The Student Room Group

Team Assignment - substandard work

So, we've been assigned a team task . I've been appointed Manager. Fairly straightforward report, each team member allocated a specific number of words. The quality of the work that I've received from the rest of the team is shockingly bad, some not relevant, work not cited, literally pictures taken via mobile phone of a team members computer screen (not even smipped) adapted from.... written underneath the picture.

I've written to each team member and am almost spoon feeding the answers. One of the team is really really defensive and has submitted 4 x the word count, just dumping work literally copied and pasted and dumped into appendices.

My question is....do I submit their substandard work as it is, so literally leave the uncited over word count irrelevant stuff in the report? Or do I write the report myself? Either way I feel I'm going to fail. The rest of the team are just not interested in the task and definitely believe its alright he'll sort it out. Problem is I am obtaining 70+ this will undoubtedly bring down my grade...

Cant even express how p8sed off I am.

All suggestions much appreciated.
Original post by AlexJames7134
So, we've been assigned a team task . I've been appointed Manager. Fairly straightforward report, each team member allocated a specific number of words. The quality of the work that I've received from the rest of the team is shockingly bad, some not relevant, work not cited, literally pictures taken via mobile phone of a team members computer screen (not even smipped) adapted from.... written underneath the picture.

I've written to each team member and am almost spoon feeding the answers. One of the team is really really defensive and has submitted 4 x the word count, just dumping work literally copied and pasted and dumped into appendices.

My question is....do I submit their substandard work as it is, so literally leave the uncited over word count irrelevant stuff in the report? Or do I write the report myself? Either way I feel I'm going to fail. The rest of the team are just not interested in the task and definitely believe its alright he'll sort it out. Problem is I am obtaining 70+ this will undoubtedly bring down my grade...

Cant even express how p8sed off I am.

All suggestions much appreciated.

Hilarious. These threads always make me laugh.

Talk to the tutor and find out what the marking criteria are, if you sink or swim as a team, then point out what you have done as manager and how you have tried to help each team member, but ultimately have submitted what they provided.

That should protect you as much as you can in your contribution and role as manager.
I would probably keep a managers sheet as well detailing what you had done and problems with each member plus results.

You should have at least 2 goes plus clear documentation and replies on trying to help each member. That way you can cover yourself. For the over the word count point it out 3 times and the consequences for the team, which means he needs to edit..
Original post by 999tigger
Hilarious. These threads always make me laugh.

Talk to the tutor and find out what the marking criteria are, if you sink or swim as a team, then point out what you have done as manager and how you have tried to help each team member, but ultimately have submitted what they provided.

That should protect you as much as you can in your contribution and role as manager.
I would probably keep a managers sheet as well detailing what you had done and problems with each member plus results.

You should have at least 2 goes plus clear documentation and replies on trying to help each member. That way you can cover yourself. For the over the word count point it out 3 times and the consequences for the team, which means he needs to edit..

I'm afraid its a lost cause. If you could see the quality of the work and lack of interest its absolutely pitiful. One of the team isn't returning next year but funnily, he is the one who has produced the most work (if irrelevant). Asked him 3 x to cut the work, he just stuck it into Appendices :-( one other gave a dictionary description of work, when this is an investment pitch. No application at all ...SMH.
I'm afraid its a lost cause. If you could see the quality of the work and lack of interest its absolutely pitiful. One of the team isn't returning next year but funnily, he is the one who has produced the most work (if irrelevant). Asked him 3 x to cut the work, he just stuck it into Appendices :-( one other gave a dictionary description of work, when this is an investment pitch. No application at all ...SMH.

Well I would be following my advice and covering my back in the ways suggested.
You are going to be judged on.

1. Your work.
2. the team work.
3. Your contribution to the team.

They cant take it into account if they dont know.
Original post by 999tigger
Well I would be following my advice and covering my back in the ways suggested.
You are going to be judged on.

1. Your work.
2. the team work.
3. Your contribution to the team.

They cant take it into account if they dont know.

I ended up writing the entire report. I reckon the tutors knew what they were doing when they put the groups together. Worst things.....all the effort I was given 2 marks more that the other three members of the team who submitted absolute crap to me to include in the report.
Currently submitting applications through clearing to move Uni's. SMH
I ended up writing the entire report. I reckon the tutors knew what they were doing when they put the groups together. Worst things.....all the effort I was given 2 marks more that the other three members of the team who submitted absolute crap to me to include in the report.
Currently submitting applications through clearing to move Uni's. SMH

I would have done it my way ofc.
Your way runs the risk of collusion and fraud.

Fresh start sounds like a good idea unless your grades are great in which you might get away with a transfer.
Group games arent just about the task, but how you handle people.
Maybe you will get it another time.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending