The Student Room Group
Chapel, Keele University
Keele University
Keele

Ask a current Keele University student!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Aryz
Ive currently doing a levels in media photography and history but im not sure how the foundation year will be? will i find the subjects hard since i havent done science since gcse and i want to know more about keeles location amnemities stuff like that

Which foundation year is it that you plan on doing?

Personally, I love Keele’s location. You are literally just an hour away from major cities such as Manchester and Birmingham which make for great days/nights out! You can just hop on a train for a cheap price and go! It’s also really quick and easy to get to London by the train to! You’re also close to wales to! Keele campus itself seems like it’s in the middle of nowhere but it’s actually within walking distance of the town center. This is what I love about it! You have that really relaxing, calming countryside feel and there’s plenty of forests, lakes, walks and gardens you can enjoy on campus and around campus. Yet you also have that town center feel where there’s some nice restaurants, shops, and good nightlife ect just a 5 minute drive down the road!

On campus Keele has everything you’d need on campus, Bars, pubs, club area in the SU, Costa, Starbucks, supermarket, Santander bank, chemist, chapel, library, gym, hairdressers, food courts, sports hall, sports fields, launderettes, common rooms and a doctors surgery where a lot of student will register whilst they live on campus! That’s just naming things off of the top of my head to!
Chapel, Keele University
Keele University
Keele
Reply 21
Original post by Keele Student Ambassador

Personally, I love Keele’s location. You are literally just an hour away from major cities such as Manchester and Birmingham which make for great days/nights out! You can just hop on a train for a cheap price and go! It’s also really quick and easy to get to London by the train to! You’re also close to wales to! Keele campus itself seems like it’s in the middle of nowhere but it’s actually within walking distance of the town center. This is what I love about it! You have that really relaxing, calming countryside feel and there’s plenty of forests, lakes, walks and gardens you can enjoy on campus and around campus. Yet you also have that town center feel where there’s some nice restaurants, shops, and good nightlife ect just a 5 minute drive down the road!

On campus Keele has everything you’d need on campus, Bars, pubs, club area in the SU, Costa, Starbucks, supermarket, Santander bank, chemist, chapel, library, gym, hairdressers, food courts, sports hall, sports fields, launderettes, common rooms and a doctors surgery where a lot of student will register whilst they live on campus! That’s just naming things off of the top of my head to!

wow and heres me thinking its in the middle of nowhere lol which hospitals do u get put on placement at
Reply 22

what is the best accomodation for nursing students
Hi, I just wanted to ask what sort of things you start off learning in year 1 in theory, mainly what clinical skills do you approach first, and the sorts of tasks you mind find yourself doing on your first placement (I know this will vary depending on the placement environment)?

Also, how far in advance do you get timetables, especially timetable for shift patterns when on placement, just would be useful for me to know this as I’m looking into childcare. Many thanks! :smile:

Hi!

I am a student at Keele University in my 2nd year of Adult Nursing.

I am also a Student Ambassador for the university so I thought it might be a nice idea to set up this thread so people can ask questions easily! :smile:

So, fire away!
Original post by Aryz
wow and heres me thinking its in the middle of nowhere lol which hospitals do u get put on placement at

Original post by Aryz
what is the best accomodation for nursing students

Hi!

It’s definitely not in the middle of no where but it can feel like it which I actually really like!

The placement circuit for nurses at Keele goes across a range of trusts such as University Hospitals of North Midlands (UHNM) and Midlands Partnership NHS Foundation Trust (MPFT) and other private healthcare settings so there’s a huge range of placements and locations available!

A lot of student nurses will live in the shared flats/houses in Horwood hall as they offer the 51 week occupancy contract!
I am a foreign student . What is the acceptance rate at Keele? And how is the scholarship options for us foreign students ?
Original post by Anonymous
Hi, I just wanted to ask what sort of things you start off learning in year 1 in theory, mainly what clinical skills do you approach first, and the sorts of tasks you mind find yourself doing on your first placement (I know this will vary depending on the placement environment)?

Also, how far in advance do you get timetables, especially timetable for shift patterns when on placement, just would be useful for me to know this as I’m looking into childcare. Many thanks! :smile:

Hi there!

The NMC have recently changed their standards for pre-registration nurses and as a result, the course content has changed drastically since I did my first year, so what I learnt on the old standard may not be what you learn on the new standards! You can find a little bit more about the course structure on the new standards here - https://www.keele.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/undergraduatecourses/adultnursing/#year-1

Some of the clinical skills we undertook in our first year (bare in mind that this may be different now) was personal care, bed making, manual blood pressures, observations, NG tube insertion/removal, intra muscular injections, subcutaneous injections, basic life support and manual handling with equipment such as hoists ect.

In terms of your timetable, usually your timetable is settled and sorted in the first week or two of commencing the course! Unfortunately with placements, you won’t tend to know your hours until nearer the start date of placement when you choose to go and visit your ward area. Some placements will give students there hours for the full placement at the start, some will do it week by week and some will do a couple of weeks each time. Obviously if you’re going into the community then you can generally assume that it’s monday-friday hours that you will be doing!

Does this help? If you have any more questions then please do ask! :smile:
I am a foreign student . What is the acceptance rate at Keele? And how is the scholarship options for us foreign students ?

Hi there!

Unfortunately, I am unsure about acceptance rates as I am not part of the admissions team.

However, in terms of scholarships for international students, there are a few options! There is the Keele international excellence scholarship that is available to undergraduate students. This scholarship is available for students who attain the highest grades in their pre-entry qualifications, regardless of household income. This award is £2,500 per year and can be combined with the developing countries scholarship which is available to both undergraduate and post graduate students. This scholarship is £1000 per year of study and is for those students who are nationals of the least developed, low and lower middle income countries.

You can find out more about the eligibility and exceptions of these scholarships here - https://www.keeleisc.com/programmes/international-scholarships

I hope this helps! If you have any more questions then please do ask :smile:
Hi there!

Unfortunately, I am unsure about acceptance rates as I am not part of the admissions team.

However, in terms of scholarships for international students, there are a few options! There is the Keele international excellence scholarship that is available to undergraduate students. This scholarship is available for students who attain the highest grades in their pre-entry qualifications, regardless of household income. This award is £2,500 per year and can be combined with the developing countries scholarship which is available to both undergraduate and post graduate students. This scholarship is £1000 per year of study and is for those students who are nationals of the least developed, low and lower middle income countries.

You can find out more about the eligibility and exceptions of these scholarships here - https://www.keeleisc.com/programmes/international-scholarships

I hope this helps! If you have any more questions then please do ask :smile:

Thank you so so much!!
Thank you so so much!!

Not a problem! I hope it was helpful :smile:
Reply 30
Hi!

It’s definitely not in the middle of no where but it can feel like it which I actually really like!

The placement circuit for nurses at Keele goes across a range of trusts such as University Hospitals of North Midlands (UHNM) and Midlands Partnership NHS Foundation Trust (MPFT) and other private healthcare settings so there’s a huge range of placements and locations available!

A lot of student nurses will live in the shared flats/houses in Horwood hall as they offer the 51 week occupancy contract!

but ive heard horwood is a bit ****
Original post by Aryz
but ive heard horwood is a bit ****

Holly Cross and the Oaks offer 51 week occupancy periods for the next academic year so that is another option! That accommodation is all en suited accommodation with a shared kitchen of 4 and dining room of 8.
Feel like I might be wasting your time asking this question cause everyone else is asking important questions but what is the car parking like? Does the uni have a car park and what's the cost? Is it easy to find a place?
I'm considering Keele as one of my choices and knowing my car parking options would help.
Reply 33
Original post by LouyLou
Feel like I might be wasting your time asking this question cause everyone else is asking important questions but what is the car parking like? Does the uni have a car park and what's the cost? Is it easy to find a place?
I'm considering Keele as one of my choices and knowing my car parking options would help.

check on the website because i heard one of the halls has a parking permit option
Reply 34
Original post by Aryz
check on the website because i heard one of the halls has a parking permit option

i found a link https://www.keele.ac.uk/connect/howtofindus/parking/studentparking/
Is the health foundation year at Keele integrated, in that you automatically are confirmed to be able to continue at Keele for your undergrad degree? Or must you re-apply after completing the foundation year?
Reply 37
Original post by rubytinker01
Is the health foundation year at Keele integrated, in that you automatically are confirmed to be able to continue at Keele for your undergrad degree? Or must you re-apply after completing the foundation year?

a guaranteed place it says here
https://www.keele.ac.uk/study/foundationyears/
Original post by rubytinker01

Hi there!

As long as you apply for it as an integrated course then yes, it guarantees automatic progression onto your chosen course as long as you have achieved the grades/marks required in the foundation year to progress. So for example, I applied for ‘Adult Nursing with a Health Foundation Year’ and not just Adult Nursing or a Foundation Year alone.
Original post by LouyLou

Hi there!

You’re not wasting anyone’s time. Parking was something I needed to know about to! Unfortunately, parking on campus is quite limited. Parking permits are awarded on a ‘who requires it most’ kind of basis. So for instance, people who commute from a distance ect. There are several pay and display car parks on campus, but they can get very full very quickly if you aren’t there to get a space early enough. You can find out more about parking on campus including tariffs here - https://www.keele.ac.uk/connect/howtofindus/parking/payanddisplay/

If you have any questions then please don’t hesitate to ask :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest