The Student Room Group

Official Thread for Those with Afro-Hair Only - Ladies and Gents . .

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1920
Original post by lilmissA
Thank you for your response, Weaves and braids are nice but like i say i want to wear my own hair a bit out more because i want to have the chance to treat it properley that is deep conditioning evry two weeks and washing it etc and with extensions that is not that convenient to do. Well For my deep conditioning treatment i was thinking of using natural products like a mix of mayonaise, honey and teaspon of castor oil evry two weeks and once a month do a henna treatment with that. For my leave in conditioner I was thinking of making a mix of unrefined shea butter, aloe vera gel, and castor oil and then using castor oil to seal in my hair and i would spray my hair with boiled water mixed with castor oil. I have never really donw that but i went through some natural hair forums and wanted to give that a try 1st. What do you think of that regimen and what products do you use?

your regimen sounds quite good, as for my products I use African pride olive miracles moisturizer and seal with my oil mix. I shampoo with naked rescue shampoo and condition and co-wash with Tresseme naturals conditioner.

I deep condition with a mix of egg, yoghurt, honey, oils and tresseme naturals conditioner. once in a while I pre-poo with coconut oil as well. when I'm styling my hair I use eco styler gel to keep my hair intact.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by flosaw9
your regimen sounds quite good, as for my products I use African pride olive miracles moisturizer and seal with my oil mix. I shampoo with naked rescue shampoo and condition and co-wash with Tresseme naturals conditioner.

I deep condition with a mix of egg, yoghurt, honey, oils and tresseme naturals conditioner. once in a while I pre-poo with coconut oil as well. when I'm styling my hair I use eco styler gel to keep my hair intact.

Thank you for sharing! I was thinking of using eco styler gel but being a chemist ime a bit iffy about the ingredients. I was thinking of trying out aloe vera gel as an alternative 1st hand to see how that works ... Can aloe vera gel help to define curls in 4c hair ?? Does it work in a similar manner to eco styler gel?? Ime actually super excited a i just ordered my products online and cant wait to start with my hair growth journey !! :smile:
Reply 1922
Original post by lilmissA
Thank you for sharing! I was thinking of using eco styler gel but being a chemist ime a bit iffy about the ingredients. I was thinking of trying out aloe vera gel as an alternative 1st hand to see how that works ... Can aloe vera gel help to define curls in 4c hair ?? Does it work in a similar manner to eco styler gel?? Ime actually super excited a i just ordered my products online and cant wait to start with my hair growth journey !! :smile:

Does your hair have noticeable curls when wet? That's a pretty good indicator of whether or not you'll be able to define curls with a product. If moisture=curls, then yes, aloe, eco styler, and really anything else that imparts the right ratio of moisture to your hair will make your curls pop. For me, my hair is curly wet and dry, but when dry it's more frizzy and less defined. If I keep it moisturized properly, then the curls show all the time. I don't really know what hair type I have to be honest, so I'm afraid I'm a bit at a loss with the hair typing systems. Still, see above! :smile:
Reply 1923
We should merge the mixed race/black hair care thread with this one
Hey everyone! I was lucky enough to be featured on Black Girl with Long Hair! Check out my régime here http://blackgirllonghair.com/2012/08/asha-4b-natural-hair-style-icon/

This is their Facebook page
https://www.facebook.com/blackgirllonghair

This is me :smile:
asha1.png
(edited 11 years ago)
Hello everyone, I am a bit of a newbie to the afro hair thing. My hair is coarse thick and the breakage is just frustrating. I don't know how to take care of it properly.

If anyone would be kind enough to tell me their regime and the names of the products that they use, I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks.
Reply 1926
Original post by abisolaay
Hello everyone, I am a bit of a newbie to the afro hair thing. My hair is coarse thick and the breakage is just frustrating. I don't know how to take care of it properly.

If anyone would be kind enough to tell me their regime and the names of the products that they use, I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks.

Breakage- what do you sleep with
what products do you use on your hair?
Reply 1927
kmt went to a salon. The hairdresser had a go at me , she said I shouldn't plait my hair because it is not natural , apparently it is only meant for natural hair.However, my treatment was good, got my hair blow dried, tonged, steamed for £26. Wanted to book an appointment to relax but she said it cost £40 wtf? £40 to relax. So hard to find a good, affordable black hairdresser
Original post by Ebuwa
Breakage- what do you sleep with
what products do you use on your hair?

I tried using a satin scarf but it always comes off when i sleep, so I gave up on that. I use Alberto balsam shampoo, le kair cholesterol hair strengthener and conditioner, softn'free oil moisturizer, organics fertilizer hair therapy, castor oil with water and organic lock & twist gel for two strand twists. These are products I saw in the hair shop and they looked like they might help.

With regards to your post, you would get a family member/friend to help you relax it.
Reply 1929

I like the Shea Moisture line of products, they're all quite affordable and if your hair likes protein, the Coconut and Hibiscus line (pink labels) is really really nice. If you are protein sensitive, try the Raw Shea Butter line (that's protein free- yellow labels). The Shea Moisture Moisture retention shampoo is supposed to be really nice. You could also try Aubrey Organics conditioners (have to order online I think) There's the Honeysuckle Rose which is protein free, and the GBP which isn't. I LOVE Tresemme Naturals condish, it's amazing! Protein free so it might help add more moisture to your hair. Yes To Carrots is also quite good (although I always mix it with honey, egg, coconut, olive, castor oil and yoghurt for a really nice moisturizing deep condition.)

Regimen-wise, I deep condition every week (my hair loves protein, so I always do a protein + moisture DC by mixing a protein conditioner (Giovannis usually) with a moisture conditioner (YTC) and adding the above oils, egg, yoghurt or avocado, and honey. I leave that on for two hours preferably, and then wash it out in the shower, shampoo, and apply more Tresemme (quite a lot!) to detangle my hair with. I detangle in four sections, after letting the tresemme sit for around 3-4 minutes to soften up any tangles. Then I do a final rinse and get out!

Sorry for the long post- the whole process takes about 45 minutes in shower, so it's really not that long, and it's even shorter if I finger detangle before I apply my deep condition. :smile:
Hi everyone I have a blog on mixed race hair, would be great if you guys could check it out and give me some tips?
http://mixed-hair.blogspot.co.uk/

Ive had the same problem as you! Pictures are on my blog along with how i restored my hair and a lot of tips on how to stop our hair breaking :smile:
take a look and let me know if you want anymore help:
Hiyaaa beautiful people. I recently cut my hair off :redface:! I tried to cut my hair myself (relaxed) and it went oh so wrong. Lmao. Anyway, now Im regrowing my hair. I quite like it short, but I want it to be shoulder length again. (it was shoulder length, when straight.) so, any tips for growing very curly short hair. :smile: on another note.. How can I get rid of dandruff ?
Reply 1933
Original post by anonymouspie227
Hiyaaa beautiful people. I recently cut my hair off :redface:! I tried to cut my hair myself (relaxed) and it went oh so wrong. Lmao. Anyway, now Im regrowing my hair. I quite like it short, but I want it to be shoulder length again. (it was shoulder length, when straight.) so, any tips for growing very curly short hair. :smile: on another note.. How can I get rid of dandruff ?

Kind of depends on what's causing the dandruff in my experience! If you have big flakes, and it's itchy, but otherwise there's no visible rash or anything, you can try head and shoulders, Nizoral, or Selsun Blue (the last two might be easier to find online). If it's smaller flakes, with really intense itching and you notice that you're also itching at your hairline or neck etc, then that could be something else- you probably want to talk to a doctor first, but I've found that an ACV rinse clears up any itching and flaking of the scalp caused by an allergic reaction to products (ugh- don't ask. I tried everything before I found that one.) Anyway, I hope that was helpful!

Oh- for growing curly hair, I guess just try out some products on your hair to see what it likes to stay moisturized, and after that just let it be. It's always growing, so it'll eventually grow back again. If you want to know how fast your hair grows, it can be pretty interesting to measure monthly from whatever length you have, once you have a number you can kind of calculate approximately how long it'll take you to grow your hair back to the length you want. You can also try scalp massages ('cuz they just feel really, really good!) - it keeps the blood circulating and might help you get your maximum growth rate (though this is questionable- I haven't found any real science that supports that one, but it really does feel gooooood...)
Original post by Tel8
I like the Shea Moisture line of products, they're all quite affordable and if your hair likes protein, the Coconut and Hibiscus line (pink labels) is really really nice. If you are protein sensitive, try the Raw Shea Butter line (that's protein free- yellow labels). The Shea Moisture Moisture retention shampoo is supposed to be really nice. You could also try Aubrey Organics conditioners (have to order online I think) There's the Honeysuckle Rose which is protein free, and the GBP which isn't. I LOVE Tresemme Naturals condish, it's amazing! Protein free so it might help add more moisture to your hair. Yes To Carrots is also quite good (although I always mix it with honey, egg, coconut, olive, castor oil and yoghurt for a really nice moisturizing deep condition.)

Regimen-wise, I deep condition every week (my hair loves protein, so I always do a protein + moisture DC by mixing a protein conditioner (Giovannis usually) with a moisture conditioner (YTC) and adding the above oils, egg, yoghurt or avocado, and honey. I leave that on for two hours preferably, and then wash it out in the shower, shampoo, and apply more Tresemme (quite a lot!) to detangle my hair with. I detangle in four sections, after letting the tresemme sit for around 3-4 minutes to soften up any tangles. Then I do a final rinse and get out!

Sorry for the long post- the whole process takes about 45 minutes in shower, so it's really not that long, and it's even shorter if I finger detangle before I apply my deep condition. :smile:

Thank you so much for the detailed post, just what I needed. I am definitely going to try some of the products. If you don't mind, I have got a few more questions, how do you deal with shrinkage and what heat protectant do you use when blow drying? Also how do you go about trimming away split ends? Am so grateful :smile:
Original post by Chantelle0ox
Ive had the same problem as you! Pictures are on my blog along with how i restored my hair and a lot of tips on how to stop our hair breaking :smile:
take a look and let me know if you want anymore help:

Thank you so much, could not agree more about the relaxer experience, just awful the damage it does. My hair is so much better eventhough it's not at its healthiest yet. Lots of good advice and new hair knowledge, lovely blog! I was wondering how exactly do you trim off the split ends? and what heat protectant do you use when blow drying? :smile:
Reply 1936
Thank you so much for the detailed post, just what I needed. I am definitely going to try some of the products. If you don't mind, I have got a few more questions, how do you deal with shrinkage and what heat protectant do you use when blow drying? Also how do you go about trimming away split ends? Am so grateful :smile:

I'm afraid I can't be much help with the heat protectant question, because I haven't used any heat on my hair in about a year! I did read that grapeseed oil is a great natural heat protectant though, and there's a Tresemme one that's also supposed to be quite good.

Shrinkage is interesting for me, I definitely get it, but my hair tends to stretch pretty easily, so what I do is after I wash it (in four sections!) I then split each section into two and plait each one. Then once it's completely dry, I have a braidout, and my hair is really nicely stretched so I can do whatever else I want with it. Another variation is to dry your hair in four buns (or however many you like, just more than one :smile: ) to keep it stretched. Once it's stretched, go ahead and style it any way you like. When I need to moisturize my hair mid-week, I just arrange to braid or twist down my hair at the same time, this way each time I add water, I'm also combating the shrinkage. I hope that helps!
Thank you so much, could not agree more about the relaxer experience, just awful the damage it does. My hair is so much better eventhough it's not at its healthiest yet. Lots of good advice and new hair knowledge, lovely blog! I was wondering how exactly do you trim off the split ends? and what heat protectant do you use when blow drying? :smile:

Oh its so nice to have some feedback it really means a lot :biggrin:
Tbh I just chop of the ends as I see them and then get my hair cut about twice a year. I should get cut it more often but my hairdresser is very scissor happy and loves cutting loads off.
I use like a tresemme one. Tbh as long as it doesnt have alcohol or any bad ingredients then they're pretty much all the same imo.
Original post by Tel8
I'm afraid I can't be much help with the heat protectant question, because I haven't used any heat on my hair in about a year! I did read that grapeseed oil is a great natural heat protectant though, and there's a Tresemme one that's also supposed to be quite good.

Shrinkage is interesting for me, I definitely get it, but my hair tends to stretch pretty easily, so what I do is after I wash it (in four sections!) I then split each section into two and plait each one. Then once it's completely dry, I have a braidout, and my hair is really nicely stretched so I can do whatever else I want with it. Another variation is to dry your hair in four buns (or however many you like, just more than one :smile: ) to keep it stretched. Once it's stretched, go ahead and style it any way you like. When I need to moisturize my hair mid-week, I just arrange to braid or twist down my hair at the same time, this way each time I add water, I'm also combating the shrinkage. I hope that helps!

Definitely helps! Thanks so much for all your help. :smile:
Original post by Chantelle0ox
Oh its so nice to have some feedback it really means a lot :biggrin:
Tbh I just chop of the ends as I see them and then get my hair cut about twice a year. I should get cut it more often but my hairdresser is very scissor happy and loves cutting loads off.
I use like a tresemme one. Tbh as long as it doesnt have alcohol or any bad ingredients then they're pretty much all the same imo.

No problem :smile: Thanks for being such great help!

Quick Reply

Latest