The Student Room Group

The Tesco thread.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 2080
Can someone tell me what the 'dairy' role consists of? Is it like a general customer assistant (shelf filler) or is it just dealing with milk.
I was wondering if anyone could tell me what the clothing assessment consists of??
Original post by rm761
Thanks, does anyone know the nightshift pay too?

As of the 7th July, the night pay (2200-0000) has been scrapped I work post 2200 on checkouts (Self Service) as overtime on occasions, and it was a few pence over the £7.20 hour (now £7.24 hour starter, £7.62 base). The only night pay that now is there is the 0000-0600, but I'm not sure of what it is.
Original post by oceansiz3
I have induction tomorrow. What should I be wearing?

I wore a smart white shirt, black trousers and a tie.
Original post by M3ds
Can someone tell me what the 'dairy' role consists of? Is it like a general customer assistant (shelf filler) or is it just dealing with milk.

I was on dairy for a month and then moved to checkouts.

It is about replenishing and rumbling chilled products, such as cheese, milk, ready meals, and all other chilled products (except for meat & poultry), in addition to providing customer assistance and assisting on the checkouts during team service calls when it is very busy.
Unfortunatley it's not possible because the wages are paid automatically to all employees below managerial level at the same time (around 00:30) on payday.
That pay is now £7.24, but don't worry as I put in £5 just to give them an answer for the question haha.
[QUOTE="shanj0nes;65933072"]
Original post by Add!ction
Can someone explain how many hours we have to work to get certain breaks to me please?

I think this is how it works not 100% though, I've worked there for 3 months and I think I've got to grips with it now haha!

1-3 hours = no break

4-5.5 hours = 15 minutes

6-7.5 hours = 30 minutes

8-9 hours = 90 minutes

Nearly had it. It is as per follows:
1 - 3.75 hours = no break
4 - 5.75hours = 15 minutes
6 - 7.5 hours = 30 minutes
8 - 8.75 hours = 45 minutes
9+ Hours = 90 Minutes
(edited 7 years ago)
Today is pay cut off right?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Today is pay cut off right?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yes for all overtime :-)
Reply 2090
Original post by Alex2705
I was on dairy for a month and then moved to checkouts.

It is about replenishing and rumbling chilled products, such as cheese, milk, ready meals, and all other chilled products (except for meat & poultry), in addition to providing customer assistance and assisting on the checkouts during team service calls when it is very busy.

Do you prefer checkouts or dairy. What is the best role in your opinion?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by M3ds
Do you prefer checkouts or dairy. What is the best role in your opinion?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I prefer checkouts, because you have no targets or quota to meet, and the amount of work you do depends on the amount of customers in store, so sometimes you are paid to sit and chat. However i suppose its more down to personal preferencw on what you like to do though. :-)
Yes for all overtime :-)

What about contracted hours? I work tues, weds, thurs, so will next week be in This months pay as well?

Posted from TSR Mobile
What about contracted hours? I work tues, weds, thurs, so will next week be in This months pay as well?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Contractd hours are paid up to and including the payday Friday and the Saturday after payday.
Any overtime done after the Thursday (8 days before payday) is paid next month.
Ok great! Explains a lot about last pay 😝

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2095
hey guys

i applied for the customer assistant role at several different tesco stores where i live and its been a couple of weeks and my applications are still in 'processing' mode.

How long do tesco take to get back to you?
Reply 2096
Original post by e^x
hey guys

i applied for the customer assistant role at several different tesco stores where i live and its been a couple of weeks and my applications are still in 'processing' mode.

How long do tesco take to get back to you?

If it's past the closing date of the application that usually means they haven't considered you for the role. It took me about a week or less to get a call from the manager inviting me for an interview, I didn't get any email from tesco and my application status remained 'in procress' after I got the call so I wouldn't completely rely on the dashboard.
(edited 7 years ago)
Hi, I applied for a night job at my local Tescos but my local Tescos closes at midnight so I'm confused :dong: Does it mean I'll be working whilst the store is closed? It's for a customer assistant job.

Also, what is the rate of pay per hour?

And would they be okay with a septum + nose piercing?

Thanks to anyone who takes the time to answer :smile:
Original post by Ice Dragon
Hi, I applied for a night job at my local Tescos but my local Tescos closes at midnight so I'm confused :dong: Does it mean I'll be working whilst the store is closed? It's for a customer assistant job.

Also, what is the rate of pay per hour?

And would they be okay with a septum + nose piercing?

Thanks to anyone who takes the time to answer :smile:

Some stores that close at midnight have workers working through the night, others don't. The store I work at (superstore) operates 0600-0000 and used to have workers through the night,but no longer does.

Pay is base - £7.24 going up to £7.62 per hour after 9 months of continuous service

The septum and piercing should be okay, but this is what the company handbook says (quoted)

"All jewellery is worn at your own risk as it can be dangerous when you are lifting and carrying. It may be in your best interest to leave it safely at home, however, if you choose to wear it, it should be kept to a minimum.
All jewellery should be discrete and not excessive, with watches and bracelets close fitting and necklaces tucked into your shirt or blouse.
Rings can be worn in moderation (maximum of three).
Earrings should be studs or plain sleepers and no more than two per ear.
A small nose stud may be worn (except if you work in a fresh food preparation area).
No other visible piercing is acceptable. Tunnel earrings should be removed and a flesh coloured blank used to cover the hole in the ear. Piercings should not be covered with a blue plaster.
If you work in the colleague restaurant no jewellery other than a plain banding and one pair of plain stud or sleeper earrings no greater than the size of a one pence piece may be worn."
(edited 7 years ago)
Some stores that close at midnight have workers working through the night, others don't. The store I work at (superstore) operates 0600-0000 and used to have workers through the night,but no longer does.

Pay is base - £7.24 going up to £7.62 per hour after 9 months of continuous service

The septum and piercing should be okay, but this is what the company handbook says (quoted)

"All jewellery is worn at your own risk as it can be dangerous when you are lifting and carrying. It may be in your best interest to leave it safely at home, however, if you choose to wear it, it should be kept to a minimum.
All jewellery should be discrete and not excessive, with watches and bracelets close fitting and necklaces tucked into your shirt or blouse.
Rings can be worn in moderation (maximum of three).
Earrings should be studs or plain sleepers and no more than two per ear.
A small nose stud may be worn (except if you work in a fresh food preparation area).
No other visible piercing is acceptable. Tunnel earrings should be removed and a flesh coloured blank used to cover the hole in the ear. Piercings should not be covered with a blue plaster.
If you work in the colleague restaurant no jewellery other than a plain banding and one pair of plain stud or sleeper earrings no greater than the size of a one pence piece may be worn."

Thank you for answering my questions :smile: I know I can just flip up the septum piercing but the nose piercing can't really be hidden and I can't take it out either so it's good to know it should be okay.

The one I applied to is a superstore that used to be open 24 hours so I'm assuming it must be one where workers work through the night.

What happened to extra pay for working unsociable hours, though? Isn't it illegal to not pay night workers more?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending