The Student Room Group

World Backup Day 2020- What are your plans?

‘Your Data is lost’ it’s not an April fool’s joke or a laughing matter, so let’s celebrate today on March 31st with World Backup Day
https://www.purevpn.com/cybersecurity/events/world-backup-day
http://www.worldbackupday.com/en/

This day is basically designed to inspire everyone to take data security seriously, this awareness event asks participants to take the backup pledge:

“I solemnly swear to back up my important documents and precious memories on March 31st.”

I am making this thread to make a pledge and also let everyone heads up in this regard to stay safe and backup your data now, if you haven’t done before. (I have already backed up mine.)

So for this upcoming holiday that serves as a great reminder to be prepared for the unexpected,

Do you have any backup systems in place?

Do you have any wow moment ‘I am Glad my data is backed up’?

Or any Past Horror Story to remind you of ‘How vital your data was’ until it was lost?

Stop your work right now and leave everything wherever it is, and backup your data now. Because your data matters.
Do you have any backup systems in place?

Yes, it's over the top for many people though. My desktop is where I store most of my data. For local storage I have 3 SSDs, configured in the Storage Spaces equivalent of RAID 5. Total storage is 4TB and it can survive the failure of 1 drive. A lot of the data I have does not change that often, so I can get away with backing it up to an external drive once a month.

The stuff which changes most frequently is in cloud storage. All my uni work is in Google Drive, while all my personal stuff is in OneDrive. I keep full local copies, but also have the benefits of cloud. These are also synced to my laptop, so in the event my local and cloud copies are unavailable I can simply turn the laptop on without Internet access (or use the external backup).

For my phone, I also use OneDrive. I have a dedicated folder in OneDrive and use the OneSync app to automatically sync everything important on my phone with that folder. Not only does it mean everything is backed up, but if I need to transfer files to or from my phone I can simply drop them in that folder and it's automated. To truly lose any important data, I'd need to lose 2 SSDs, lose my cloud access, lose my laptop and lose my external drive all at the same time. And apart from the external drive backup, it's fully automated.

As far as the "World Backup Day" thing goes though, I can't say I've ever heard of it nor do I think it's really going to make a difference. Backups are not something you should do once a year, you should do them as often as you see necessary. I don't think a single day to raise awareness will have much impact, it's about building the habit or making use of automated tools. The latter is really important, I study stuff like this and I doubt I'd be going to this much trouble if I had to do it manually.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending