The Student Room Group

Official Thread for Those with Afro-Hair Only - Ladies and Gents . .

Scroll to see replies

flowermaster91
does any1 knw how much afro hair grows each month/week, i really wanna grow my hair! lol

JustJam2006
Good point as there are months where my hair seems to grow at a ridiculous pace and then sometimes it doesn't...it could depend on so many things. Is your hair relaxed at the mo?

If you get into a hair routine, change up your hair products and care for your hair = it'll grow shed loads . . .mine has!!!!

I use to use products that had petrolatum in them, I binned them all and only use one brand (ORS) that has no trace of that crap in them. I also use oils, such as castor oil, sunflower oil and many others to oil my scalp.

Before I wash my hair = I make a pre poo mix = basically this is cheap conditioner mixed with loads of oils. Apply from root to end, leave for an hour (with a hot towel on your head) and then wash off and then shampoo as normal and then use either a protein condition or a moisturising conditioner. After all that you will see such a difference and from doing this my hair has grown shed loads! Also I wrap my hair at night with a satin scarf . . . again has worked wonders.

Mind me asking, what is your hair routine? . .

EDIT: I have started to strech my relaxers now, ie every 10weeks . . . gives the hair chance to grow, but also to avoid the possibility of relaxing hair that has already been relaxed. This again has contributed to my hair growth.
JustJam2006
Good point as there are months where my hair seems to grow at a ridiculous pace and then sometimes it doesn't...it could depend on so many things. Is your hair relaxed at the mo?

yes it's relaxed
flowermaster91
yes it's relaxed

. . . What I've just said - will make it grow! My hair is relaxed as well . . . .

:smile:
DancinBallerina
If you get into a hair routine, change up your hair products and care for your hair = it'll grow shed loads . . .mine has!!!!

I use to use products that had petrolatum in them, I binned them all and only use one brand (ORS) that has no trace of that crap in them. I also use oils, such as castor oil, sunflower oil and many others to oil my scalp.

Before I wash my hair = I make a pre poo mix = basically this is cheap conditioner mixed with loads of oils. Apply from root to end, leave for an hour (with a hot towel on your head) and then wash off and then shampoo as normal and then use either a protein condition or a moisturising conditioner. After all that you will see such a difference and from doing this my hair has grown shed loads! Also I wrap my hair at night with a satin scarf . . . again has worked wonders.

EDIT: I have started to strech my relaxers now, ie every 10weeks . . . gives the hair chance to grow, but also to avoid the possibility of relaxing hair that has already been relaxed. This again has contributed to my hair growth.

usually wash my hair with conditioner and shampoo, then i use this olive oil moisturizer to help soften it...thnx for the tip about petrolatum i need to check that out now,i also need to find my self a satin scarf lol thnx again
DancinBallerina
. . . What I've just said - will make it grow! My hair is relaxed as well . . . .

sweet :biggrin:
DancinBallerina

Yeh, that does help. I used to stretch my relaxers for that long but in that period, my hair would break more easily.However, I found that wrapping my hair at night and not overcombing helped to stretch it even more.

I'm quite intrigued my this 'pre poo' thing though. I'm going to be washing and treating my hair today so might seek out some of my hair oils.

Sorry for hijacking your conversation!
flowermaster91
yes it's relaxed

Oh, I see. I second the wrapping at night with a silk scarf routine...since I've been doing that, my hair has grown so much!!
flowermaster91
usually wash my hair with conditioner and shampoo, then i use this olive oil moisturizer to help soften it...thnx for the tip about petrolatum i need to check that out now,i also need to find my self a satin scarf lol thnx again

No worries.

I was the same ''I want my hair to grow'' and it just wasn't growing.

I went onto some American websites to see how they grow their hair, and that is what I have learnt, taken on board and its made such a difference. My hair use to fall out loads as well, I no longer get that, my hair is thick and healthy and is now just past my shoulders, whereas my hair was above my shoulders in Sept 08.

Im having my hair done (relaxed since Jan) on Tues, so I will post pictures for the thread - so everyone can see the difference from this hair routine I have started.

JustJam2006
Yeh, that does help. I used to stretch my relaxers for that long but in that period, my hair would break more easily.However, I found that wrapping my hair at night and not overcombing helped to stretch it even more.

I'm quite intrigued my this 'pre poo' thing though. I'm going to be washing and treating my hair today so might seek out some of my hair oils.

Sorry for hijacking your conversation!

I use to relax every 6 weeks and I found that it was basically relaxing the fresh hair from before as I didn't have enough new growth . . so I now stretch 8-10weeks and there is loads of new growth (right now my hair is so wavey from so much growth). I have lost my satin scarf, but will hunt down Birmingham on my travels in two weeks time to top up on hair products (cheap as chips up there on their hair stuff . . . ).

