The Student Room Group

Official Thread for Those with Afro-Hair Only - Ladies and Gents . .

Scroll to see replies

pina.Love
any one here that washes their hair daily every other day?

Since it started getting warmer I've been cowashing every other day.
questionmark
Go to Hairlista, longhairecare.com and k-i-s-s.biz they have loads and loads of tips, videos, discussions, blogs and forums. Try and develop a weekly hair regimen for your hair that you can stick to. One great tip is to use castor oil (this promotes healthy growth) on your scalp 3 days before washing.

The 2 main things that gave me longer hair was avoiding heat (no straighteners, no tongs, no hairdryers) just air drying instead and ensuring my hair is moisturised daily.

I love Elasta's hair products esp their mango butter and creme conditioning shampoo. Other good brands are V05 (because they contain oils), creme of nature and aphogee.

Thanks for the websites, they are great!
I hardly ever use heat (only hairdryers when my hair is out of plaits), how do you air dry your hair without it tangling & breaking?
dime_piece
Thanks for the websites, they are great!
I hardly ever use heat (only hairdryers when my hair is out of plaits), how do you air dry your hair without it tangling & breaking?

I comb my hair and put them into four plaits and wrap it and let it dry overnight. Or for relaxed hair, you could braidouts - maybe just do two french plaits and wrap it overnight and then when you take it out hair should be curly. There's a video here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZkftCx3q5mU
pina.Love

When i (finally) relax my hair, I plan to co wash twice a week and shampoo wash once a week, thats basically every other day.
DancinBallerina
:nope: . . .That would kill my hair, ie dry it on and also cost me too much in buying shampoo.

Mind me asking why you ask?

not with shampoo, but with conditioner, or just rinsing the hair with water.
There was a few threads with on the lhcf that women with long hair wash their hair everyday or everyother day. Apparently someone went from sl to apl in 8months lol
Also lots of women reported retaining length because of the added moisture.
pina.Love
not with shampoo, but with conditioner, or just rinsing the hair with water.
There was a few threads with on the lhcf that women with long hair wash their hair everyday or everyother day. Apparently someone went from sl to apl in 8months lol
Also lots of women reported retaining length because of the added moisture.

Ooo yea I have heard of those washing techniques - tbh I am too scared to try it incase it damages my hair lol . . :tongue: . . (Yes I am a chicken, but it's taken me agess to get my hair to where it is now, im scared it'll go back to the beginning = short up to my ears! :s-smilie: )
DancinBallerina
Ooo yea I have heard of those washing techniques - tbh I am too scared to try it incase it damages my hair lol . . :tongue: . . (Yes I am a chicken, but it's taken me agess to get my hair to where it is now, im scared it'll go back to the beginning = short up to my ears! :s-smilie: )

how long is your hair? and are you natural or relaxed?
questionmark
I comb my hair and put them into four plaits and wrap it and let it dry overnight. Or for relaxed hair, you could braidouts - maybe just do two french plaits and wrap it overnight and then when you take it out hair should be curly. There's a video here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZkftCx3q5mU

Thanks!
pina.Love
how long is your hair? and are you natural or relaxed?

Past my shoulders and it's relaxed - but I only do it every 12weeks and I take good care of it. I don't overload my hair with loads of products, I trim every so often. I can't stand weave or braids (no offence to anyone who wears it all the time). My brother's ex gf literally lives in weave, it's all she ever talks about - however when she takes out the weave she is more or less bald - the weave has thinned out her hair.

I'd rather stick with what I am doing and works for me - no point changing what is not fixed! . . .
DancinBallerina
Past my shoulders and it's relaxed - but I only do it every 12weeks and I take good care of it. I don't overload my hair with loads of products, I trim every so often. I can't stand weave or braids (no offence to anyone who wears it all the time). My brother's ex gf literally lives in weave, it's all she ever talks about - however when she takes out the weave she is more or less bald - the weave has thinned out her hair.

I'd rather stick with what I am doing and works for me - no point changing what is not fixed! . . .

Omg mee too!
I hate weaves with a vengeance, I wore them for a year and hated it! I just like to touch my head, but my hair did grow.
but then my hair broke off again because i was lazy. so I will def be washing my hair everyday.
i need the moisture
DancinBallerina

I used to wear weaves as well and they did thin out my edges, but it wasn't as bad as you describe. I stopped at the beginning of last year though, now I wear braids mostly and my hair's never been so long in my life. Imo, braids are better coz I have more control over them with regards keeping it clean, moisturised and making sure they're not too tight.
pina.Love
Omg mee too!
I hate weaves with a vengeance, I wore them for a year and hated it! I just like to touch my head, but my hair did grow.
but then my hair broke off again because i was lazy. so I will def be washing my hair everyday.
i need the moisture

For daily washes, I recommend V05 Moisture Milks. That's what I use for my cowashes and they smell heavenly and are awesomely moisturising, lol. I saw them in Pak's Finsbury Park the other day and was so excited as I previously stocked them up from the US (99 cents a bottle :biggrin: ) or Nigeria (350 naira). They're only £1.29 in Pak's so cheap anywhere around the world. If you can get your hands on strawberries and cream, my favourite. Followed closely by mango and passion fruit. Ah i could rave about these all day! :yes:
pina.Love
Omg mee too!
i need the moisture

LoL My brother and my cousin (male) hate them as well . . .lol. When my bro's then gf came round the bathroom, his room, the landing was jus covered in her hair - I got blamed for it and I was like '':shock: it's not mine''. It's all, well majority of black women seem to wear these days. And what is pissing me off now because I am actually caring for my hair and I look after it, the comments of ''are you wearing weave'' is what I seem to be asked now and again which is sooo annoying. My hair is 110% MY OWN and I wouldn't dare wear it - especially after watching Jamelia's documentary on weave/false hair and etc, *shudders*. I believe it works for some women to help their hair grow and etc, but when I was a kid (obv. had no choice back then), I had the braids and it did nothing for my hair apart from break the sides and damage the back.

Once again, no offence to those who wear weave/braids - just expressing my view/ opinion on them.
Hair is soo annoying to care for, but once you get the swing of it- it's sooo good :yep:.
maghreblover
I used to wear weaves as well and they did thin out my edges, but it wasn't as bad as you describe. I stopped at the beginning of last year though, now I wear braids mostly and my hair's never been so long in my life. Imo, braids are better coz I have more control over them with regards keeping it clean, moisturised and making sure they're not too tight.

Bro said her sides and neck back were literally bald from years and years of weave and the top as well :s-smilie:. I guess what works for some, doesn't necessarily work for others which I fully understand and appreciate. :smile:

Don't you find (now the weather is slightly warmer) that your braids itch? or are they ok?? . .
DancinBallerina
Bro said her sides and neck back were literally bald from years and years of weave and the top as well :s-smilie:. I guess what works for some, doesn't necessarily work for others which I fully understand and appreciate. :smile:

Don't you find (now the weather is slightly warmer) that your braids itch? or are they ok?? . .

Too true about different things working for different people! I do have a friend in uni who basically has no sides to her hair that her stylist now glues the weave to her scalp :o:

Lol, I'm actually out of braids at the moment, just twisted my hair without extensions for exam time. But I don't think the heat would bother me too much since I wear braids even when I go back to Nigeria.
maghreblover
Too true about different things working for different people! I do have a friend in uni who basically has no sides to her hair that her stylist now glues the weave to her scalp :o:

Lol, I'm actually out of braids at the moment, just twisted my hair without extensions for exam time. But I don't think the heat would bother me too much since I wear braids even when I go back to Nigeria.

Glue weave to her actual head? :shock: seriously? . . .my gawd . .

Ooo . .that's good then. I remember when I had them in as a child and I was in agony from itching! I went to Jamaica with them and obv. the heat was the contributing factor. Bad times (back then).
maghreblover
For daily washes, I recommend V05 Moisture Milks. That's what I use for my cowashes and they smell heavenly and are awesomely moisturising, lol. I saw them in Pak's Finsbury Park the other day and was so excited as I previously stocked them up from the US (99 cents a bottle :biggrin: ) or Nigeria (350 naira). They're only £1.29 in Pak's so cheap anywhere around the world. If you can get your hands on strawberries and cream, my favourite. Followed closely by mango and passion fruit. Ah i could rave about these all day! :yes:

OMG, I've been wanting to try those V05 moisture milks, but I can never find them anywhere at all, it's so annoying, I was thinking they don't really sell in this country or something. Though, I did see them once in a £1 shop in Jersey when I was on holiday there last year, I dunno why but I didn't buy any, but I should have and I really regret that now :banghead: Oh well, I make do with alternatives.
pina.Love

Nao way , every two days. But when it's not hot every few weeks , the heat is a real bitch ya'll
Anyone ever dyed their hair before? Which ones would you recommend?
My scalp is highly sensitive so I can use a dye that is too strong
hwalusimo1
Anyone ever dyed their hair before? Which ones would you recommend?
My scalp is highly sensitive so I can use a dye that is too strong

Never dyed my hair before and would never dye it BUT a tip you may like to know - ensure you treat your hair WELL!!! Many people dye their hair and think ''that's it''!! No . . you must ensure you treat the hair otherwise it'll start to fall out and break off!!

Quick Reply

Latest