The Student Room Group

Should I be annoyed and complain? Shifts being cancelled!

Basically, I work with an agency and I had a shift 2 weeks ago. They cancelled it last minute. Then I didn't have any shifts for one week and this week I had one on Wednesday, but it got cancelled like two hours ago. again.

I am a little pissed ngl. Like the agency could have cancelled someone else's instead of mine purely because they cancelled my last one as well and promised that I would be compensated. Should I complain or just leave?
Is it a zero hours contract you have with the Agency?
Reply 2
Original post by Anonnorth

Yeah
Reply 3

also, they are really not transparent and honest. last week they said their booking was cancelled by this company, but it was just that they asked for fewer people. my friend still had the shift and I didn't, but I was told that the company had cancelled their bookings.
Reply 4

like what's really annoying is how they confirm the booking, you say yes, they confirm it, and then cancel it last minute
I think you should be compensate for the last minute cancellation. What agency do you use?
Reply 6
Original post by Goldenparadise
I think you should be compensate for the last minute cancellation. What agency do you use?

I don't want to name it.

the agency asked me for two shifts this week, I said yes to both, I was told I was booked. Now they cancelled tomorrow's booking and had the nerve to suggest that I will be compensated with the guarantee that I will be booked for the second one this week. how is that compensation? i was already booked for the second one....

do u think i should ask for compensation? should i confront them or not? it's just part-time job anyways because i am doing a-levels but i don't feel like what they are doing is fair. they are giving 60 people work tomorrow and mine is cancelled for the second time, even though i was told i would be compensated when they cancelled my last one
Yes, phone and complain. It would depend on your contract exactly where you stand, but there's nothing stopping you phoning up and asking for clarification on why this keeps happening.
Original post by Anonymous
I don't want to name it.

the agency asked me for two shifts this week, I said yes to both, I was told I was booked. Now they cancelled tomorrow's booking and had the nerve to suggest that I will be compensated with the guarantee that I will be booked for the second one this week. how is that compensation? i was already booked for the second one....

do u think i should ask for compensation? should i confront them or not? it's just part-time job anyways because i am doing a-levels but i don't feel like what they are doing is fair. they are giving 60 people work tomorrow and mine is cancelled for the second time, even though i was told i would be compensated when they cancelled my last one

So if you had cancel at the last minute what would have happened? I think that's the problem with zero contract or agency workers, people only respect the client. Yes you should complain.
Reply 9
Original post by Goldenparadise
So if you had cancel at the last minute what would have happened? I think that's the problem with zero contract or agency workers, people only respect the client. Yes you should complain.

I don't know, I have never cancelled last minute because I actually have a good work ethic and stick to my promises.

i can't believe how ****e the agency is. Tempted to leave but for a student it's really convenient
I sent an email and they are literally trying to ignore the fact that I deserve compensation. Should I quit?
I don't know, I have never cancelled last minute because I actually have a good work ethic and stick to my promises.

i can't believe how ****e the agency is. Tempted to leave but for a student it's really convenient
I sent an email and they are literally trying to ignore the fact that I deserve compensation. Should I quit?

What do you gain my being stroppy with them? Holding the moral high ground (or at least believing you do) is all very well, but it doesn't bring in the cash.

You've an A level student, you aren't available to do anything but bits and pieces work, and you have very little value to an employer who can backfill you without blinking. So what do you really gain by leaving or being demanding?
Original post by threeportdrift
What do you gain my being stroppy with them? Holding the moral high ground (or at least believing you do) is all very well, but it doesn't bring in the cash.

You've an A level student, you aren't available to do anything but bits and pieces work, and you have very little value to an employer who can backfill you without blinking. So what do you really gain by leaving or being demanding?

I wouldn't call it being 'stroppy' and I don't think you can deduce that either from this post alone. It doesn't bring in the cash, no, but not all of us are happy with being treated unfairly.

Thank you for your input, but I think I will stick to my own plans with regards to this situation.
I will stick to my own plans with regards to this situation.

Which are
Original post by Bang Outta Order
Which are

lmao not say yes to shifts any further, unless I haven't found a job. Once I find a job, I am going to cancel the contract.
Which are

and I am not being big-headed thinking I deserve 'better', I just really don't like dishonesty and they have been so dodgy, it's just not worth it.
and I am not being big-headed thinking I deserve 'better', I just really don't like dishonesty and they have been so dodgy, it's just not worth it.

Nah I get ya
Nah I get ya

thank you!! x

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending