The Student Room Group

Official Thread for Those with Afro-Hair Only - Ladies and Gents . .

Scroll to see replies

Original post by DancinBallerina
Thank you :smile:

I would also like to know...how do you stick to your regime (i.e. being really disciplined about it)? I am trying to look after my afro hair more but I've been so stressed and not doing everything to take care of my hair and neglecting it a little bit. I find it so hard sometimes, but I know it can be done.
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by Dee Leigh
I would also like to know...how do you stick to your regime (i.e. being really disciplined about it)? I am trying to look after my afro hair more but I've been so stressed and not doing everything to take care of my hair and neglecting it a little bit. I find it so hard sometimes, but I know it can be done.

I've just become disciplined and I think to myself I will loose what I have attained over the past few years. I do have times where I think ''I can't be bothered'', but I just get on with it. Determination plays a big part in it too.
Reply 1582
I have finished the blog, feel free to have a read. Let me know if you are unclear about anything, and I will try my best to explain properly :smile:

I am off to bed, cheerio :smile:

http://hairandbeautylicious.blogspot.com/

Hey DB!
I Love the blog!

I also have to comment on the growth of your hair in such a short time! It is wonderful, it is nice to see that it is possible with discipline and a good regime that hair can grow. It is very sterotypical for people to believe (black) people with long hair must have a weave or be mixed.

My hair has always been around just APL (like your own) since i can remember, it has never been any longer or shorter (unless it was cut) and i am very much determined to get it to BSL!

Seeing your progress has made me more determined to get it to my hair goal ^_^

Many thanks there DB :smile:

How is your hair care going? (I know it is very obvious haha but i must ask)

xo
Heey! I think i will be trying to do more wash and gos now that the weather is getting a little better. Do any of you know any products or techniques to make your curl pattern more defined.

The back of my hair is fine but the front gets very frizzy! :/ x
Original post by Rafaela
Hey DB!
I Love the blog!

I also have to comment on the growth of your hair in such a short time! It is wonderful, it is nice to see that it is possible with discipline and a good regime that hair can grow. It is very sterotypical for people to believe (black) people with long hair must have a weave or be mixed.

My hair has always been around just APL (like your own) since i can remember, it has never been any longer or shorter (unless it was cut) and i am very much determined to get it to BSL!

Seeing your progress has made me more determined to get it to my hair goal ^_^

Many thanks there DB :smile:

How is your hair care going? (I know it is very obvious haha but i must ask)

xo

Thanks, glad you like the blog. :smile: I actually am really enjoying writing on it, it's keeping me occupied whilst I look for a job.

Yea, since I was a child I had always heard the ''Black people's hair doesn't grow'' and I was like, even then as a young child, it didn't make sense. Just doing some basic research and caring for hair properly, black people's hair DOES grow. What many black people lack (and I did as well) is the knowledge on how to care for hair. Many people just buy the cheap products, and go. But from my research it IS the cheap products that is in fact stumping the hair growth and actually damaging it.

Many times in the street I am stopped and people ask ''Are you wearing weave?'' . .Im like ''Nope'' lol. I went into Dunelm a few months back, and the girl was looking @ me weird, she said ''Is that your hair?'', I said ''yep, it sure is'' lol I have never worn weave, it just looks v itchy and hot and after a while would do my head in lol. I have nothing against those who wear it but it's personally not for me.

My hair routine/care is still the same, I was poorly not long ago, so obv, my hair took a lil battering, but it's picking up again and I have still retained the growth.

I am glad that my blog and hair snaps have inspired you to keep going with the hair growth and care, and I'm sure you'll get there. Patience and determination is key! :smile::smile:
Original post by CherryCherryBoomBoom
Wow, your hair looks great! :biggrin:

My hair is about the same length as yours, but it doesn't look half as cute :frown:. Just seems like so much effort to get it looking somewhat decent. I've even been considering relaxing again, but I want to try and hold out longer before I do anything I regret. Hopefully I can get some braid extensions done this week :yep:

Don't do it! there's no need for braids either, Sunshower143 on youtube has great protective styles, give 'em a go!

And thanks, more pics coming soon.
Original post by Asha5692
Don't do it! there's no need for braids either, Sunshower143 on youtube has great protective styles, give 'em a go!

And thanks, more pics coming soon.

Oh, too late, I already got them done :o:. It's OK though, I like wearing braids, and these ones are really awesome and waist-length :biggrin:. I had a bit of a fun time earlier dancing and whipping my hair to the Willow Smith song (first time I've had in braids since that song came out haha).

The braids will do for now for a couple of months, while I don't have to go crazy dealing with my hair, lol. I will check out that Youtuber, thanks for the recommendation :yep:
Heyyy anybody know of a site with good NATURAL black hairstyles?
Most of the ones I've found are with girls with weave. My hair is quite long (past shoulder length) and I need some new styling ideas that ideally use minimum heat!

Thanks girls :smile:
Original post by woods.vanessa
Heyyy anybody know of a site with good NATURAL black hairstyles?
Most of the ones I've found are with girls with weave. My hair is quite long (past shoulder length) and I need some new styling ideas that ideally use minimum heat!

Thanks girls :smile:

I can give you tons but I'll stick to the best websites:
www.curlynikki.com
www.bglhonline.com
www.newlynatural.com
www.naturalchica.com > she has some great how-to videos

All of these websites should have links to youtubers who have how-to videos e.g. naptural85 is great
Does anybody know of any hairdressers in or near London that's good at cutting layers?
Hello all, I have a few questions to put to you all:

Where do you purchase your hair products?

Would you consider purchasing your products online?

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm considering doing something (seeing as I can't get a job), but I just want to see what the feedback is like first.

Thanks in advance!
Reply 1591

I'm considering doing something (seeing as I can't get a job), but I just want to see what the feedback is like first.

Thanks in advance!

I purchase my hair products from a local store that sells products for mostly people who do have afro type hair, this is from mixed hair to black hair.

I would not really consider purchasing online unless i am familiar with the product, if it is a new product i would rather go in a store to look before buying :smile:

hope that helps DB!

Thanks in advance!

I usually buy mine from shops near to me. If i am buying a product that is hard to find or the shop doesn't stock then i will buy online... I use these websites.

http://www.rootsandsculpture.co.uk/

http://www.pakcosmetics.com/

http://www.1stophair.com/catalog/
This has just been tweeted on my twitter and posted on facebook by blogger 'Uglyfaceofbeauty'.

http://www.afrohairshow.com/
Hi guys, i have relaxed my hair only once and that was like 4 months ago. I was just wondering do i have to retouch my hair every couple of months or will something happen to my hair if i were to just leave it like this without ever retouching it ever again? Also if i were to not ever retouch again, would the hair that is already relaxed go back to it's orignal state?

Thanks
Original post by rurounikenji
Hi guys, i have relaxed my hair only once and that was like 4 months ago. I was just wondering do i have to retouch my hair every couple of months or will something happen to my hair if i were to just leave it like this without ever retouching it ever again? Also if i were to not ever retouch again, would the hair that is already relaxed go back to it's orignal state?

Thanks

Are you trying to go natural? Or do you just not want to relax for a while? If you don't relax your new growth/regrowth, then it will remain in it's natural afro texture, whilst the relaxed part will stay relaxed, so afro top and relaxed ends. I don't know if I explained it too well but hope that helps :biggrin:
Original post by rurounikenji

Thanks

Original post by l'amourtoujours
Are you trying to go natural? Or do you just not want to relax for a while? If you don't relax your new growth/regrowth, then it will remain in it's natural afro texture, whilst the relaxed part will stay relaxed, so afro top and relaxed ends. I don't know if I explained it too well but hope that helps :biggrin:

OP, I personally relax my hair every 8-10 weeks when I see a decent amount of growth. IF I don't relax the growth, I get breakage, which is the same for a lot of people who relax once and don't retouch the growth. If you want to get rid of the relax, then it is suggested by some to cut off the relax, and continue the growth of the afro. If you wish to keep the relax, then I suggest perhaps going for another relax. Although if you feel that your hair doesn't need to be relax yet, then so be it. But just go careful, otherwise you will see breakage, ie your hair breaking off.

Thing with relax is, once you start, you've got to maintain it well (which I found out). You've got to ensure you're using the correct products, maintaining the roots and treating/conditioning properly.

Hope that helps.
Reply 1597
Does anybody here know some good Afro - Caribbean hair salon in Newcastle ?
I'm desperate since I can't find anything on Google.
anyone know any good ones in west london? or greater london?
Original post by jessyfantastic90
anyone know any good ones in west london? or greater london?

+1

I'd like to know too.

Quick Reply

Latest