The Student Room Group

Ask a University Student!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Uni of Southampton Students
Hi!!
I’ve clicked on the link for the University of Southampton but it’s from 9 years ago 😱 I think we need a new and fresh thread!
Niamh (University of Southampton Chemistry Official Rep)

You can if you want, but it's still a relatively active thread given its age (last post was only 7 months ago, which would improve if we can move prospective students towards it). Plus the OP is still very active on TSR!
Original post by barror1
Hi both @Uni of Southampton Students and @Coventry University Student Ambassadors !
Thanks so much for your interest in helping with this, it's much appreciated :yes:
If it's ok, please can we move any discussions about Southampton to the relevant thread? This is a very general one so you are more likely to get responses by posting there. The page can be found here: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2116805 .
As for Coventry, I don't think there is a thread yet! Feel free to make one in a similar style to the ones linked above and I will be more than happy to add it to the list :h:
Cheers!

Hey,

Thank you for your response!

Coventry already has a thread where students can post university-related questions!

Thank you :smile:

Veronica
Student Amabssador
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by Coventry University Student Ambassadors
Hey everyone!

I'm Veronica and I'm a final year Dietetics student studying at Coventry University.

I'm happy to answer any queries or questions relating to my experience at university. So, feel free to reply and I'll get back to you when I can!
There are a number of other Student Ambassadors from the university studying various subjects, so if you have any questions you'd like to ask that are course-specific or related to Coventry University, please find the forum here and send us your post!

Look forward to reading your posts!

Veronica
Student Ambassador

Hi Veronica!

My name is Alex and I am looking to study dietetics in the next couple of years. First I need to complete and access course.

I am 34 with 2 very young children (8 months and 2) so my questions are…is it doable with 2 young kids and a house to look after? How much time do you need to spend on independent study a week? And do you have any examples of your timetables?

Thanks!!
Original post by Alexbambi
Hi Veronica!

My name is Alex and I am looking to study dietetics in the next couple of years. First I need to complete and access course.

I am 34 with 2 very young children (8 months and 2) so my questions are…is it doable with 2 young kids and a house to look after? How much time do you need to spend on independent study a week? And do you have any examples of your timetables?

Thanks!!

Hello Alex,

I am a student Coventry University, and I find the class timings to be very flexible. In Coventry University the average duration for classes for the week are around 10 hours depending on the course, which enables the students to engage in extracurricular activities or do part time work. The university also offers blended learning if the student doesnt want to the in-campus classes. When it comes to individual study, university majorly focuses on assignments depending on your course, which require research and lecturers are usually provide great support with regards to assignments.
Hope this answers your queries.

Sai Mummaneni
Student Ambassador
Original post by Alexbambi
Hi Veronica!

Thanks!!

Hi @Alexbambi,

Thank you for your message.

It's great to hear you're looking to study Dietetics in the next couple of years! Completing an access course will be an insightful step up before studying the course.

Currently, on the course and previously, there are mothers on the course who study full-time whilst taking care of their families. So, it is doable, but it has been quite a journey for the mothers on the course. Though it is stressful it makes organising and prioritising your time all the more important to manage during university. One of the top pieces of advice the parents will give to future parents wanting to study is to prepare and plan ahead as much as possible because it can be a bit difficult and overwhelming managing assignments, placements, childcare all whilst attempting to balance everything on your plate.

For the first year, you're likely to have around 18 contact hours a week and this may vary depending on the timetable and what is scheduled. There is around an estimated 21+ independent study, which is likely to increase with workload or if you need to spend extra time going over and understanding the content.
Unfortunately, I don't have an example time. However, following university policies, you may be attending university anytime from 9am-6pm.
As it's a healthcare course, you're expected to attend classes on campus and with guidelines lifting, on-campus classes will return, although there may be exceptions in place if there are special circumstances. Strictly speaking, as with any healthcare course, all government guidelines are adhered to within the university.

When I spoke to the admissions tutor asking for advice for first-year students she mentioned the importance of dietetics is a full-time course. Meaning, it requires commitment. As there is a lot of work in the first year, it's imperative for students to be self-motivated and to work independently to be able to keep on top of the workload.

I hope this is informative. If you would like to get in touch with any of the parents currently on the course, I can see if I can get any contacts? Please let me know if you're interested.

Veronica
Student Ambassador
Hi Veronica, Thank you so much for this information! Contacts would be fantastic please!!
Original post by Coventry University Student Ambassadors
Hello Alex,

I am a student Coventry University, and I find the class timings to be very flexible. In Coventry University the average duration for classes for the week are around 10 hours depending on the course, which enables the students to engage in extracurricular activities or do part time work. The university also offers blended learning if the student doesnt want to the in-campus classes. When it comes to individual study, university majorly focuses on assignments depending on your course, which require research and lecturers are usually provide great support with regards to assignments.
Hope this answers your queries.

Sai Mummaneni
Student Ambassador

Thank you so much :smile:
what do you like wear to parties? is it like hoodie and jeans or like ballgown or? also does it change If you're at an art uni/ non city? all my clothes are very cute cottagecore and idk if that's going to cut it :/
Original post by teadrenched
what do you like wear to parties? is it like hoodie and jeans or like ballgown or? also does it change If you're at an art uni/ non city? all my clothes are very cute cottagecore and idk if that's going to cut it :/

It honestly depends on the kind of social you are going to! That's going to vary deepening on both the uni, student group, and where you are going 'out' to. Still, never be afraid to use a style that represents who you are! :smile:
how big are student accoms usually and are they big enough to at least fit a portable keyboard on a stand :colonhash:
Original post by waitafrikk
how big are student accoms usually and are they big enough to at least fit a portable keyboard on a stand :colonhash:

Hello,

4th year Bm5 student at southampton here 👋
What accommodations are you looking at?
It really depends on the accommodations you are looking at, for example there are different size rooms among the UoS accommodations, and some would definitely be roomy enough to accommodate for a stand. The desks in the rooms are also big enough to fit all your electronics.
Here is a link to the accommodations website to check out some pictures https://www.southampton.ac.uk/student-life/accommodation

Hope this helps

Cynthia ( University of Southampton student ambassador)
https://www.southampton.ac.uk
Original post by waitafrikk

Hi @waitafrikk

It really depends on what uni you're looking at and what accommodation, however generally I would say yes! What I would say is that university based accommodation is designed for ease of living so it may not look like you have much room but they are normally quite cleverly furnished to make the most of space. My fist year accommodation for example, wasn't the biggest room, but the way it was laid out made it feel a lot more spacious, and lent itself well to having a keyboard set up- I managed to fit in a full length keyboard!

I would definitely recommend looking at accommodation if you can as sometimes it's quite tricky to gage the size of a room from a photo, and I would also say it's probably best to hold off buying a keyboard if you don't already have one until you know you've got space. Most universities will have practice rooms with pianos in which you can book, so there will be other options to practice even if you don't have space!

I hope this helps:smile:
Yasmin (Lancaster University student ambassador)
When you study at one university but take modules at others does your certificate say all universities or just the one you are actually at. This is for University of London colleges.

I am at UCL, but I take modules at KCL, Will it say both on my certificate?
Original post by _Mia101
How did you know what university course to apply for?

Hi Mia,

This is a very good question indeed.

My advice for you would be to make sure the course you apply for is something you will enjoy because you want to be able to have a good time studying your course at University! From my experience it is really wise to make sure you do plenty of research into the course you want to do and how it is structured at your choices of Uni because you will then know if it is the subject you definitely want to study!!

All Universities should have a prospectus you can view online or even get delivered to your house! My University sent me a prospectus to read where I could see all the courses that they offer and it was very helpful because it allowed me to make my choice of studying Psychology!

The reason why I chose to study Psychology was because I really enjoyed it at A Level and I wanted to increase my understanding into the subject! So maybe think about what you are studying now and decide what subject interests you most. Another important reason why I chose Psychology is because I want a future career in Psychology and having my degree will give me the relevant knowledge I need when i apply for jobs in the near future so also consider what career you want to go into!!

I really hope this has given you an insight into how to go about choosing what you wish to study at University and good luck with deciding! Do let me know if you choose what you want to do, it would be lovely to know your progress

If you wish to have a look at what courses De Montfort University offer then this is the website to look at! DMU Undergraduate Courses

-
Tianna :smile:
what is the teaching like in english lit? is it a lot of discussions or independent work?
I decided to study chemistry and got an unconditional offer from UClan where can I find information about the coursework.
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by _Mia101
How did you know what university course to apply for?

Hi @_Mia101,

The whole university process is daunting and to make it easier on myself I knew I had to ensure that I was choosing somewhere I would feel comfortable. My thinking is, there’s no need to overwhelm yourself even more than you already are by moving away from home so, it’s important to make it easier for yourself wherever possible to help get settled into adulthood.

I chose Chester as it was perfect for this! The city isn’t too overpowering and everything is very close as well as having really good facilities for my creative degree (I’m studying photography). The importance of taking these little things into consideration, when moving away for uni, really matters in order to get the best out of the experience and for yourself to succeed.

For anyone that’s not sure about what they want to do or where to go for uni I would totally recommend spending a day researching and/or visiting different universities as this will help you gain an insight on how you’d settle in. Hopefully, this will give you the inspiration and motivation in the future to explore your opportunities out there!

All the best,
Ellie
Original post by jods_20
what is the teaching like in english lit? is it a lot of discussions or independent work?

Hi @jods_20,

I'm a third year English student here at Southampton so I can tell you a little bit about what it's like to be a literature student at degree level. Experiences of course will vary depending on your institution however, at Southampton I would say that the balance between independent and discussion based work is really nice. Your seminars will be the place where you have the most opportunity to discuss your ideas and analysis with other students, feeding back to the larger group and being able to bounce off of each other.

In terms of independent work you are of course expected to conduct your own research about topics you are interested in and would like to write assessed essays on. There will also be seminar prep that you will most likely complete individually, but sometimes it might be nice to meet up with some course-mates and compare ideas! Your lectures will consist of note-taking independently as you listen to your academic. It is also important to note that you are not expected to write down everything that your lecturer is saying, this is not helpful! In fact, we are advised to only come away with interesting points or concepts that we feel may best inform our future assignments.

I would recommend really making the most out of your seminars, as this is the time in which you can take advantage of having the academic available for questions. You can really clarify any concepts you are unsure of and put yourself in the best position for essay writing later on.

I hope this helps! If you have any other questions, please ask away.

Jasmine (an Official University of Southampton Rep):smile:
Hii sorry this is a bit random but do you know if southampton is lenient with grades becuase i am really worried that i wont be able to reach the grade requirements for my offer there BBB
Original post by UniofChester Rep
Hi @_Mia101,

The whole university process is daunting and to make it easier on myself I knew I had to ensure that I was choosing somewhere I would feel comfortable. My thinking is, there’s no need to overwhelm yourself even more than you already are by moving away from home so, it’s important to make it easier for yourself wherever possible to help get settled into adulthood.

I chose Chester as it was perfect for this! The city isn’t too overpowering and everything is very close as well as having really good facilities for my creative degree (I’m studying photography). The importance of taking these little things into consideration, when moving away for uni, really matters in order to get the best out of the experience and for yourself to succeed.

For anyone that’s not sure about what they want to do or where to go for uni I would totally recommend spending a day researching and/or visiting different universities as this will help you gain an insight on how you’d settle in. Hopefully, this will give you the inspiration and motivation in the future to explore your opportunities out there!

All the best,
Ellie

Hii sorry this is a bit random but do you know if southampton is lenient with grades becuase i am really worried that i wont be able to reach the grade requirements for my offer there BBB

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending