The Student Room Group

Do I have a chance of getting into medicine

I have 3 A*s predicted and recently got an A in AS Further maths.
I will mostly likely keep my fourth subject.
I recently did my UCAT with 4 days of preparation (extreme procrastination) and got 2430 (607)
I have loads of work experience, voluntary work, and extra curriculars (a pretty strong personal statement and really good references)
I have 6 CIE IGCSE Exams with grades 9s and 8s
Since I am applying as an International student,
I can apply privately to 4 institutions which accept direct applications.
(All are UCAT) and 4 unis which require a BMAT through UCAS.
Considering I have more time to prepare for the BMAT, is there any chance of getting atleast 1 interview?
(edited 7 months ago)
Reply 1
Your UCAT is very weak compared to other international students, so I would definitely recommend you go ahead with the BMAT. Your current academic & extracurricular stats are very good, and assuming you preform well in your BMAT you defo have a shot at being invited for an interview at any BMAT uni such as Oxford, UCL, Imperial, Cambridge, etc
Reply 2
Thanks,
I am also considering Aston university as they put more emphasis on grades and personal statement compared to the UCAT.
My current choices are
Aston
Buckingham
Queen Mary QMUL
and UCLAN (all are UCAT)
Im just doing this to be safe.
Am I on the right track?
Original post by Hibblin
I recently did my UCAT with 4 days of preparation (extreme procrastination) and got 2430 (607)
I have loads of work experience, voluntary work, and extra curriculars (a pretty strong personal statement and really good references)
Considering I have more time to prepare for the BMAT, is there any chance of getting atleast 1 interview?

With those qualifications you'll likely get to interview. My daughter got 3 A's and 1 A* at A'level. She got 11 GCSEs grade A* and she got an interview with Cardiff. But that was the only one and she got in
Reply 4
Hi,
Thanks for replying,
How were her UCAT Scores becuase mine are pretty low (607)
Original post by Hibblin
Hi,
Thanks for replying,
How were her UCAT Scores becuase mine are pretty low (607)

your UCAT is very low and that will put you at a great disadvantage as most international students have high UCAT scores (why on earth did you only spend 4 days?) take this as a lesson and do the BMAT but actually REVISE for it properly
Reply 6
Considering all this,
I will assume there is no point in applying to UCAT universities as most will end up rejecting me. So I think I will just apply to all BMAT universities now.
(edited 7 months ago)
Original post by Hibblin

Hey! Consider Brunel university too! They have a direct private application that you can apply to . If not UK check out ireland, they have good unis as well and only require Grades , not admission tests. Additionally, I am an international student as well, do you mind sharing the four other universities that take students in via private applications?
Reply 8
Original post by B7861
your UCAT is very low and that will put you at a great disadvantage as most international students have high UCAT scores (why on earth did you only spend 4 days?) take this as a lesson and do the BMAT but actually REVISE for it properly

There's some medical schools that accept international students only and they typically have extremely low UCAT requirements
Reply 9
Original post by Harshichocolate
Hey! Consider Brunel university too! They have a direct private application that you can apply to . If not UK check out ireland, they have good unis as well and only require Grades , not admission tests. Additionally, I am an international student as well, do you mind sharing the four other universities that take students in via private applications?

Buckingham
Queen Mary QMUL
and UCLAN
Reply 10
Original post by Hibblin
Thanks,
I am also considering Aston university as they put more emphasis on grades and personal statement compared to the UCAT.
My current choices are
Aston
Buckingham
Queen Mary QMUL
and UCLAN (all are UCAT)
Im just doing this to be safe.
Am I on the right track?

keele too

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending