The Student Room Group

Is it quite easy to lie on a cv ?

I am 28, I have not worked or studied since I was around 21. It is personal and I would rather not go intothe reasonswhy of that's ok.

Anyway, I wouldl ike to start a part time job but obviously there is like a 7 yr gap in my cv where I have done nothing.

The part time job I want to apply for is retail, can I put down I worked at a certain shop ( which is now closed ) for such an amount of time to fill the gap on my cv and what are the chances of being found out ??

thanks all
Original post by Cleverboy1991
I am 28, I have not worked or studied since I was around 21. It is personal and I would rather not go intothe reasonswhy of that's ok.

Anyway, I wouldl ike to start a part time job but obviously there is like a 7 yr gap in my cv where I have done nothing.

The part time job I want to apply for is retail, can I put down I worked at a certain shop ( which is now closed ) for such an amount of time to fill the gap on my cv and what are the chances of being found out ??

thanks all

The chances of being found out are very high in the circumstances you provide. If you produce a CV good enough to get you to interview, then you will be asked a series of questions that ask for you to give evidence of relevant skills. To do that, you'd have to make up a coherent set of lies. Under interview conditions, it's remarkably difficult to do that, you've got a panel of 3 strangers all looking at you looking for signs of lying. In the unlikely case that you were the best candidate and you got offered the job, then your application paperwork forms part of the basis on which you were hired, and your past retail experience (or claim about it) willbe material. So if at any point anyone finds out you lied, it's gross misconduct and grounds for immediate dismissal.

Basically, you are going to have to either be honest with employers about the gap, or start off volunteering or with something from a personal network, or use a 'special needs' route based on the reason why you haven't worked before, ie a return to work scheme.
Original post by threeportdrift
The chances of being found out are very high in the circumstances you provide. If you produce a CV good enough to get you to interview, then you will be asked a series of questions that ask for you to give evidence of relevant skills. To do that, you'd have to make up a coherent set of lies. Under interview conditions, it's remarkably difficult to do that, you've got a panel of 3 strangers all looking at you looking for signs of lying. In the unlikely case that you were the best candidate and you got offered the job, then your application paperwork forms part of the basis on which you were hired, and your past retail experience (or claim about it) willbe material. So if at any point anyone finds out you lied, it's gross misconduct and grounds for immediate dismissal.

Basically, you are going to have to either be honest with employers about the gap, or start off volunteering or with something from a personal network, or use a 'special needs' route based on the reason why you haven't worked before, ie a return to work scheme.

Thank you for that info.
I mean if I told them I worked at a certain store in retail but that it is now closed and the employer in unreachable, is there a way they could foind out I was lying about that ?
Original post by Cleverboy1991
Thank you for that info.
I mean if I told them I worked at a certain store in retail but that it is now closed and the employer in unreachable, is there a way they could foind out I was lying about that ?

Yes, because the entire substance of the interview will be about that job, and you've got no truth and no experience to answer those questions with. Besides the fact that is the store is local and similar, they may well have ex-employees there.

Yes, it's an idiotic plan.
I understand. I have a 6 year gap in my e oloymwnt history due to mental health issues and very personal stuff that I do not want an employer knowing and don't see why I should tell them either when it is not their right to know such personal info.i find it really hard to even get interviews and the odd ones I do get I end up just using another health issue I had at the time, a physical one, just with my knee as an excuse even though it is a lie. Or at least a half lie.
I wish I had more advice for you but I totally get it, I'm in the same boat.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending