The Student Room Group
Chapel, Keele University
Keele University
Keele

Ask a current Keele University student!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Keele Student Ambassador
Hi there!

The NMC have recently changed their standards for pre-registration nurses and as a result, the course content has changed drastically since I did my first year, so what I learnt on the old standard may not be what you learn on the new standards! You can find a little bit more about the course structure on the new standards here - https://www.keele.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/undergraduatecourses/adultnursing/#year-1

Some of the clinical skills we undertook in our first year (bare in mind that this may be different now) was personal care, bed making, manual blood pressures, observations, NG tube insertion/removal, intra muscular injections, subcutaneous injections, basic life support and manual handling with equipment such as hoists ect.

In terms of your timetable, usually your timetable is settled and sorted in the first week or two of commencing the course! Unfortunately with placements, you won’t tend to know your hours until nearer the start date of placement when you choose to go and visit your ward area. Some placements will give students there hours for the full placement at the start, some will do it week by week and some will do a couple of weeks each time. Obviously if you’re going into the community then you can generally assume that it’s monday-friday hours that you will be doing!

Does this help? If you have any more questions then please do ask! :smile:

Thanks that’s really helpful! I also just wondered what sort of times you will be in on uni days? Am I right in thinking it’s about 3 days contact time and 2 days self directed study?

Thank you again :smile:
Chapel, Keele University
Keele University
Keele
Original post by Anonymous
Thanks that’s really helpful! I also just wondered what sort of times you will be in on uni days? Am I right in thinking it’s about 3 days contact time and 2 days self directed study?

Thank you again :smile:

Hi there! I’m glad you found it helpful :smile:

Generally that is the case yes where you are in university for 3 days (usually 9:15-15:20) but there sometimes will be exceptions to this is where you may even be in for 4 or 5 if you have assessments, personal tutor meeting, group work ect. Although it’s not often! However, things could have changed for next year about delivery of the content due to this covid-19 situation so please bare than in mind!

That’s not a problem, here to help :smile:
I have emailed accommodation a couple days ago about how long the helper can stay for when moving. Is it just the one hour slot they can stay on campus for?
Original post by Shannon190602
I have emailed accommodation a couple days ago about how long the helper can stay for when moving. Is it just the one hour slot they can stay on campus for?

Hi there!

I have recently contacted the accommodations team about this and they didn’t specify a specific time, just that it’s best for the helper to leave as soon as possible! :smile:

I hope this helps :smile:
Reply 44
Hi!

I had a question about the timetable for the Environmental Science course. Do you know how many contact hours there are in a week?
Original post by M_N_M
Hi!

I had a question about the timetable for the Environmental Science course. Do you know how many contact hours there are in a week?

Hi @M_N_M,

It's difficult to give an exact number of contact hours for each course as it will vary depending on which modules and electives that you take - and these may change for the 2021/22 academic year depending on staff availability and module feedback from this year!

On the course website, you can see the modules currently running in year one of the Environmental Science programme (https://www.keele.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/undergraduatecourses/environmentalscience/#year-one-modules). If you click on each of those, you'll be given an idea of how the module is taught and how many hours you're expected to spend in total on studying it (that will include time spent in independent study, as well as time in classes, tutorials & labs). Each module also has the study hours broken down into amount of guided study (lectures/seminars), tutorials, essay preparation etc - and you can see the timetable for the module as it is running for the current academic year.

So, for example, the core module Fundamentals of Physical Geography (https://www.keele.ac.uk/catalogue/current/esc-10039.htm) is worth 15 credits and has an expected total study time of 150 hours. That's broken down into roughly 90 hours of guided study (lectures/seminars), 25 hours independent research and essay preparation, 25 hours preparation of patchwork text components, and 10 hours scheduled Q&A meeting points. The module ran in Semester One of the 2020/21 academic year, with one-hour online sessions being held weekly on Fridays from 9-10. This was supplemented by pre-recorded lecture material for the students in the current academic year - and they were expected to spend around 4.5 hours preparing for and watching each lecture. You usually study 3-4 modules per semester.

Obviously course structures and timetabled hours might change quite a bit between the current academic year and next year - hopefully we'll be back to in-person teaching in the 2021/22 academic year, whereas at the moment most of our students are being taught using a mixture of online synchronous classes and pre-recorded asynchronous lecture material. But looking at the module details should give you some idea of how much time you'll spend in classes for each module.

You can also chat with Phoebe - one of our current Environmental Sustainability students - on Unibuddy, who can tell you more about the course and about how much time she spends in classes, labs and tutorials. Phoebe's profile is available at: https://api.unibuddy.co/og/keele-university/buddies/students/5eea25faac7d8d09c01e9c2b?buddyPosition=share. Phoebe is currently in her third year so her first year would have been back in the 'before' times with in-person classes and labs - I'm sure she'd be happy to share her own first year experiences and tell you more about how her timetable looked!

Hope that helps!

Amy Louise :smile:
Reply 46
Hi, cannot come to see rooms at the moment. Can you recommend any accommodation. Could do with room with reasonable sized desk. Hope to study medicinethank you
Original post by HPoddy
Hi, cannot come to see rooms at the moment. Can you recommend any accommodation. Could do with room with reasonable sized desk. Hope to study medicinethank you

Hi @HPoddy!

There is a short video on our website that gives you an overview of the accommodation at Keele, as well as a glimpse at some of the interiors of the halls (https://www.keele.ac.uk/discover/accommodation/).

