University of Buckingham
University of Buckingham
Buckingham
Visit website

Ask a Buckingham University Student!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Ripper Phoenix
Hello,
I am a recently graduated doctor from the University of Buckingham. Feel free to ask questions about medicine or even about the university life in Bucks in general. If you have questions about other courses at Buckingham, I can put you in touch with people studying those courses :smile:

Hi! Im planning to apply to Buckingham uni as an International student for the 4.5 year undergraduate medicine programme. I have a couple of questions though and would really like honest answers from the universities graduates! :smile:
1. Is the universities teaching up to a good standard compared to other medical schools in the UK such as Manchester, Southampton, etc? As well as this is the structure of teaching good overall
2. After graduation, if you're applying to jobs and all would the graduates have an equal opportunity as the other graduates from other medical schools?
3. Does the uni help out with seeking jobs in the future upon graduation?
4. Do people look down on you if you say that you went to uni at Buckingham? (This is a really weird question yes but my family really wants to ensure that whatever uni I pick is up to a good standard and that I don't waste all that money - so much pressure!)

Thank you so much in advance!!! - a very lost future medical applicant
University of Buckingham
University of Buckingham
Buckingham
Visit website
Hello,
I am a recently graduated doctor from the University of Buckingham. Feel free to ask questions about medicine or even about the university life in Bucks in general. If you have questions about other courses at Buckingham, I can put you in touch with people studying those courses :smile:

Hi! Im planning to apply to Buckingham uni as an International student for the 4.5 year undergraduate medicine programme. I have a couple of questions though and would really like honest answers from the universities graduates!
1. Is the universities teaching up to a good standard compared to other medical schools in the UK such as Manchester, Southampton, etc? As well as this is the structure of teaching good overall
2. After graduation, if you're applying to jobs and all would the graduates have an equal opportunity as the other graduates from other medical schools?
4. Do people look down on you if you say that you went to uni at Buckingham? (This is a really weird question yes but my family really wants to ensure that whatever uni I pick is up to a good standard and that I don't waste all that money - so much pressure!)

Thank you so much in advance!!!
Original post by catherineshubby
Hi! Im planning to apply to Buckingham uni as an International student for the 4.5 year undergraduate medicine programme. I have a couple of questions though and would really like honest answers from the universities graduates!

Thank you so much in advance!!!

Hey, thanks for your message. Before I go into answering your questions, you need to understand the healthcare system in the UK and I'll just touch briefly on how medical schools work to contribute doctors to the NHS after medical school. The statement that is reiterated throughout TSR and and everywhere else is that medicine is taught the same at all medical schools in the UK. I mean if they didn't, the GMC which is the General Medical Council- the regulatory body of medical schools and responsible for licensing doctors in the UK, would not allow it to operate. And this makes sense, because with their permission these medical schools run and are assessed constantly to ensure they are delivering high quality education. That being said, i hope it answers your first question

2) At any medical university in the UK, once you complete the MBChB or MBBS course, you will apply for a foundation year 1 doctor job which will allow you to commence your clinical training (what they call being a real doctor!) at an assigned hospital.
The passing rate is pretty good and the university has stringent measures along the course to pick up students that might need some extra support early on.
You apply for FY1 jobs in your final year at medical school and 43% comes from your medical school performance (the other 7% from previous degrees, publications etc) and the other 50% from the situational judgement test which is a national exam. You are then ranked nationally and are given the opportunity to apply for a hospital and job of choice. So yes, there is equal opportunity determined based on your overall performance taking into the account the above and this is how all medical schools do it. It is a standardised national process.

3) I presume number 2 will cover the answer to this

4) So this is a really interesting question and if you had asked me this when I joined 5 years ago as the second cohort, my answer might have been 'perhaps'. But now, given the fact that 2 cohorts have graduated, the excellent teaching system at Bucks (we won the The Times and The Sunday Times Good University Guide 2018 teaching quality award three times in a row- https://www.buckingham.ac.uk/news/university-of-buckingham-tops-rankings-for-the-third-year-running-in-teaching-quality/) and the amazing student support, people are beginning to see the quality of doctors Bucks produces. Their focus is so much on communication, empathy and all these other important things which can be forgotten at other medical schools. That being said, the course is adapted from Leicester university which utilises a lecture and pbl teaching style. A lot of the graduates end up getting the jobs of their choice in their top hospital choices so that's what really matters. So the honest answer is no, people dont look down on Buckingham doctors.

I hope this helps and all the best!
Hey, thanks for your message. Before I go into answering your questions, you need to understand the healthcare system in the UK and I'll just touch briefly on how medical schools work to contribute doctors to the NHS after medical school. The statement that is reiterated throughout TSR and and everywhere else is that medicine is taught the same at all medical schools in the UK. I mean if they didn't, the GMC which is the General Medical Council- the regulatory body of medical schools and responsible for licensing doctors in the UK, would not allow it to operate. And this makes sense, because with their permission these medical schools run and are assessed constantly to ensure they are delivering high quality education. That being said, i hope it answers your first question

2) At any medical university in the UK, once you complete the MBChB or MBBS course, you will apply for a foundation year 1 doctor job which will allow you to commence your clinical training (what they call being a real doctor!) at an assigned hospital.
The passing rate is pretty good and the university has stringent measures along the course to pick up students that might need some extra support early on.
You apply for FY1 jobs in your final year at medical school and 43% comes from your medical school performance (the other 7% from previous degrees, publications etc) and the other 50% from the situational judgement test which is a national exam. You are then ranked nationally and are given the opportunity to apply for a hospital and job of choice. So yes, there is equal opportunity determined based on your overall performance taking into the account the above and this is how all medical schools do it. It is a standardised national process.

3) I presume number 2 will cover the answer to this

4) So this is a really interesting question and if you had asked me this when I joined 5 years ago as the second cohort, my answer might have been 'perhaps'. But now, given the fact that 2 cohorts have graduated, the excellent teaching system at Bucks (we won the The Times and The Sunday Times Good University Guide 2018 teaching quality award three times in a row- https://www.buckingham.ac.uk/news/university-of-buckingham-tops-rankings-for-the-third-year-running-in-teaching-quality/) and the amazing student support, people are beginning to see the quality of doctors Bucks produces. Their focus is so much on communication, empathy and all these other important things which can be forgotten at other medical schools. That being said, the course is adapted from Leicester university which utilises a lecture and pbl teaching style. A lot of the graduates end up getting the jobs of their choice in their top hospital choices so that's what really matters. So the honest answer is no, people dont look down on Buckingham doctors.

I hope this helps and all the best!

Thank you so much!!!!!! :smile:
Hi, for international students I am not sure if we are allowed to stay an extra year after FY2. The thing is, FY1 and FY2 are sponsored by Health education england. She will need to either enter speciality training after FY2 directly (easier if she wants to do a less competitive speciality such as GP for instance, as she will get in the first time round) or she will need to travel back to her home country and then decide her next move. Successful completion of FY1 in the UK grants her registration with the general medical council. Also do bear in mind that international graduates on a visa might be allowed to stay for FY3 depending on immigration regulations.

Students who take out FY3 years are those who either want a break from training. They use this time to travel, work extra locum shifts to make extra money, some get into research to build their porfolio for speciality applications but as far as I know, there is pressure for international graduates to start thinking about speciality portfolios slightly earlier so that they can successfully get into a specilaity training post directly after fy2 because FY3 is not something international grads have access to. She needs to have worked and paid tax in the UK for a certain number of years in order to get a british residency. This info can be found on the GOV.UK website.

The total cost would be 37500 x4 + 18750 (for the last half year) total 168750 GBP for tuition costs.
Depending on what resources she will use the books vary but Bucks has an excellent selection of medical books in their library so she will have access to all those. I am a visual learner so youtube channels did excellent jobs for me with online question banks and free flashcards.
Accommodation is offered by the uni at different locations with variable rates. These are available on the website here https://www.buckingham.ac.uk/life/accommodation/livingon/costis

The other living expenses are food, travel costs, monthly budget, parties. It all depends on her lifestyle really.
I hope this information helps and wish your daughter all the best in her application :smile:

Thanks for your reply. Kindly provide your advice-
1. We have got an MMI interview to held on Aug for Bucks.
2. As a backup for UK medical we have got offer from First faculty of Medicine, Charles University.
As you are aware about the present economic crisis we are worried about our decision on Bucks. As my daughter wants to pursue her medicine career in country like UK or Canada. we are having a tough decision in choosing the uni. If we go for charles university we can save money and have less commitment in paying tuition fees whereas in buck we have to spend all of our savings.
What is the difference in studying in bucks vs Charles university. What will happen after graduating from charles and she wants to start her medical career in UK or Canada? Thanks.
Original post by Anonymous
Thanks for your reply. Kindly provide your advice-
1. We have got an MMI interview to held on Aug for Bucks.
2. As a backup for UK medical we have got offer from First faculty of Medicine, Charles University.
As you are aware about the present economic crisis we are worried about our decision on Bucks. As my daughter wants to pursue her medicine career in country like UK or Canada. we are having a tough decision in choosing the uni. If we go for charles university we can save money and have less commitment in paying tuition fees whereas in buck we have to spend all of our savings.
What is the difference in studying in bucks vs Charles university. What will happen after graduating from charles and she wants to start her medical career in UK or Canada? Thanks.

Hi, okay so from what I gather, the decision is between Charles and Bucks. Unfortunately I am not familiar with Charles and the structure of their course but Europe is definitely quite a popular choice amongst prospective medical students who first try the UK medical school application process. What I do know after checking out their website is:
1) the fees are definitely cheaper
2) the university is on the list for world directory of medical schools which allows students to apply for residency in the US/Canada after USMLE. (as is Bucks since the first cohort successfully graduated last year)
3) Charles will require her to sit for an entrance exam

Yes with Bucks, especially for home students, the fees will be an important factor to consider as the fees for medical students at most other UK universities is significantly less (for international students it is the same across the UK and in the USA can be more).

If she graduates from Charles, she will need to sit the PLAB exam to be able to work in the UK and enter the foundation training (this is from what I have researched online- please clarify this with the university directly). If she graduates from Charles or Bucks- she will need to sit the USMLE exam to apply for residency in the USA. For Canada they have a different application process and she will need to apply for PR before applying for residency there (presuming she is not Canadian)

The other option not mentioned is her taking a gap year and reapplying through UCAS to other medical schools in the UK this October (for next year start). This will probably not hit your savings too hard and she can be close to home (if you reside within the UK). Gap years seem long and daunting but time flies by and she can use this time to build her CV to make her application to medical school more successful.

I hope this helps :smile:
Hi, okay so from what I gather, the decision is between Charles and Bucks. Unfortunately I am not familiar with Charles and the structure of their course but Europe is definitely quite a popular choice amongst prospective medical students who first try the UK medical school application process. What I do know after checking out their website is:
1) the fees are definitely cheaper
2) the university is on the list for world directory of medical schools which allows students to apply for residency in the US/Canada after USMLE. (as is Bucks since the first cohort successfully graduated last year)
3) Charles will require her to sit for an entrance exam

Yes with Bucks, especially for home students, the fees will be an important factor to consider as the fees for medical students at most other UK universities is significantly less (for international students it is the same across the UK and in the USA can be more).

If she graduates from Charles, she will need to sit the PLAB exam to be able to work in the UK and enter the foundation training (this is from what I have researched online- please clarify this with the university directly). If she graduates from Charles or Bucks- she will need to sit the USMLE exam to apply for residency in the USA. For Canada they have a different application process and she will need to apply for PR before applying for residency there (presuming she is not Canadian)

The other option not mentioned is her taking a gap year and reapplying through UCAS to other medical schools in the UK this October (for next year start). This will probably not hit your savings too hard and she can be close to home (if you reside within the UK). Gap years seem long and daunting but time flies by and she can use this time to build her CV to make her application to medical school more successful.

I hope this helps :smile:

Thanks for your prompt reply. For your info my daughter is an international student from India and middle east resident, 2020 applicant.
Considering value for money and career- Is it worth to take an offer from bucks and try to pursue her medical career in UK or study in charles and after graduating try then to work in UK or Canada. What should be my correct decision.Hope you understand my situation as a father.
Thanks.
Thanks for your prompt reply. For your info my daughter is an international student from India and middle east resident, 2020 applicant.
Considering value for money and career- Is it worth to take an offer from bucks and try to pursue her medical career in UK or study in charles and after graduating try then to work in UK or Canada. What should be my correct decision.Hope you understand my situation as a father.
Thanks.

Hello,
I totally understand where you're coming from. Unfortunately, I am unable to comment on Charles because I don't know of anyone who went there and it would be totally unfair to say 'Yes go for bucks!' without full knowledge of the comparison.

What I can recommend is that you create a thread on here or search for an existing Charles university thread to ask current students or graduates on the course structure and how they found it. Then you can compare what they say with all the messages on this thread.

From what I also know, there are people who have sat the PLAB exam after studying medicine abroad in order to work in the UK and have done so with ease. The exam is definitely manageable with decent work put in.

What does your daughter think? Does she have a preference? Maybe best to sit down with her and check out both university websites and compare the course structure, lifestyle? is the course at charles completely in english? does she requrie to learn the local language in order to communicate with patients? does she prefer lecture based learning? pbl? cbl? After all its quite a long course and its important to make this decision with all the info at hand :smile:
Hello,

Hello
Was it super competitive to get an interview for medicine, and was the interview difficult? any tips?
Also how does it work for international students after graduation - like how long do you have to work for before you can specialize?
Hello
Was it super competitive to get an interview for medicine, and was the interview difficult? any tips?
Also how does it work for international students after graduation - like how long do you have to work for before you can specialize?

Hi, I imagine that getting a medical school interview is known to be competitive. When bucks opened its doors in 2015, it saw over 500 applications with them eventually taking only about 75 students. As the years have gone by the numbers have steadily increased but bucks also has a system where they prefer to interview a fair number of students to gain an insight into their actual personality rather than just assess their application based off the grades written on a paper and the personal statement/ukcat. Once the interview is over, if they find your performance satisfactory, the begin to issue out offers as will all medical schools.
The interview was super relaxed and the assessors were really keen to listen rather than interrupt me (as I found in my 3 other medical school interviews). They cared a lot about empathy, professionalism, communication- all the key skills that make the doctor a human as opposed to an emotionless textbook. This is why I chose buckingham in addition to their good staff:student ratio and teaching quality.
It doesnt matter for international students- once you graduate from a UK university, you will be applying through the UK foundation programme as with all other UK med schools and are assessed on a national level after which jobs are allocated based on preference and scores. Please see my previous posts on how the jobs process works after med school. You need to do FY1 FY2 then apply for speciality training
Hello!
I got an invitation for the interview and I was wondering which resources I could use to prepare? This is the very first interview I got so I'm a bit nervous, I really want to get into Bucks!
Hello!
I got an invitation for the interview and I was wondering which resources I could use to prepare? This is the very first interview I got so I'm a bit nervous, I really want to get into Bucks!

hey. For my interviews, i used this book https://www.amazon.co.uk/Medical-Interviews-Questions-Analysed-Multiple-Mini-Interviews/dp/1905812051

Another extremely useful website is youtube- check out medical school interviews and look at the scenarios they have to offer. Key thing is to know what kind of questions they may ask- not saying this is bucks but saying generally for UK medical schools (why medicine?, why you over the other hundreds of candidates?). Theres lots of websites on the internet that have tips for medical school interviews which can be found by a simple google search too :smile:

Also if you have mates who got into med school ask them. Try not to prepare essay answers before interviews, think of a few points to the common questions before hand and then put them together when asked. It comes across more natural i'd say and you'll be less stressed on the day.

To reiterate what I've always said, as with any interviews, be on time, dress professionally, communicate clearly, demonstrate empathy, show them you can be a good team player (if asked). In short, close your eyes and think that if you ever became a patient (god forbid) and needed a doctor- what would the ideal doctor in your head be like? what qualities should he/she have? Prove to them you can be this and better :smile:

All the best!
how soon after graduating do you get to work as a fy1 doctor
like around what time of the year is graduation ?
and how soon can you start with postgrad after the year of being a fy2 doctor

is the degree recognized internationally & do you get to apply elsewhere for postgrad like america/aussie
Hello!

I would like to study at Buckingham University for medicine but as I am from a low-income background, I am struggling financially. I can see from the university website that the tuition fees for the course is £37,500/year which I feel is way too expensive for me. I have applied for student finance but this will not be enough to cover the fees.I have checked future finance but I can see that this will also not cover the costs fully either. I would be very grateful if you could kindly provide me some advice on how to pay for the fees and how to cope financially.

Thank you :smile:
how soon after graduating do you get to work as a fy1 doctor
like around what time of the year is graduation ?
and how soon can you start with postgrad after the year of being a fy2 doctor

is the degree recognized internationally & do you get to apply elsewhere for postgrad like america/aussie

Hello
1) You graduate and start work when everyone else starts (in August when all doctors enter the training programme)
2) June usually
3) You have to apply and are assessed on a national standard against everyone for the speciality you apply for. If you do well (interview and application) you are permitted to a training post
4) the degree is recognized internationally as with all UK medical schools but to work in other countries you are required to sit their local exams such as USMLE for the USA etc.
Hello!

I would like to study at Buckingham University for medicine but as I am from a low-income background, I am struggling financially. I can see from the university website that the tuition fees for the course is £37,500/year which I feel is way too expensive for me. I have applied for student finance but this will not be enough to cover the fees.I have checked future finance but I can see that this will also not cover the costs fully either. I would be very grateful if you could kindly provide me some advice on how to pay for the fees and how to cope financially.

Thank you :smile:

Hello, I am terribly sorry but cannot offer any financial advise. As mentioned previously, I had a colleague who managed via student finance, some parents help and working on weekends by tutoring GCSE/A level students. I would suggest approaching a financial advisor or maybe even Buckingham directly to ask them how the fees cost could be covered. I found this on their page, I hope it offers some useful information: https://www.buckingham.ac.uk/admissions/scholarships-and-external-funding/

Alternatively, assuming you are a British citizen, you could apply to other UK universities for medicine as the fees are lower (same for internationals at any UK medical school).
(edited 3 years ago)
Hi, I read the Buckingham website and saw that they've included that they have no cap in international student places? What exactly do they mean - is it just as competitive as the other UK med schools to get into Bucks as International student?
What's the teaching style of Buckingham Medical School? eg PBL?
Hi, I read the Buckingham website and saw that they've included that they have no cap in international student places? What exactly do they mean - is it just as competitive as the other UK med schools to get into Bucks as International student?

Hi, No cap basically means that the university does not have restriction on the number of international applicants it can accept. Compared to other UK medical schools which have a cap of say 10% (figuratively) of their yearly medical admissions intake is international students. Medicine is known to be competitive all over the UK so I presume it is just as competitive as other medical schools

What's the teaching style of Buckingham Medical School? eg PBL?

The teaching style is lecture and case based learning. After lectures, there is groupwork on the topics covered in the lectures (with lots of case based questions) to work through to consolidate learning. I've replied previously to posts which ask about the style of learning, please see previous posts on this thread
Hello. As an international student in the UK, what do you exactly have to do and how long does it take to become a fully specialized doctor. I understand that after the MB ChB (typically 5/6 years in other medical schools, 4.5 at Bucks) there's FY1 and FY2 (total of 2 years). What happens next? I don't really understand the terms residency, fellowship, speciality training etc. nor the durations. Suppose a student wants to become a neurosurgeon/plastic surgeon/ cardiothoracic surgeon, how long will it take and what are the steps to get there?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending