The Student Room Group

A-Level Poetry NEA suggestions?

I'm currently looking for poems to do my NEA on and finding it quite difficult to decide... is it a good idea to just go down a well-traveled route and do a well-known poet? I don't really want to because I feel like that makes it a bit too easy, but I read far more prose than I do poetry so I feel less sure of my own judgement in poetry.
If anyone knows of any good poems that reference Greek mythology, or any predominantly feminist poets, please let me know!!
I went with one relatively unheard of text and one more well known one for my NEA last year so I think you can do either route. (I did AQA for reference). Carol Ann Duffy’s collections are generally quite varied, feminist and often reference Greek mythology; many schools do them so there’s a myriad of materials out there (for example Feminine Gospels was one of my set texts and I think other courses do The World’s Wife). Maya Angelou and Monica Yon also have some really good collections. Meadowland is the first collection that comes to mind in regards to Greek mythology.

It’s really how your write it and your points more than the texts themselves though so I wouldn’t panic too much. Good luck!
Reply 2
Original post by allstoriesrtrue
I went with one relatively unheard of text and one more well known one for my NEA last year so I think you can do either route. (I did AQA for reference). Carol Ann Duffy’s collections are generally quite varied, feminist and often reference Greek mythology; many schools do them so there’s a myriad of materials out there (for example Feminine Gospels was one of my set texts and I think other courses do The World’s Wife). Maya Angelou and Monica Yon also have some really good collections. Meadowland is the first collection that comes to mind in regards to Greek mythology.

It’s really how your write it and your points more than the texts themselves though so I wouldn’t panic too much. Good luck!

Thanks! This is really helpful.
Np, what exam board and texts are you studying? Sometimes you can double up on context
Reply 4
I used the Goblin Market for my NEA & it was a pretty straightforward text. It reads as a fairy tale, so I compared it to Carter's 'Bloody Chamber' collection.
Reply 5
Original post by allstoriesrtrue
Np, what exam board and texts are you studying? Sometimes you can double up on context

AQA, and Othello, Death of A Salesman, Keats for tragedy, then Atonement, Hamlet and Rime of the Ancient Mariner for crime.
So quite the range! I think I did the other course entirely but if you want any help on Othello hmu as we covered that too x
Reply 7
What was your question?? I’m using Christina Rossetti and I’m really struggling to come up with a question
Original post by mtanvir
I used the Goblin Market for my NEA & it was a pretty straightforward text. It reads as a fairy tale, so I compared it to Carter's 'Bloody Chamber' collection.

What question did you do it to?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending