The Student Room Group

Official Thread for Those with Afro-Hair Only - Ladies and Gents . .

Scroll to see replies

Original post by humy369
Don't know how I've only just found this thread.

I relax my hair every 6 weeks or so and have done for about 2 years. My hairs been getting "thinner" lately, as my mum likes to put it. Was wondering if anyone had any recommendations to get thicker hair :smile:

Ive had the same issue in the past and although my opinion is 'omg dont relax your hair ever again blah blah' I know a load about healthy hair too. If youre hair is thinning its probably because its not healthy and there is a ton of ways to get it back being healthy.
Does it have split ends?
Does it feel mushy?
Here is my blog which might help. I cba to write all the tips on here: http://mixed-hair.blogspot.co.uk/
Also opinions on brazillian blow outs?
Reply 1942
I've heard quite a lot about Brazilian blow outs- I don't really trust anything that uses that much heat to straighten hair personally. I read that the protein structures in the hair melt at high temperatures which causes heat damage (where the hair will no longer curl) and I'm not working this hard to get healthy hair just to melt it!

I plan to blow out my hair with a normal hair dryer for Christmas, and follow it up with a flatiron on a low heat setting. It won't make my hair completely straight, but for me that's okay because I like big, fluffy hair :colone:

That's just my take on it- are you considering getting one?
Original post by Tel8
I've heard quite a lot about Brazilian blow outs- I don't really trust anything that uses that much heat to straighten hair personally. I read that the protein structures in the hair melt at high temperatures which causes heat damage (where the hair will no longer curl) and I'm not working this hard to get healthy hair just to melt it!

I plan to blow out my hair with a normal hair dryer for Christmas, and follow it up with a flatiron on a low heat setting. It won't make my hair completely straight, but for me that's okay because I like big, fluffy hair :colone:

That's just my take on it- are you considering getting one?

Thanks im not considering on getting one NOW but next year. By next year my hair will be like 3 inches below my boobs and it will probably get a bit unmanagable so I thought if I got it and allowing 2 inches to be cut off afterwards to make up for the damage it has caused.

Im worried about the heat too. hmm.

How often do you straighten your hair?
Reply 1944
Original post by Chantelle0ox
Thanks im not considering on getting one NOW but next year. By next year my hair will be like 3 inches below my boobs and it will probably get a bit unmanagable so I thought if I got it and allowing 2 inches to be cut off afterwards to make up for the damage it has caused.

Im worried about the heat too. hmm.

How often do you straighten your hair?

I used to straighten every week before I started to transition in Oct. 2011. I haven't straightened my hair since though! So this September will make it a year without heat or relaxer :smile:

I have tight small curls with strands varying from fine to coarse as anything! My hair takes a lot of work, but I've found that keeping it stretched is the secret to keeping it manageable. Maybe you could try stretching yours as well?
Original post by Tel8
I used to straighten every week before I started to transition in Oct. 2011. I haven't straightened my hair since though! So this September will make it a year without heat or relaxer :smile:

I have tight small curls with strands varying from fine to coarse as anything! My hair takes a lot of work, but I've found that keeping it stretched is the secret to keeping it manageable. Maybe you could try stretching yours as well?

Oh wow! congrats on that.
What do you mean by stretching?I hear of it a lot but im not sure what it is and weather its sutible for my hair. I think my hair is like 3b-c
Reply 1946
Oh wow! congrats on that.
What do you mean by stretching?I hear of it a lot but im not sure what it is and weather its sutible for my hair. I think my hair is like 3b-c

Stretching is basically when you allow your natural curls to dry in a looser state, so I wash in four sections and then I braid or bun each section. That's it! Once my hair is dry, I take out the braids or the bun and the curls are loosened. Instead of being tight springs or spirals, they're stretched out and look like an 's' shape. It's super easy, and it really solves a ton of problems including single strand knots (knots that form on one hair strand somehow- I dunno if you get those) and complex knots (knots that form with more than one strand of hair). It also makes it easier to style because I don't get tangles half as much or as bad. :smile:
Original post by Tel8
Stretching is basically when you allow your natural curls to dry in a looser state, so I wash in four sections and then I braid or bun each section. That's it! Once my hair is dry, I take out the braids or the bun and the curls are loosened. Instead of being tight springs or spirals, they're stretched out and look like an 's' shape. It's super easy, and it really solves a ton of problems including single strand knots (knots that form on one hair strand somehow- I dunno if you get those) and complex knots (knots that form with more than one strand of hair). It also makes it easier to style because I don't get tangles half as much or as bad. :smile:

I feel like that wouldnt work for me, but I'll definitly try it thanks for the help!
When my hair is dry it is already in loseish 's' my hair is confusing :frown:
Swear I have ringlet ends and S shaped curls. Theres a picture of my wet hair on here: http://mixed-hair.blogspot.co.uk/2012/08/hot-oil-treatment.html
Similar to yours?
Reply 1948
I feel like that wouldnt work for me, but I'll definitly try it thanks for the help!
When my hair is dry it is already in loseish 's' my hair is confusing :frown:
Swear I have ringlet ends and S shaped curls. Theres a picture of my wet hair on here: http://mixed-hair.blogspot.co.uk/2012/08/hot-oil-treatment.html
Similar to yours?

No- my curls are pencil to pen-spring sized, so they're a bit smaller! I see what you mean, that it's already in a looser pattern, but give it a try. It still might work a bit.

Just out of curiosity, what makes your hair difficult to manage? I know with mine it's the density- it's just SO thick. When the curls are in their normal tighter state, it's really cute, but a nightmare trying to separate all of it because I literally lose the partings. I only comb it wet, well saturated with conditioner (although I'm bad sometimes and I comb the ends when it's dry with product in it) lol

I know everyone's hair has got its 'ways' so to speak, so there's always something with curly hair that makes it a pain in the arse in one way or another. At least it's healthy though!
Original post by Tel8
No- my curls are pencil to pen-spring sized, so they're a bit smaller! I see what you mean, that it's already in a looser pattern, but give it a try. It still might work a bit.

Just out of curiosity, what makes your hair difficult to manage? I know with mine it's the density- it's just SO thick. When the curls are in their normal tighter state, it's really cute, but a nightmare trying to separate all of it because I literally lose the partings. I only comb it wet, well saturated with conditioner (although I'm bad sometimes and I comb the ends when it's dry with product in it) lol

I know everyone's hair has got its 'ways' so to speak, so there's always something with curly hair that makes it a pain in the arse in one way or another. At least it's healthy though!

I struggle with the health of my hair mainly (once again as seen on my blog but I dont want to over spam) my hair has been disgustingly damaged from root to tip so the main issue is just bringing it back to health and maintaing its health. The thing that I struggle with though is probably frizz and dryness.
P.S. ill be slow to reply work out/stretching time
Reply 1951
P.S. ill be slow to reply work out/stretching time

No worries! I just had dinner, so I'm in no rush.

For frizz control and dryness, it sort of depends on a bunch of things, the holy trinity being: Porosity, strand thickness, and habits

By habits I mean like whether you sleep with a satin bonnet/pillowcase (cotton can dry your hair out) and whether you use heat often.

From what I've seen, curly hair links frizz and dryness together, as in when your hair isn't properly moisturized, your curls will look frizzy and undefined as well as be dry. Since you're mixed, you might benefit from checking out this website:
http://www.tightlycurly.com/welcome

The lady who wrote it is mixed race, with similar hair to yours, and she talks about how she managed to keep hers moisturized, defined, and frizz free.

Hope that helps!
Original post by Tel8
No worries! I just had dinner, so I'm in no rush.

For frizz control and dryness, it sort of depends on a bunch of things, the holy trinity being: Porosity, strand thickness, and habits

By habits I mean like whether you sleep with a satin bonnet/pillowcase (cotton can dry your hair out) and whether you use heat often.

From what I've seen, curly hair links frizz and dryness together, as in when your hair isn't properly moisturized, your curls will look frizzy and undefined as well as be dry. Since you're mixed, you might benefit from checking out this website:
http://www.tightlycurly.com/welcome

The lady who wrote it is mixed race, with similar hair to yours, and she talks about how she managed to keep hers moisturized, defined, and frizz free.

Hope that helps!

That helps so much, thanks a lot!
Hi ladies!
I have Natural for about a month and I've transitioned for a year and a bit. I have a really bad habit of leaving my hair and not doing anything to it, I need some quick and easy protective styles, if anyone has any suggestions I would be very grateful :smile:
Hi everyone

I'm having quite a weird problem: my hair is natural, and my tips have little 'knots' on them.

Any way to deal with this?
Original post by Dee Leigh
Hi everyone

I'm having quite a weird problem: my hair is natural, and my tips have little 'knots' on them.

Hmm when my hair gets like that it tends to be because the ends need a trim, not sure though!
Original post by Whostolemycookie
Hi ladies!
I have Natural for about a month and I've transitioned for a year and a bit. I have a really bad habit of leaving my hair and not doing anything to it, I need some quick and easy protective styles, if anyone has any suggestions I would be very grateful :smile:

Twist outs are really good - especially on blown out hair. Do you know how to two-strand twist? If not, go on YouTube - its sooooo resourceful when it comes to natural hair.
Hi everyone

Trim them off and stop manipulating your hair do much/ letting it get too dry. I had to trim yesterday for the same reason :frown: lol
Which do people think is worse?

1)
When hair is 80% wet blow dry it on a low heat. Whilst blow drying use a big round brush to pull and manipulate the wet hair. Then straighten the hair/ curl etc etc. In this case my hair is already about 80% straight once ive blow dried it but the straightning just makes it smoother and gets to the roots.

2)
When hair is wet leave it air dry, not brushing or combing. Once hair is dry brush / bomb hair whilst straightning/ curling. With this when I brush my hair through I pull it so its like straight and then just straighten it from there. With this my hair actually tends to be less smooth and sleek.

I can never decide which is worse and am constantly switching between the two.

P.s. Im mixed race and have maybe 3b hair
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 1959
Hi everyone

Those sound a bit like single strand knots, which are quite a natural part of being natural from what I've read! I wouldn't worry too much about them personally, as they aren't going to interfere with your hair growth (again this is just going based on my own research). I think if you stretch your hair (mentioned this in another post in here) it's supposed to help stop single strand knots, but of course everyone's hair is different. :wink:

Quick Reply

Latest