The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by Drewski
If you join the RAF you'll be in Lincolnshire for at least a year guaranteed.

The qualifications you can get are basically the same, you'll still work towards chartered engineer in the RAF, you'll have the same opportunities to develop.

But yes, you're predominantly going to be in large flat places for fairly obvious reasons.

Tbh, wanting to stay in the same place for the foreseeable future isn't really an attitude you'll find all that handy in the Forces, especially if you're ambitious. You can and will be moving around a lot. Even in the Army you'll find it a struggle to stay in one area.

Yeah I’m aware training etc will in Lincolnshire. I just thought that there was a perception that many RAF engineer officers are based there throughout there career.

In terms of qualifications, I’ve heard that the qualifications earned in the Army are quicker to gain and more varied. Where as RAF I can’t find much on what qualifications you can gain?

Also it seems like work as REME officer or Royal Engineer officer has a lot more variety in there work compared to being an aero systems engineer officer which is what I would do if I went into the RAF
Reply 21
Original post by Kerzen
Do you have a place at Uni, Jamal?

Yes for mechanical engineering starting this September
Reply 22
Original post by JamalH
Yes for mechanical engineering starting this September

With sponsorship? Where are you going to?
Original post by JamalH
Yeah I’m aware training etc will in Lincolnshire. I just thought that there was a perception that many RAF engineer officers are based there throughout there career.

In terms of qualifications, I’ve heard that the qualifications earned in the Army are quicker to gain and more varied. Where as RAF I can’t find much on what qualifications you can gain?

Also it seems like work as REME officer or Royal Engineer officer has a lot more variety in there work compared to being an aero systems engineer officer which is what I would do if I went into the RAF

Hi

Have you read the info on the AS Eng Officer role page thoroughly? There's opportunity to go for a Masters, but also other courses you could do, there's a varied selection, especially if it's required for your role during your career.

And you're still thinking that you'll only ever be based in Lincolnshire. If you're on the multi-engine or rotary fleet you're unlikely to be anywhere much further north of Oxford.

If you are serious and want to discuss your RAF options in detail then drop me a PM and I'll give you contact details for the Engineering Liaison team.

Kind regards
Adam
RAF Recruitment.
Original post by JamalH

Why? Sure there's a slightly higher proportion of bases there, but of the main operating bases in the RAF, all but 3 are in the South of England. It's not a perception I share.

Possibly faster, but the Army is also slightly more geared up for being in only a short period of time, whereas people generally tend to make more of a career of the RAF and RN. Is that because they look after people better? Maybe.

Well yes, by pure definition, given the breadth of activities the Army get involved in.

It more comes down to what appeals to you about engineering and what you actually want to do with your degree.
Reply 25
Original post by Kerzen
With sponsorship? Where are you going to?

Yes hopefully, I've passed my RAF filter interview just awaiting medical and fitness then will attend OASC. However, I have also got my Army application going too at the moment and am unsure between these 2 at the moment.

I will be going to University of Portsmouth
Reply 26
Original post by Drewski
Why? Sure there's a slightly higher proportion of bases there, but of the main operating bases in the RAF, all but 3 are in the South of England. It's not a perception I share.

Possibly faster, but the Army is also slightly more geared up for being in only a short period of time, whereas people generally tend to make more of a career of the RAF and RN. Is that because they look after people better? Maybe.

Well yes, by pure definition, given the breadth of activities the Army get involved in.

It more comes down to what appeals to you about engineering and what you actually want to do with your degree.

Personally the RAF life-style appeals to me more and having wanted to go into aerospace engineering in the past, working as an aerosystems engineer officer would fit quite well. However since looking into the Army like I said there's just more breadth of activities they get involved with, as I would hope to use my qualifications and experience received from the military in a engineering/management role in a civilian job after a while. I don't intend to stay in the military forever.
Reply 27
Original post by RAF_Adam
Hi

Have you read the info on the AS Eng Officer role page thoroughly? There's opportunity to go for a Masters, but also other courses you could do, there's a varied selection, especially if it's required for your role during your career.

And you're still thinking that you'll only ever be based in Lincolnshire. If you're on the multi-engine or rotary fleet you're unlikely to be anywhere much further north of Oxford.

If you are serious and want to discuss your RAF options in detail then drop me a PM and I'll give you contact details for the Engineering Liaison team.

Kind regards
Adam
RAF Recruitment.

I will read more into the page, maybe I just haven't researched into the Eng Officer for RAF as much as I have for the Army.

Around the doubt of being based in Lincolnshire all the time, you've put my mind at ease and I don't think it would be a problem anymore as you said its unlikely to be based there the whole time.

I am currently in the application process and have passed my filter interview awaiting medical and fitness then OASC. What sort of information could I get off the Engineering Liaison team? Thanks again.
Reply 28
Original post by JamesHou

I will be going to University of Portsmouth

It's a shame that you didn't look at Engineer Officer with the Royal Navy, then, if you are going to be in Portsmouth anyway.

You seem to have a lot of irons in the fire already with live applications to both the Army and the RAF; I've given you the links to the three RN Engineer Officer roles already, so I will just add a link to HMS King Alfred in Portsmouth; hopefully, things will work out with either the Army or the RAF, but, if not, there will be Reservist opportunities in Portsmouth.

https://www.royalnavy.mod.uk/kingalfred
Reply 29
Original post by Kerzen
It's a shame that you didn't look at Engineer Officer with the Royal Navy, then, if you are going to be in Portsmouth anyway.

You seem to have a lot of irons in the fire already with live applications to both the Army and the RAF; I've given you the links to the three RN Engineer Officer roles already, so I will just add a link to HMS King Alfred in Portsmouth; hopefully, things will work out with either the Army or the RAF, but, if not, there will be Reservist opportunities in Portsmouth.

https://www.royalnavy.mod.uk/kingalfred

Not sure why but Royal Navy has just never really interested me in terms of engineering. Army or the RAF is the ones I’m hoping for.

Thank you for the help though, I do appreciate it
Reply 30
Where as RAF qualifications are obviously usually based around aeronautical engineering.

To clarify for any other readers: there are 2 branches of Engineer Officer in the RAF, Aerosystems and Communications Electronics; the latter is based around computing and science qualifications for entry. However, in any role you will have the opportunity to gain other qualifications and experience.
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 31
Sorry should’ve specified my version, but I’m most likely to be stationed Midlands/North. For example I wouldn’t really want to be in Lincolnshire but many bases are based here already which is why I was looking into the army more so. Plus qualifications you gain seem more likely in the army compared to RAF.

As an RAF AS Engineer Officer I never did a tour in the Midlands or Lincolnshire, but did do tours in the East and North of England, Scotland, and South of England (three).

Whilst you can state a preference for posting, the Armed Forces will consider service need and career development and send you where required; you may not get a geographic area that you want. The REME has plenty of units in the 'North' so there's fair chance you could end up working there!
Original post by RAF_Adam
You may need to re-evaluate your version of 'the North' ;-)

Is it 'anywhere North of the Watford Gap'? :laugh:
Original post by Surnia
As an RAF AS Engineer Officer I never did a tour in the Midlands or Lincolnshire, but did do tours in the East and North of England, Scotland, and South of England (three).

I'd wager a few of those are closed (or at least non-flying) now though!
Reply 34
Original post by Surnia

Whilst you can state a preference for posting, the Armed Forces will consider service need and career development and send you where required; you may not get a geographic area that you want. The REME has plenty of units in the 'North' so there's fair chance you could end up working there!

Are you still currently an AS engineer officer? This is the specific branch I would want to go in and to speak to someone who is actually within the job role may help with my questions.
Reply 35
Original post by Kerzen
How old are you, Jamal?

Something that I know and have loved. . A post in any organisation would however intrest me thank you

Latest