The Student Room Group
University of Oxford, Pawel-Sytniewski
University of Oxford
Oxford

Applying for a second Master's to Oxford (2021 cycle)

Hi all,

Hope everyone's well. Posting here because I am personally quite conflicted about applying to an Oxford MSc programme - hoping that discussing this with folks here might give me some clarity.

The course I'm interested in is Oxford's Global Governance and Diplomacy. Prior to this, I've pursued my undergraduate and graduate studies from the University of Toronto, the Munk School in the latter case (Master of Global Affairs - pursued a professional Master's degree rather than an academic one). My grades are quite good by UofT standards - 3.65 in undergrad (out of 4.0), which earned me a High Distinction (plus I was a Deans Scholar throughout undergrad). At Munk, I graduated with a 3.80 (out of 4) specializing in global governance around two years ago, on scholarship.

Since then, I've culminated useful working experience - stuff that seems good at least on a CV. Interned at a top NGO, was part of an impactful education-based working group, worked with clients in Africa and Canada to improve justice systems - all before I even finished Munk. After that, there was a bit of a lull due to family circumstances, but later I joined a small think tank, where I'm doing field-work in Pakistan working with justice sector actors. I've been published a couple of times in blogs/websites on work-based topics, but not in academic journals. Also have a research gig here at a local university.

All in all, despite having a Master's already, I still feel I want to pursue a degree with some sort of academic outlook far more than the practical/"job-oriented" courses at Munk. Don't get me wrong, loved my time there and it was a super competitive programme - but most of my peers there already had an MA/MSc already under their belts - whereas I joined Munk straight from undergrad.

I don't know why this programme seems so attractive to me - God knows I can't afford it without funding - but just throwing my credentials out there to see if you guys think I stand a chance at all? Will Oxford be pissed because I already have a Master's prior? I am most worried about that.

My grades might be a factor since I don't have a perfect 4.0 as most here do (at least in undergrad), but compared to other Canadian universities, UofT grading is quite brutal and on Oxford's website, a first translated to 3.6/4.0 for Canadian undergrad degrees. The good thing is, I can manage excellent recommendations (more than required 2 for sure!) and perhaps that could work? Thoughts?

(If this is the wrong place, please let me know where else I can post such questions - thanks!)
Reply 1
Original post by finauxe
Hi all,

Hope everyone's well. Posting here because I am personally quite conflicted about applying to an Oxford MSc programme - hoping that discussing this with folks here might give me some clarity.

The course I'm interested in is Oxford's Global Governance and Diplomacy. Prior to this, I've pursued my undergraduate and graduate studies from the University of Toronto, the Munk School in the latter case (Master of Global Affairs - pursued a professional Master's degree rather than an academic one). My grades are quite good by UofT standards - 3.65 in undergrad (out of 4.0), which earned me a High Distinction (plus I was a Deans Scholar throughout undergrad). At Munk, I graduated with a 3.80 (out of 4) specializing in global governance around two years ago, on scholarship.

Since then, I've culminated useful working experience - stuff that seems good at least on a CV. Interned at a top NGO, was part of an impactful education-based working group, worked with clients in Africa and Canada to improve justice systems - all before I even finished Munk. After that, there was a bit of a lull due to family circumstances, but later I joined a small think tank, where I'm doing field-work in Pakistan working with justice sector actors. I've been published a couple of times in blogs/websites on work-based topics, but not in academic journals. Also have a research gig here at a local university.

All in all, despite having a Master's already, I still feel I want to pursue a degree with some sort of academic outlook far more than the practical/"job-oriented" courses at Munk. Don't get me wrong, loved my time there and it was a super competitive programme - but most of my peers there already had an MA/MSc already under their belts - whereas I joined Munk straight from undergrad.

I don't know why this programme seems so attractive to me - God knows I can't afford it without funding - but just throwing my credentials out there to see if you guys think I stand a chance at all? Will Oxford be pissed because I already have a Master's prior? I am most worried about that.

My grades might be a factor since I don't have a perfect 4.0 as most here do (at least in undergrad), but compared to other Canadian universities, UofT grading is quite brutal and on Oxford's website, a first translated to 3.6/4.0 for Canadian undergrad degrees. The good thing is, I can manage excellent recommendations (more than required 2 for sure!) and perhaps that could work? Thoughts?

(If this is the wrong place, please let me know where else I can post such questions - thanks!)

Hey,

I don't know much about your course, but I just skimmed through the course page on the Oxford website and it sounds like you tick a lot of their boxes. It did say something like 3.8 GPA on the website, but I think the best thing to do would be to directly contact their admissions? Just ask about whether already having a masters will be a problem (I don't think it will personally) and perhaps ask about whether it is still worth applying with your grade conversion?
University of Oxford, Pawel-Sytniewski
University of Oxford
Oxford
Reply 2
Original post by Keels25
Hey,

I don't know much about your course, but I just skimmed through the course page on the Oxford website and it sounds like you tick a lot of their boxes. It did say something like 3.8 GPA on the website, but I think the best thing to do would be to directly contact their admissions? Just ask about whether already having a masters will be a problem (I don't think it will personally) and perhaps ask about whether it is still worth applying with your grade conversion?

Hi, thanks for responding! That could work, I wanted to email admissions for clarity on some other stuff but I'll surely float these to them as well. :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by finauxe
Hi, thanks for responding! That could work, I wanted to email admissions for clarity on some other stuff but I'll surely float these to them as well. :smile:

Hey! I know this is eons ago and I am unsure if you've even got access to this any longer, but was wondering if you ended up applying/going 🙂

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending