The Student Room Group

The Tesco thread.

Scroll to see replies

I'm sure I got paid time and a half on a Sunday ever since I started since I was contracted to a Sunday, so you should be fine. :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
I had an interview with tesco on friday which went well they said i would here back from them. They rang me on monday for an induction for friday so i said yes but on wedensday i got an email saying i was unsuccesful im confused they have not rang me to cancel the induction so shall i still just turn up on friday for the induction
Original post by liamwilliams94
I had an interview with tesco on friday which went well they said i would here back from them. They rang me on monday for an induction for friday so i said yes but on wedensday i got an email saying i was unsuccesful im confused they have not rang me to cancel the induction so shall i still just turn up on friday for the induction

Are you sure you haven't applied for 2 different jobs and because you have been accepted for one you got rejected for another? If not.. If you have a number for them give them a call, and yes, definitely show up for your induction.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by SaraMcivor
Are you sure you haven't applied for 2 different jobs and because you have been accepted for one you got rejected for another? If not.. If you have a number for them give them a call, and yes, definitely show up for your induction.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks i applied for 8 jobs at tesco i just thought that email meant i was unsuccesful on all 8 jobs so i will just go to the induction on friday does this mean i have the job thanks
Original post by liamwilliams94
Thanks i applied for 8 jobs at tesco i just thought that email meant i was unsuccesful on all 8 jobs so i will just go to the induction on friday does this mean i have the job thanks

Well, in an induction, the manager in charge introduces you to staff, takes you a walk around the store to notify you of emergency exits and will also tell you about health and safety. There will be other things like videos to show you, but by doing all that it pretty much looks like you have a job. :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 985
Did anyone else receive an invite to interview call where the manager was very specific about you needing to bring your passport, birth certificate, recent utility bill and national insurance card? The auto-response "if you're invited to interview" e-mail led me to believe I'd only need to bring my passport and maybe possibly my national insurance card, but she was very specific about me needing to bring all of those items in :s-smilie:. Obviously I'll take them as requested, but it just struck me as being slightly over the top for an 8 hour slot on the fish counter...
Original post by Tegu
Did anyone else receive an invite to interview call where the manager was very specific about you needing to bring your passport, birth certificate, recent utility bill and national insurance card? The auto-response "if you're invited to interview" e-mail led me to believe I'd only need to bring my passport and maybe possibly my national insurance card, but she was very specific about me needing to bring all of those items in :s-smilie:. Obviously I'll take them as requested, but it just struck me as being slightly over the top for an 8 hour slot on the fish counter...

It's the law, that all employers need to make sure employees are legal to work in the UK, no matter how many or little hours they work!
Reply 987
Original post by rachiriot
It's the law, that all employers need to make sure employees are legal to work in the UK, no matter how many or little hours they work!

I'm aware that it's the law, I've worked in enough places to know they need various pieces of evidence to prove you're legal entitled to work in the UK, but I've never been asked for my passport AND my birth certificate AND proof of residence, one or the other yes but never both. It wasn't so much the hours that perplexed me as the fact it's a job on a fish counter and she was insistent on having all three plus my national insurance number on my actual card, when the law firm I worked for as a secretary only wanted my passport and proof of residence.

I've only ever been asked if I could bring a passport OR birth certificate, sometimes I've been asked for proof of residence, and I've never been asked for my national insurance card. I was just wondering whether being asked for a birth certificate AND passport AND proof of residence AND national insurance card was something that happened across the Tesco employment process as being asked to bring so many documents proving my identity to a group interview seems rather excessive when the e-mail which states "if invited to interview" gave me the impression it was an and/or requirement, so being asked to bring all of these items took me by surprise.
(edited 10 years ago)
When I was recruited for Tesco all they wanted was my passport.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hi, there's a new tesco opening in Glasgow. As it's a new store there are several jobs available with several different shift patterns. Does any one know whether I can apply for all of these jobs? Also, if I answer the online test differently each time will that be noticed?
I've applied for one job already and most of the questions seem quite straight forward but there's 2 or 3 I'm not 100% about. So I thought if I changed my answers for each application then one should surely be successful? Or am I being an idiot?
Also, does any one know at what stage in the process referees are contacted? Because I currently work for another high street retailer and they're not aware that I'm looking for another job at the moment.
Sorry for the silly amount of questions, but if any one could respond it would be very much appreciated!
I'm ringing my manager tomorrow but I'm feeling a little impatient, does anybody know if Tesco Express Stores allow people to work between 2 stores to suit University?
Original post by raigon25
So I got an job offer for Personal Shopper for early monday and friday at 6:00 am flexi contract.

Anyone had experience with this role and how did it fare? also when do you get uniform? because over phone they said wear your own trousers and shirt

Hi, I have an interview for the exact same job on Wednesday. what was your interview like? what kind of questions do they ask? and what's the job like? mine is a flexi contract too and same hours (two shifts, 6am-9.30am, right?). is there a lot of overtime available too? thanks :smile:
I'm ringing my manager tomorrow but I'm feeling a little impatient, does anybody know if Tesco Express Stores allow people to work between 2 stores to suit University?

I've never actually heard of that but you never know it might be possible.

Although I do know that you are able to place a student transfer request in to move to a more suitable store. :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 993

Its up to the individual managers in question. You will be on one store's payroll and the other you'd be doing overtime in. ie. hours at their discretion and they have to transfer the money to your old store for them to be able to pay you. If because of uni you are not fulfilling your contracted hours you are essentially not turning up for work. You can ask for a career/lifestyle break *but* I doubt they would agree to it on the basis of uni and another store as OT. It would be easier for you to leave and them fill your vacancy. It is up to your manager but I wouldn't like to bank on being accommodated in your current store and another one you've never been to for OT.

In the group I'm on we regularly do OT in other stores but as its the same group they just transfer it between stores. Its more of a pain doing it between groups I believe.

You might be better trying to transfer to Superstore, there is usually more hours going ie. Christmas temps.
Original post by Tinsley
Its up to the individual managers in question. You will be on one store's payroll and the other you'd be doing overtime in. ie. hours at their discretion and they have to transfer the money to your old store for them to be able to pay you. If because of uni you are not fulfilling your contracted hours you are essentially not turning up for work. You can ask for a career/lifestyle break *but* I doubt they would agree to it on the basis of uni and another store as OT. It would be easier for you to leave and them fill your vacancy. It is up to your manager but I wouldn't like to bank on being accommodated in your current store and another one you've never been to for OT.

In the group I'm on we regularly do OT in other stores but as its the same group they just transfer it between stores. Its more of a pain doing it between groups I believe.

You might be better trying to transfer to Superstore, there is usually more hours going ie. Christmas temps.

I wouldn't try to transfer to an express as there are only a few employees in them unlike super stores. I was told if I wanted a job to try to transfer to a superstore as they can normally agree to get you a job.
When they say name a time when you improved something

What are they looking for in this question?
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 996
Original post by ForeverAnfield
I wouldn't try to transfer to an express as there are only a few employees in them unlike super stores. I was told if I wanted a job to try to transfer to a superstore as they can normally agree to get you a job.

The person I quoted works *in* Express and I suggested Superstore for a transfer.

To be honest I enjoy working Express and we have so many Superstore employees desperate to transfer. We have an awful lot of deputy and store managers who have come from Superstore and much prefer our format too.
Original post by Tinsley
The person I quoted works *in* Express and I suggested Superstore for a transfer.

To be honest I enjoy working Express and we have so many Superstore employees desperate to transfer. We have an awful lot of deputy and store managers who have come from Superstore and much prefer our format too.

When they say name a time when you improved something

What are they looking for in this question?
Reply 998
Hiya all,
Any idea how long till I get a phone call? i've applied to numerous positions which were recently released, with each application coming back with the email saying
Thank you for your interest in Tesco and for taking the time to apply for the role in xxx.

This email is to acknowledge receipt of your application and to let you know that we will be in contact in due course to let you know the outcome of your application.

However, the first of the applications I sent was on the 16th and still haven't heard anything. Am I impatient, or have I not got the job? :frown: How long shall I wait before contacting them, and shall I contact the branch or head office?
Original post by Jetblast
Hiya all,
Any idea how long till I get a phone call? i've applied to numerous positions which were recently released, with each application coming back with the email saying
However, the first of the applications I sent was on the 16th and still haven't heard anything. Am I impatient, or have I not got the job? :frown: How long shall I wait before contacting them, and shall I contact the branch or head office?

Website says to wait 2 weeks before emailing. I heard 2 days after the closing date of the vacancy, which was about a week and a half after I applied, but my boyfriend didn't hear back until about 3 weeks. He emailed when they didn't get back to him after 2 weeks and they said they were still reviewing applications, and then a week later he was rejected..

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending