The Student Room Group

Acca / Aca questions

Which route would you pick Acca or Aca?

All I know is, is that I do not want to be an auditor!

How much time would you say you need to study per exam? Hours per week and weeks per exam? I work two jobs. I know not everyone passes first time, but I will be self funding and need to be realistic.

I am also confused by the exam timings. Are they on demand or at set times through the year?

Which provider would you recommend?

Thank you for your time!
Original post by Zippy82
Which route would you pick Acca or Aca?

All I know is, is that I do not want to be an auditor!

How much time would you say you need to study per exam? Hours per week and weeks per exam? I work two jobs. I know not everyone passes first time, but I will be self funding and need to be realistic.

I am also confused by the exam timings. Are they on demand or at set times through the year?

Which provider would you recommend?

Thank you for your time!

If you don't want to be an auditor what kind of work would you like to do?

what is your previous level of education including grades?

What is your current employment?
Reply 2
Original post by ajj2000
If you don't want to be an auditor what kind of work would you like to do?

what is your previous level of education including grades?

What is your current employment?

Hi ajj2000

I am AAT/ATT. Yes both.

Have worked in industry and currently work in practice. I do, bookkeeping, VAT, Stats and CT comps.

Kind regards
Original post by Zippy82
Hi ajj2000

I am AAT/ATT. Yes both.

Have worked in industry and currently work in practice. I do, bookkeeping, VAT, Stats and CT comps.

Kind regards

Ah, cool. Not the answer I expected at all! If you are in practice I guess you can easily check if your employer is an approved employer for ICAEW or ICAS? Likewise you should be able to chat to any trainees they have at present to see what their study schedule is as it can vary depending on how much college time (if any) your firm will fund. Of course, it can be worth looking to change firms to one with a training schedule that suits you.

I'm out of data on ACA, but for ACCA you would be exempt from the first 3 exams. I'm not clear if you get further exemptions for ATT. The fourth exam (law) is on demand. I believe that for the next 5 or so you would need to sit exams which are available once a quarter.

The rough advice is to allow 15 hours a week for studying. Probably most students don't do this much, but do cram very hard before exams and use some annual leave to study.

One big issue with ACA is that you need to work for an approved training organisation which can be limiting should you want to change jobs. ACCA is much more affordable if self funding. That being said, you should be able to find jobs which provide funding given your background.
Reply 4
Original post by ajj2000

Ah, cool. Not the answer I expected at all! If you are in practice I guess you can easily check if your employer is an approved employer for ICAEW or ICAS? Likewise you should be able to chat to any trainees they have at present to see what their study schedule is as it can vary depending on how much college time (if any) your firm will fund. Of course, it can be worth looking to change firms to one with a training schedule that suits you.

I'm out of data on ACA, but for ACCA you would be exempt from the first 3 exams. I'm not clear if you get further exemptions for ATT. The fourth exam (law) is on demand. I believe that for the next 5 or so you would need to sit exams which are available once a quarter.

The rough advice is to allow 15 hours a week for studying. Probably most students don't do this much, but do cram very hard before exams and use some annual leave to study.

One big issue with ACA is that you need to work for an approved training organisation which can be limiting should you want to change jobs. ACCA is much more affordable if self funding. That being said, you should be able to find jobs which provide funding given your background.

But acca also requires 36 months PER experience?
Reply 5
Original post by 404Tired
But acca also requires 36 months PER experience?

Yes - but the rules on what sort of organisation are far easier.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending