The Student Room Group

Civil Service Reserve list

Hey guys- has anyone here been on the Reserve List for a Civil Service role? I’ve been put on one for the Cabinet Office. How likely it is to be assigned to other roles by being on this list? Any success stories?! Applying for other jobs in the meanwhile, can’t say I’m not a little gutted I didn’t get this role but I was expecting either a straight successful / unsuccessful outcome. Curious to know if the Reserve List has worked for any of you out there!
I spent 6 weeks on a reserve list for a Border Force officer job before being offered a conditional offer. Certainly most people I've heard off going for BF jobs have also been on a reserve list too, I wouldn't worry too much.

From that point 10months to starting job, usually isn't a quick process (but I am an external candidate).
Original post by lily0392
I had an interview for the NCA, and they told me that everyone goes onto a reserve list whilst they complete pre employment checks, and then within 12 months you will be offered a job but theres no guarantee. I would say it's pretty likely you will hear something!

Sounds promising! Only confused because on the email, it said:
Your application has been placed on the reserve list. We will be in contact with you in due course to let you know if any suitable vacancies arise.

Hoping for some positive news.... fingers crossed. Have you heard from the NCA since?
Original post by Cricketumpjay84
I spent 6 weeks on a reserve list for a Border Force officer job before being offered a conditional offer. Certainly most people I've heard off going for BF jobs have also been on a reserve list too, I wouldn't worry too much.

From that point 10months to starting job, usually isn't a quick process (but I am an external candidate).

Congrats on receiving an offer! I really do hope something positive comes out of being on the list.
Reply 4
Original post by annie161211
Congrats on receiving an offer! I really do hope something positive comes out of being on the list.

Have you had any response yet?
Reply 5
Original post by Cricketumpjay84

Did you apply last year or have you been in the job long? Apparently there is a thread on here to say BF started recruitment on the 21st 🙁
Original post by Keeya123
Did you apply last year or have you been in the job long? Apparently there is a thread on here to say BF started recruitment on the 21st 🙁

I applied in November 2018 and started at the end of March.
(edited 3 years ago)
You probably won’t be starting any time soon even if you are offered a post.

All non urgent security clearances have been halted as staff are working from home. There is no onboarding of new starters.

Sorry to sound harsh but those are the cold, hard facts.
Reply 8
What were your scores? Usually everyone gets put on a reserve list then they start filling in vacancies on merit order, 7 being highest and 1 lowest. It's unlikely you will get offered a different role by being on reserve. The list is always for the role you applied. And it's normally for 12 months, if you dont offered a job after 12 months then thats it, you would need to reapply again if any vacancies arise.
Reply 9
Hi, I applied and interviewed with Cabinet Office in September of 2019. The interview went very well and at the end of the of the interviewers asked if i was ok being placed on the reserve it. Unfortuntely, I didnt get that role but was put on the reserve list. I never heard back from them and I was sure I was removed off the list this year as the list was for 12 months However, when I sign onto my account with Cabinet Office, it still shows that I am on the reserve list. Not sure what to make of that.
Original post by LeeG33
What were your scores? Usually everyone gets put on a reserve list then they start filling in vacancies on merit order, 7 being highest and 1 lowest. It's unlikely you will get offered a different role by being on reserve. The list is always for the role you applied. And it's normally for 12 months, if you dont offered a job after 12 months then thats it, you would need to reapply again if any vacancies arise.

Hi,

Just came across this thread, am I right in understanding that everyone gets placed in reserve list and afterwards placed in available job roles depending on their place in the reserve list?
Or do they provide job offers to people and those that weren't as good being placed in reserve list?

Reason that I ask is that I am currently on reserve list and been told that I am second on the reserve list.

Cheers
Original post by AKleins
Hi,

Just came across this thread, am I right in understanding that everyone gets placed in reserve list and afterwards placed in available job roles depending on their place in the reserve list?
Or do they provide job offers to people and those that weren't as good being placed in reserve list?

Reason that I ask is that I am currently on reserve list and been told that I am second on the reserve list.

Cheers

Hi AKleins,

Being placed on a reserve list will usually mean that, at interview or application, you met the required standard to be offered a position or interview however other candidates were ranked above you. For example, if there were 6 posts available and 25 candidates interviewed, of which 10 met the standard, the highest scoring 6 will be offered a post and the 4 who met the standard but were ranked 7-10 may be placed on the reserve list. This means that should a similar post become available (usually within 12 months) you may be offered the position without having to go through the interview process a second time. It is not uncommon for someone who is offered a role to subsequently turn it down, or accept the role and then leave or transfer to a different role within 12 months. Using a reserve list means that the business can then offer that role to someone else without the hassle and expense of running a new recruitment exercise. Alternatively, the business may subsequently have a need for a few more positions in that area.

If you are told you have been placed on a reserve list then don't be disheartened. You performed well at interview and met the required standard! There is a chance you will get offered a role at some point over the next 12 months. If not, use your application and interview performance as a baseline for future applications and seek feedback on where you can improve further.

Best of luck with any future applications and console yourself with the thought that you did make the grade!
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 12
Hi I was put on reserve for a civil service job. Three weeks later I have been told there is now a second position available for the same role. They asked me if I was interested- after I said yes - they said they will communicate that to HR and I will be ‘considered’ I find this a bit of a weird wording.... anyone know what happens next? Anyone have any experience with this?
(edited 2 years ago)
Hi I know your offer was 2 year ago but 2 weeks ago I got put on reserve list for border force for 12 months as the my chosen location at port of Tyne, South shields must be full atm. What do you think chances are off getting the job within the 12 months do you think?
Reply 14
Any one had any luck?
Reply 15
Hi, I've been on reserve list for home office for 6 month now not heard anything back unfortunately but that doesn't mean you won't . Good luck hope you hear something.
Original post by leam772
Hi, I've been on reserve list for home office for 6 month now not heard anything back unfortunately but that doesn't mean you won't . Good luck hope you hear something.

Hey any update from HO yet?thank you

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending