The Student Room Group

What are your top tips for acing an interview?

This week Advice on applying for a job is Forum of the Week. We started out with an AMA for working in retail, and today we're moving on to interview tips and techniques. I've listed some of mine below, but it's by no means a comprehensive list, so please do add your own!

Do some research on the company, and talk about how their values relate to your own during your answers where it's relevant.

Don't lie, even if you don't have a genuine answer to what they're asking; it's better to express, for example, that you have a passion for developing in that area than it is to say you have experience with something that you don't.

If you're not sure how to dress for the interview, always go for formal over casual - it's better to be overdressed than underdressed, and it conveys that you've made an effort.

Make sure you ask any questions you have about the company; it's a chance to find out if they're the fit for you as well. Try to avoid asking questions about pay and holidays, however.

Please share your tips and techniques here, and let us know about any advice that's worked well for you in the past :biggrin:
i don't really have anymore more but these points are really good,

but extending on point one i would just say clearly why you chose his and how it links to the job

job job @shadowdweller
Read the job application very carefully before you go to the interview. You can tell the kind of questions they are likely to ask about from the job advert.

The opening question will nearly always be a general one about why you want the job or why you think you'd be good at the job. The effect is always the same, to give you a chance to give a headline 'sales pitch' of yourself. You can practice this and should be able to give a clear, crisp answer about how well your skills fit with the job.

When you are asked a question, you don't have to answer immediately, take a few seconds to try and think why they are asking the question. It helps in working this out, if you've read the job description carefully.

It's perfectly acceptable to ask for clarification of the question once or twice - for example " I don't think I've had a situation where that has occurred, but can I talk you through what I would do in that situation?" or "Would you prefer an example from my volunteering or from my sport?"

If you get lost and by the end of your answer you've forgotten what the question was it's fine to ask "Does that answer your question". They are unlikely to say it des if it doesn't, so if you have gone off track, they will nudge you back on by asking a follow up.
Reply 3
Make a copy of the application or CV you submit, and revise from it to be familiar with the content.

Make sure you have had something to eat and drink so you don't feel faint or have a rumbling stomach!

First impressions count. Be ready to be called in for the interview, so have your coat off, don't be touching up makeup or be playing on your phone and make sure it is switched off. If practical, greet the interviewer with a smile and handshake.

Have documents in a smart bag or document folder and place personal belongings out of the way, either hanging on or underneath your chair so you don't kick them or trip over when leaving.

Don't be afraid to move your chair if uncomfortable, eg sun or reflection in your eyes, or if having to turn your head a lot to speak with multiple interviewers on a panel. Sit smartly and don't invade the interviewer's space by leaning on their table or putting items on it. Mind your hands; don't wave them around too much when talking, or fiddle with cuff, buttons, watch etc. If you are nervous, lightly clasp your hands in your lap and start to use them for emphasis when you have relaxed into the interview.

(All situations from real interviews I have conducted).
(edited 2 years ago)
Be confident. Lay out a smart outfit twenty four hours in advance. Have a copy of your resume to hand during the actual interview. Smile. No phone either. Ask sensible questions only.
Reply 5
Lots of good ideas here already. Actual "Interview Techniques" like how to answer specific questions are difficult to perfect and require some practice.
I would highly recommend getting some professional advice and going through at least 10 roleplays before starting to interview anywhere. If you don't do that, your first interviews will be your roleplays and you will probably botch things up and get disappointed.

Even the best tennis players have coaches. Why wouldn't you get interview coaching if you're a complete beginner at interviewing?

Sure, you'll have friends who are overconfident and will say it's silly to get interview coaching or "expensive". They're just as inexperienced as you are and this will be your first career lesson - listen to people with experience, not to confident-sounding people with no experience. The ROI on a bit of interview training is huge - wider choice of jobs you've been accepted to, higher salary, happier you.

As far as small things anyone can do without practice go, make sure you do each and every one of these:

1. Arrive early. There are lots of train/tube strikes lately. Factor that in. Plan to get there 30 mins early. Being late or getting there sweaty because you ran to get there on time after your train was cancelled, are all terrible first impressions.
2. Dress well. Nobody will fault you for overdressing. They will for underdressing. If you've arrived in a suit and then see everyone is in jeans and a T-Shirt, just say "I can see I can take my tie off" and smile.
3. Practice saying hello properly: Smile, make eye contact and have a firm (firm, not looking for strong) handshake. Practice with someone. It takes 30 seconds to practice. Smiling and making eye contact is easy but when you're nervous lots of people don't do it.
4. Have 6+ copies of your CV printed. Interviewers will often have laptops open with forms to fill out about you. It's not always convenient for them to switch between your CV and the form on their screens. Handing them your CV achieves 2 things with very little effort: (1) You've solved their screen switching problem (2) You've shown you prepared for this interview, care about and are detail oriented. Have multiple copies because you'll usually be interviewed by multiple people.
5. Phone off. Honestly, don't get a ring on your phone during an interview. There's nothing more off-putting. Same goes for smart watches.
6. Have a notepad and a pen ready. You should have questions pre-written in it to ask the interviewers. You can also take notes during the interview and it makes you look detail oriented and thoughtful again. DO NOT do this on your phone. Notepad and pen.

Hope this is useful.
Take all the steps above and pay for some interview coaching.
Your first job often sets your career path for 40+ years. It's worth investing a but upfront to get it right.
Lots of research into the company; know their motto, values, purpose and vision.
Reply 7
Original post by shadowdweller
This week Advice on applying for a job is Forum of the Week. We started out with an [url=
Practice, research the company, good night sleep

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending