The Student Room Group

How much work per week per A level?

How much time would people say you have to put in each week for each A level to get very good marks? My college recommend 2-4 hours per week (bearing in mind I'm doing Literature, History, Sociology and Critical Thinking) but I don't know if that's accurate and I know it's bound to vary due to different people's abilities, but how much time did you spend on yours in the first year?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
For my AS I spent literally no time, then did some cramming before the exam.
But then I ended up with a B in chemistry so for A2 I'll be working hard every week. :biggrin:
Reply 2
I think it's impossible to determine. I ended up with B, C, D, E or my AS Levels and I did absolutely nothing all year, and it shows in the last two grades. It does depend on the individual I just think you get used to what you think is a right amount for yourself and then you just get into the swing of things.
My school recommends 1 hour of homework for every hour of that subject you have in the classroom. That usually ends up for me to be about 4 hours of homework a day over 4 subjects. I tended to do about 1-2 hours per day, including weekends. Sometimes I had days off, but I did what was necessary to learn everything I needed to. That's 7-14 hours per week.

I got 4A's at AS and Alevel.
Reply 4
As a guideline, my college says you should spend as much time outside lessons on each subject as you do inside lessons. We have 5 hours a week for each subject, so for homework, coursework and extra reading they've allowed five hours each week.
Not very many people actually meet that recommendation, but I would say in normal term time (ie not leading up to exams) I spend at least 3 hours working per subject per week, but this was often more.
I got four As at AS - working at a fairly hard pace consistently is the way forward I believe!
Reply 5
My school is 8-9 hours a fortnight, in the timetable that is. For some reason, further maths students get a little less in the timetable, but we usually make up with it with extra classes during frees or after school.

As for homework? Well I do as little as possible. Unless it's going to directly impact on my exams, it's not worth me doing. Unless, of course, I'm particularly interested in it.
Reply 6
None, apart from coursework. I ended up with 'AAB'.

Oh, what's that? You aren't me? Well, in that case, how the **** am I supposed to know? Do enough to ensure that you get the grades you need.
Reply 7
I did a little bit of homework in AS...like..1 piece once every 2 weeks. I did maths/further maths/physics/chemistry...i hated chem so didnt go to any lessons and got a U lol, but declined it :biggrin:. Came out with AAA at AS level...then in A2 had some problems with the school so only had 40% attendance lol..got ABB in the end, but still im into manc..wooo..

to answer your question, I don't really think you need anythin other than lessons and some cramming a few days before each exam to get good grades.
Reply 8
1h per week normally. A month or two before exams increase to 2-3h. That's it.
Reply 9
I did very little work outside class...I didn't do homework as it is, just coursework. I never, however found myself behind except from maths but that was only due to not attending lessons. But of course, this varies between each person.

Revision was also non-existent but of course, I did cram for a few days before exams. Ironically, i did less work at A2 than AS :dontknow:
Reply 10
Profesh
None, apart from coursework. I ended up with 'AAB'.

Oh, what's that? You aren't me? Well, in that case, how the **** am I supposed to know? Do enough to ensure that you get the grades you need.

I did say that I'm perfectly aware of the fact that it's different for each person, but if lots of people reply with their own personal experience, it's possible to see how much work people tend to do on average, which is what I was hoping to ascertain. Thanks awfully for your eloquent imput though :smile:
Reply 11
Just do enough so you know you can comfortably do the exams / know all the content. It's up to you to decide how much that is though, everyone's different.

As for me though, I did all the homework that was compulsory (around 2 - 3 hours per week in total for 4 A-levels), and then started revising a couple of weeks before the exams and spent an aweful lot of time cramming then. I got AAAA.
Reply 12
scaryhair
As a guideline, my college says you should spend as much time outside lessons on each subject as you do inside lessons. We have 5 hours a week for each subject, so for homework, coursework and extra reading they've allowed five hours each week.
Not very many people actually meet that recommendation, but I would say in normal term time (ie not leading up to exams) I spend at least 3 hours working per subject per week, but this was often more.
I got four As at AS - working at a fairly hard pace consistently is the way forward I believe!

I guess that sounds about the same as the college I'm going to then, maybe they just mean you'll probably need to spend 2-4 hours per week to pass, but a bit more to get good passes. Just out of interest, which subject did you do?
Reply 13
neon
I did very little work outside class...I didn't do homework as it is, just coursework. I never, however found myself behind except from maths but that was only due to not attending lessons. But of course, this varies between each person.

Revision was also non-existent but of course, I did cram for a few days before exams. Ironically, i did less work at A2 than AS :dontknow:

Actually, that's a point: I did cram a couple of days before AS Politics. (Given that I had the specimen questions and answers from the previous three years' exams in each unit, I figured it would've been criminal not to.)
Simply, do enough to learn the syllabus and get the grades you want.
Reply 15
figureeight
Simply, do enough to learn the syllabus and get the grades you want.

I did plan on doing that much :biggrin: I was just curious as to how much time that generally ends up being for most people, since I'll have a couple of commitments outside of college work and I'm worried as heck about not having enough time for everything
Sian_01
I did plan on doing that much :biggrin: I was just curious as to how much time that generally ends up being for most people, since I'll have a couple of commitments outside of college work and I'm worried as heck about not having enough time for everything

Oh I see :^_^:. Well I wouldn't do much more than 2 hours a day. 1 hour should be plenty. Weekends... well, just use them to catch up anything you didn't get during the week and prepare for the new week. Sunday is always homework day.
Reply 17
figureeight
Oh I see :^_^:. Well I wouldn't do much more than 2 hours a day. 1 hour should be plenty. Weekends... well, just use them to catch up anything you didn't get during the week and prepare for the new week. Sunday is always homework day.

Well, 2 hours a day doesn't sound too scary, thank god! I guess I keep forgetting that you don't spend 6 hours a day every day at college like you do at school, so it sounds worrying when you think that and then the college recommend 16 hours a week of homework/study
Reply 18
figureeight
My school recommends 1 hour of homework for every hour of that subject you have in the classroom. That usually ends up for me to be about 4 hours of homework a day over 4 subjects. I tended to do about 1-2 hours per day, including weekends. Sometimes I had days off, but I did what was necessary to learn everything I needed to. That's 7-14 hours per week.

I got 4A's at AS and Alevel.

:rofl:

:hahaha:

2 hours per day? I did nothing like that. Most homeworks were done in free periods on the day things were due in, and coursework notwithstanding I avoided homework where possible (I know when I can get away with it and when I can't, have always avoided trouble :cool:). I had as many "days off" homework as I possibly could. I did a few hours a week, that's all. I did all my revision in the 2 days leading up to each exam.
HCD
:rofl:

:hahaha:

2 hours per day? I did nothing like that. Most homeworks were done in free periods on the day things were due in, and coursework notwithstanding I avoided homework where possible (I know when I can get away with it and when I can't, have always avoided trouble :cool:). I had as many "days off" homework as I possibly could. I did a few hours a week, that's all. I did all my revision in the 2 days leading up to each exam.

I had on average 2 periods of free time a day. That's 80 minutes which, if I'm not mistaken, is ≈ 1 hour a day. Obviously the time wasn't entirely used up by doing work, but I'd rather overshoot the mark slightly when advising someone else on an academic forum rather than tell them simply "Yeah, it's piss easy. Do the least homework possible and cram for your exams". Seems a bit negligent.

Latest