The Student Room Group

Civil Service Reserve List

Recently graduated from my Masters. Spent a lot of time applying for civil service jobs and grad schemes.

Got to interview stage for a HMRC job that I really wanted with 7 positions going in that particular office, but got an email today saying I’ve been placed on the reserve list for 12 months.

What are the chances of being offered a role and possible timeframes for that happening? Has anyone had any experience with this and could impart some knowledge? I’m really keen to start my career. Of course I have other applications but I had a lot of hopes for this one.

Thanks in advance ☺️

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by Unigal1998
Recently graduated from my Masters. Spent a lot of time applying for civil service jobs and grad schemes.

Got to interview stage for a HMRC job that I really wanted with 7 positions going in that particular office, but got an email today saying I’ve been placed on the reserve list for 12 months.

What are the chances of being offered a role and possible timeframes for that happening? Has anyone had any experience with this and could impart some knowledge? I’m really keen to start my career. Of course I have other applications but I had a lot of hopes for this one.

Thanks in advance ☺️

Hi I was on a reserve list for 5 months before I got a provisional offer. They have a huge recruitment drive at the moment so almost all candidates go on a reserve and depending on how well you scored they will get round to you at some stage. You can check your scores and feedback in the cs portal. Hopefully you won’t be waiting too long. There are lots of threads on here for hmrc with people timeline! I found it very encouraging to read through them. Good luck.
Reply 2

Thanks in advance ☺️

Just a quick tip
You can email them and ask for what number you are on the reserve list
It can give you a rough idea of how many people are ahead or behind your position :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by psych95
Just a quick tip
You can email them and ask for what number you are on the reserve list
It can give you a rough idea of how many people are ahead or behind your position :smile:

Do you know where I can find the email?
Reply 4
Do you know where I can find the email?

You have to contact them on the contact email they’ve given you x
Reply 5
Hi all I’m also on the reserve list too. Not with HMRC but for another government department. Reserve list for up to 12 months. What are the chances honestly? As I really want the job! Thanks
Original post by Dgeo
Hi I was on a reserve list for 5 months before I got a provisional offer. They have a huge recruitment drive at the moment so almost all candidates go on a reserve and depending on how well you scored they will get round to you at some stage. You can check your scores and feedback in the cs portal. Hopefully you won’t be waiting too long. There are lots of threads on here for hmrc with people timeline! I found it very encouraging to read through them. Good luck.

Hey once you got the provisional offer did you have to reinterview for that role? or if not what was the process like?
Reply 7
Original post by lolita187
Hey once you got the provisional offer did you have to reinterview for that role? or if not what was the process like?

Hi there, no once you have had your interview you and your fellow interviewees who passed go on a reserve list in order of how you scored at interview and as vacancies come up they progress you through to a conditional offer. Then you will have pre employment checks and finally a formal offer. Good luck

Thanks in advance ☺️

Hi! I hope you don’t mind me asking, but which position did you apply for in HMRC? I was also placed on a reserve list in October, still waiting to hear back now but I’ve got everything crossed!

Are you also still on the reserve list?
Hi! Do you mind me asking which position you applied for? I also applied for a position with HMRC in October and have been placed on a reserve list. Still eager to hear back but nothing through as of yet! X
Reply 10
Original post by elliemullanee
Hi! I hope you don’t mind me asking, but which position did you apply for in HMRC? I was also placed on a reserve list in October, still waiting to hear back now but I’ve got everything crossed!

Are you also still on the reserve list?

Hi! I applied for the Criminal Investigator position in Bristol. Finally got a conditional offer last week. Just started the vetting process so fingers crossed, not much longer. I was on the reserve list since October 2021!
I was on the reserve list since August 2021 - I followed up and found out I was first on the reserve list, I then did not hear anything for months. But at the end of March got a conditional offer! I was worried about the pre-employment checks and how long they would take, but they only took 7 days for me and now am just awaiting my contract.
Reply 12
@Unigal1998 Have you heard anything back from HMRC?

I applied for an SEO postion and have been put on the reserve list in April 2022.
Reply 13
Original post by 20002

I applied for an SEO postion and have been put on the reserve list in April 2022.

Hi! I was put on the reserve list in October 2021, heard back March 2022 that they’d like to offer me a position. Took a total of 3 weeks for all my security and pre-employment checks to be completed which I thought was crazily fast. They asked what start date I could do and bad a choice between 2 course dates. I went with the earlier course date in October this year and have a start date in early September confirmed. Best of luck to you!
Been on the reserve list now for 6 months. Trying to stay positive that I will get a call soon🤞🏼
Hi, I'm also on the reserve list for a HO role at HMRC. I was placed on it on 15th April 2022 and really hope I can be posted to a position 🙏

Wishing everyone lots of luck! x
Hiya hun, Are you still on the reserve list?
Original post by 20002

I’m also on a reserve list for this position - Northern Ireland Customs policy advisors ( 9 x SEO roles) until 31/12/22. It’s been 6 months, really hoping to hear back. Meanwhile, I was offered HEO position by another department last month. SC jobs have become very competitive hopefully, everyone on reserve lists will receive a job offer soon
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by Queen N
Hiya hun, Are you still on the reserve list?

Hey! Sorry for the slow response, haven’t checked out TSR for a while. I start the role in September after having completed all my pre-employment checks last month! Asked for a delayed start to wrap things up in my current job 🙂
Reply 19
Hi all - has anyone been dismissed from the civil service at all due to poor performance during probation and if decided to appeal against it what are the chances of getting the job back under a formal action rather than dismissal as the options were dismissal or formal action?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending