The Student Room Group

Glasgow Uni or Strathclyde for Software Development

Scroll to see replies

Original post by enanram
I did the course 2020-2021, and I and many others in the class found it lacking. This was partly due to the pandemic and how we didn't really have those informal group discussions that you might have after a lecture, where you would learn from one another. But the online lectures were subpar and many of us learned more on our own than from the course. I did find some of it useful, and it gave me a lot to build on in my own continued learning. I got a job straight away and I know a good number of others who did too. As for Glasgow Uni, I know they have much larger class sizes and slightly different topics but I don't really know how it compares in quality.

Thanks for the quick reply. What was your undergraduate degree and how difficult did you find it? also can you apply for internships and jobs during the course and is that what you did?
Reply 21
Original post by Jacobiteman
Thanks for the quick reply. What was your undergraduate degree and how difficult did you find it? also can you apply for internships and jobs during the course and is that what you did?

I did music before. So this was totally new. I did a beginner course in python on YouTube, and that really helped in terms of having a head start. I got my job before the degree finished, as did a few others. It depends if the job accepts people with no degree. I didn't find many internships but that might have been due to the pandemic.
Original post by enanram
I did music before. So this was totally new. I did a beginner course in python on YouTube, and that really helped in terms of having a head start. I got my job before the degree finished, as did a few others. It depends if the job accepts people with no degree. I didn't find many internships but that might have been due to the pandemic.

Ok thanks, that's good ill look at some practice before the course. How difficult did you find the course?
Reply 23
Ok thanks, that's good ill look at some practice before the course. How difficult did you find the course?

Like anything, some parts are harder than others. Term 2 gets very busy so stay on top of it.
Thanks for the reply. What languages do you learn in the course?
Reply 25
Thanks for the reply. What languages do you learn in the course?

It starts with python, then most of the rest is java. And you can use anything for your final project. There's a course on relational databases using SQL, but not really anything on client-server architecture or how to put a full-stack project together with endpoints etc. So that would be a good thing to look into when you have a good grasp of at least one language.
Original post by enanram
It starts with python, then most of the rest is java. And you can use anything for your final project. There's a course on relational databases using SQL, but not really anything on client-server architecture or how to put a full-stack project together with endpoints etc. So that would be a good thing to look into when you have a good grasp of at least one language.

Hi, how many hours should I invest in learning python or java before I start the course? do you recommend any courses I can do prior to starting? I don't have that much experience with coding so I am apprehensive about starting the course.
Reply 27
Hi, how many hours should I invest in learning python or java before I start the course? do you recommend any courses I can do prior to starting? I don't have that much experience with coding so I am apprehensive about starting the course.

As much time as you can. But I would pick one language and learn as much as possible on that. Python is probably the easier one to pick up if you don't have experience.
Reply 28
Hello guys, I have applied for the Program for January Intake. I have also applied for University of Glasgow. What are your reviews regarding the program? Please help me clear my head cause it's so confusing without any proper information about the programs.

Quick Reply

Latest