As for the pre poo thing - it works (well it does for my hair and my ends). I just use the Alberto conditioner (only 99p) mix that with castor oil, green oil, apply from root to end, soak a towel in hot water (add abit of cold water on it) ring it out, wrap ya hair in it, put a plastic bag on top and then wrap again with a dry towel and leave for an hour OR if you have a hooded steamer (i think) use that for 20-30mins.
DancinBallerina
I use to relax every 6 weeks and I found that it was basically relaxing the fresh hair from before as I didn't have enough new growth . . so I now stretch 8-10weeks and there is loads of new growth (right now my hair is so wavey from so much growth). I have lost my satin scarf, but will hunt down Birmingham on my travels in two weeks time to top up on hair products (cheap as chips up there on their hair stuff . . . ).

As for the pre poo thing - it works (well it does for my hair and my ends). I just use the Alberto conditioner (only 99p) mix that with castor oil, green oil, apply from root to end, soak a towel in hot water (add abit of cold water on it) ring it out, wrap ya hair in it, put a plastic bag on top and then wrap again with a dry towel and leave for an hour OR if you have a hooded steamer (i think) use that for 20-30mins.

Nice! I think I've seen that Alberto Conditioner in Superdrug. I'll give that a go when I wash my hair next week. Usually, I use ORS Replenishing Conditioner after I shampoo and leave that on for an hour with a plastic bag on!

Thing is, if you pre-poo you don't do the deep conditioning afterwards as well do you?
JustJam2006
Nice! I think I've seen that Alberto Conditioner in Superdrug. I'll give that a go when I wash my hair next week. Usually, I use ORS Replenishing Conditioner after I shampoo and leave that on for an hour with a plastic bag on!

Thing is, if you pre-poo you don't do the deep conditioning afterwards as well do you?

Yea the pre poo prepares the hair for the washing and condition - I still deep condition after shampooing, I usually alternate between the hair mayonnaise for one week (as my hair loves protein), but also the ORS replen pak another week (as that has lil protein, but is more moisture based).
Hey everyone,

i just wanted some advice on my hair. I really dont know what to do with it. Ive had it in a weave for about 2 years now and to be honest the condition of it isnt so great. Its also uneven with some of the sides being very low whilst the middle, having longer hair. My mum says i should just cut it and let it even out but im not so sure. Do you think this would be advisiable? Ive never really suited short hair and thought of looking like a boy (im joking) doesnt thril me.

Do you have any suggestions on any hair styles i could do, with my hair? Or just what to do in general. Im thinking of maybe over the summer having it shorter, but im not sure. Any advice would be great thank you
fungirl1234
Hey everyone,

i just wanted some advice on my hair. I really dont know what to do with it. Ive had it in a weave for about 2 years now and to be honest the condition of it isnt so great. Its also uneven with some of the sides being very low whilst the middle, having longer hair. My mum says i should just cut it and get it even out but im not so sure. Do you think this would be advisiable? Ive never really suited long hair and thought of looking like a boy (im joking) doesnt thril me.

Do you have any suggestions on any hair styles i could do, with my hair? Or just what to do in general. Im thinking of maybe over the summer having it shorter, but im not sure. Any advice would be great thank you

My hair is long in parts and short in places as well and the advice of ''cut it'' is what I have had from my mum and my hairdresser - but im not going to . . im just going to keep it going and then when I feel its time to cut it into a style then I will do so.

Hmmm maybe go to a hairdresser and see what they say . . . they may be able to offer some advice on what they think suits your hair and etc . . . perhaps braids? . . or just give your hair a break full stop - give it a good treatment, cut it (although you don't really want to) and just leave it . . . let it replenish itself (if that makes sense) . . .

Hope that is sort of helpful to you . . .:smile:

DB
What do you think of rihanna's hair cut?

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_vCSIyT3cQxY/SbI4oq5_JiI/AAAAAAAADrc/J2QR20EBNcE/s320/Whipping_My_Hair_Lyrics_Video_Rihanna.jpg

Im trying to think of girls with short hair that look good. That style would be hard to pull off if you dont have her looks
Interesting froum been member for two years learned A LOT ABOUT African Hair.

http://www.longhaircareforum.com/forums/
(edited 13 years ago)
Chiba_Revolution
Interesting froum been member for two years learned A LOT ABOUT African Hair.

http://www.longhaircareforum.com/forums/

are you a paying member?
Reply 597
hi im 15 and might be getting my hair relaxed is it a good idea to have it done.
x-Ruth-x
hi im 15 and might be getting my hair relaxed is it a good idea to have it done.

here are some points to consider
1. ideally, it would be better to leave your hair natural because your hair will be healthier. relaxed hair is more susceptible to breakage in my opinion.
2. how does your hair look like when you straighten it with hair straightners? if it looks good then personally I wouldn't relax. the only reason why my hair is relaxed is because I have really tough hair and i literally cannot brush through my natural hair.
hey guys, lovin this thread! im half black so my 'afro' is more ringletty/frizzy and really really wanna get it growing, i straighten it all the time (kinda HAS to be done lol). You guys mentioned keracare a few times would that help? which one would i use? any other tips? don't want to spend too much, oh and happy easter :smile: ! xxx

Quick Reply

Latest