As you're studying medicine, Barnes will be the closest accommodation to your main teaching building (David Weatherall). Barnes contains a range of modern en-suite rooms as well as more traditional shared housing. That said, all of our on-campus accommodation is relatively close to the main buildings so if you live on campus you're unlikely to be more than 10 minutes walk from any of the main services or teaching buildings. All of our rooms are fully equipped with bed, noticeboard, wardrobe, desk, shelves and WiFi internet access - floors are carpeted and there will be a blind or curtains on the window.

If you want to know more about the accommodation, you might find it useful to attend our next Virtual Offer Holder Day on 27 March. We run accommodation tours as part of these events so you'll get to see the interior of the halls being shown and hear about them from a current student who has lived there. You can sign up at https://www.keele.ac.uk/discover/opendays/offerholderdays/.

I've not lived on campus myself but I'm tagging @Keele Student Ambassador1 who can tell you more about their experience of living in Keele accommodation also.

Hey! I’m just wondering if you have a round about idea how the timetable is for adult nursing, start times finish times etc.. I start my first year in September! I’m so looking forward to it but so nervous and just want to make sure my childcare is in order. Thank you xx
Hi! My question is, when did you hear from the university before you started? Did you get any kind of registration packs etc?
Original post by abicadabra
Hi! My question is, when did you hear from the university before you started? Did you get any kind of registration packs etc?

Hi @abicadabra,

When I registered for my MA and PhD, most information was provided to me at registration/enrolment (i.e. when I actually arrived on campus and enrolled) however the process might be slightly different for undergraduates - and for those living on campus. I've emailed the admissions team to ask the question, and will get back to you once I have their response!

Original post by Keele Postgraduate
Hi @abicadabra,

When I registered for my MA and PhD, most information was provided to me at registration/enrolment (i.e. when I actually arrived on campus and enrolled) however the process might be slightly different for undergraduates - and for those living on campus. I've emailed the admissions team to ask the question, and will get back to you once I have their response!

thank you so much!! 😁x
Original post by abicadabra

Hi @abicadabra!

I've heard back from the admissions team and they've advised that pre-enrolment information normally starts to be sent our via email anytime from approximately 4 weeks before a course starts. This will include info on enrolling, IT account etc.

Hope that helps!

Hi @abicadabra!

I've heard back from the admissions team and they've advised that pre-enrolment information normally starts to be sent our via email anytime from approximately 4 weeks before a course starts. This will include info on enrolling, IT account etc.

Hope that helps!

Brilliant!! Thank you so much, that’s so helpful x
Hi, I have applied for a foundation year (physics
and astrophysics), and I'm not completely sure
about the entry requirements. It stated that l
should get a total of 56 UCAS points (or an A*)
from at least 1 A level subject. Does it mean that l must get an A* in one subject despite me doing
three? Or is it if you only do one A level subject, it has to be an A*? For instance would I pass if I got BBB (which surpasses 56 UCAS points in total)? I hope l worded this right
Hi, I have applied for a foundation year (physics
and astrophysics), and I'm not completely sure
about the entry requirements. It stated that l
should get a total of 56 UCAS points (or an A*)
from at least 1 A level subject. Does it mean that l must get an A* in one subject despite me doing
three? Or is it if you only do one A level subject, it has to be an A*? For instance would I pass if I got BBB (which surpasses 56 UCAS points in total)? I hope l worded this right

The wording on this is a little tricky so I'd recommend contacting the admissions team at Keele to confirm - it's best to be on the safe side and double check when it comes to confirming what your offer is and what you need to achieve! You can contact the admissions team on Unibuddy at https://api.unibuddy.co/og/keele-university/buddies/staff/5f340385d825c3049e39d3de or via email [email protected].

The wording on this is a little tricky so I'd recommend contacting the admissions team at Keele to confirm - it's best to be on the safe side and double check when it comes to confirming what your offer is and what you need to achieve! You can contact the admissions team on Unibuddy at https://api.unibuddy.co/og/keele-university/buddies/staff/5f340385d825c3049e39d3de or via email [email protected].

Thank you!!!
Hi!

I am a student at Keele University in my 2nd year of Adult Nursing.

I am also a Student Ambassador for the university so I thought it might be a nice idea to set up this thread so people can ask questions easily! :smile:

So, fire away!

Hey 👋

I'm wondering at what point do they start to look at and offer interviews/send out rejection for midwifery if anybody knows based on their experience?

I applied independently as soon as ucas opened on 7th Sept and heard nothing since not even a automated response to say they have received *keele* ucas gas emailed to say its been forwarded to them.

So nervous 😓
Hi! I was just wondering, does Keele uses cadavers to study anatomy?
Hi! I was just wondering, does Keele uses cadavers to study anatomy?

Good question! To be honest, I'm not 100% sure (I'm in the School of Humanities rather than the School of Medicine) however you could email the anatomy team to ask on [email protected], or live chat with one of our current medical students about their experiences.

Bassant is in the fourth year of his Medicine MBChB course and you can chat to him via Unibuddy at https://api.unibuddy.co/og/keele-university/buddies/students/5f16f7eb2fe2fc012d01a4cd?buddyPosition=share. We also have Beth, one of our Forensic Science BSc (Hons) students, available to chat with https://api.unibuddy.co/og/keele-university/buddies/students/5e7b84002f05a0076a5bedfb?buddyPosition=share.

Quick Reply

Latest