 and small bags are 80p /:? Great..

Posted from TSR Mobile
Wait what? So big bags are a £1 and small bags are 80p /:? Great..

Posted from TSR Mobile

I remember when they were 69p and 59p... So much easier to sell!

I guess they're going for round numbers but the prices are ridiculous - no one in my store would ever buy one anyway! The only time I would is if I had an absolute ton of stuff, and even then only if I hadn't spent loads already.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I remember when they were 69p and 59p... So much easier to sell!

I guess they're going for round numbers but the prices are ridiculous - no one in my store would ever buy one anyway! The only time I would is if I had an absolute ton of stuff, and even then only if I hadn't spent loads already.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah then they changed it to 99p and 79p -_-
Exactly! The only time I would buy one if I brought stuff which would be heavy to carry..but the prices for them are ridiculous. So are the new prices for the puma socks -.-....

Posted from TSR Mobile
Minds gone blank, but the staff discount is on a Thursday, right?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Minds gone blank, but the staff discount is on a Thursday, right?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yup!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending