The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

I've yet to buy something from Primark because I'm put off by how messy it is in their stores. And anyway, I'm not one to be supporting child labour in India.
Reply 21
Ooo... forgot to mention, the socks are GREAT :biggrin:. I find them too expensive at other places, and since socks (wherever you buy them) will get holey at one time or another, why not buy it cheaply??
I have a few very cheap plain t-shirts from there that seem to be lasting a long while, whereas I've bought things from more expensive shops that have started getting holes in them within a few wears. So, y'know. S'alright.
Reply 23
jelly1000
I've yet to buy something from Primark because I'm put off by how messy it is in their stores. And anyway, I'm not one to be supporting child labour in India.

Most places have cheap overseas labour, you just don't find out about it.
jelly1000

I hate to move back into thios topic AGAIN, but does this mean you avoid most high street shops, too?
Reply 25
jelly1000

Oh ffs, all clothes chains pay workers the same; Primark just rip you off less, cos they take a smaller profit.
Reply 26
Their clothes seem to get wrecked after one/two washes for me, or maybe my washing machine is just evil? :s-smilie:
jelly1000

Ditto what someone already said about most places having overseas labour.

BUT, more importantly - Primark is part of an ETHICAL TRADING GROUP (the same one as shops such as M&S) - they don't use child labour in any of their factories. When they found out that a factory that supplied them used child labour, they immediately cut contact with that factory.

There are shops that are worse than Primark with much better reputations. And then there's Matalan, which doesn't get any stick, yet has an ethical rating of 0, while Primark's is 3. I've written about this in an old debate on Primark on this forum, and there's sources in that post.

Reasons Primark are cheap: they don't advertise ever, they only stock the average sizes (8-16), they do pay near minimum wage (but not below it), they don't buy the item for £1 and sell it for £50 - they only add a small amount on so they make less profit but sell more, they mass produce.... it's all perfectly good reasons though.

It annoys me that people say they don't shop in Primark because they don't support child labour (this isn't just at you btw, person I've quoted :p: plus I've just been sorting out my student finance stuff and discovered I'll be living off minus money next month so I'm a bit grumpy :redface:)..... but anyway, people say they won't support Primark, yet use all other high street shops, so it's pointless anyway.

Ok, I'm done :redface:

Edit: forgot to say (to keep on topic :redface:) somethings I've bought from Primark have gone shapeless after a little while, but most stuff has actually been pretty decent. I've had about the same ratio of good:crap things as I have from places like H&M and New Look. You just have to check the clothes out to make sure they aren't coming loose at the hems or whatever, before you buy them :yep:
Nitzy
Their clothes seem to get wrecked after one/two washes for me, or maybe my washing machine is just evil? :s-smilie:

All my washing is done on cool washes (50 for whites, 30 for colours) and my stuff all survives. Apart from one shirt with buttons on where the colour on one of the buttons faded because I gave it to my mother to wash and she blasted it with heat, I've never had any trouble with any of my clothes.
Reply 29
I love Primark because it's cheap and you can get an outfit for a tenner!:L
However, if topshop was as cheap, I would be living in it:smile: lol.
I thought that was the whole point of Primark?
If you want good quality, go and ripped off in Topshop or somewhere similar.
Most of the stuff I've got from primark is fine - I've worn it more than just a few times i.e. a pretty black and white v-neck dressed up top and a checked black and white puffball dress. Nothing wrong with it really, and I wouldnt want my clothes to last years and years and years cos then you miss out on getting to buy new ones :biggrin:
The only thing decent in Primark, for guys anyway, are the jeans. Everything else in the mens section is horrible.
ive given up on primark, all the clothes ive bought from there in past have gone crap really quickly: tops get bobbling on them, the dye in jeans run and their underwear is really uncomfortable as well :s:
MazalTov89
The only thing decent in Primark, for guys anyway, are the jeans. Everything else in the mens section is horrible.

Depends on your style a bit, I'd imagine. My boyfriend has some really nice t shirts from there, including some that I've stolen to sleep in that I can vouch for as being comfy :p: The hoody he had was a bit stiff, but that was quite possibly just down to how it was washed.
EskimoJo
Well, you're missing out! :p: Granted I'm not a Primark fanatic like some, but I've never bought anything that has lasted only one wear, or even close to that. :s-smilie:

Okay maybe I was exagerating a little xD

But I'd still never buy anything from there, I'd just feel dead cheap wearing their stuff >< I've never seen anyone buy anything from there that's actually nice, it's all just basic stuff. I know most people then layer it and wear it with other things to dress it up but that's just not my style. I prefer stuff that's already interesting, unusualy and unique. I've never been one for lables and I hate clothes that have the lable in huge letters across the front, but I do prefer to wear expensive looking clothes than cheap looking ones. I work hard to earn as much as I can and I want to look like I do! xD

I can understand people buying the odd throwaway item from there, or kids clothes since they don't last long anyway, but I think it's crazy when people buy the same pair of shoes in 5 different clothes just because they can like a friend of mine has done before! xD
I buy all my knickers and socks there and some bras. They do well. It's great for things that you know aren't going to be in fashion for very long and will be unwearable soon as they go out of fashion.
Sometimes you can go in there and not see anything nice...other times you can find quite a few nice little things. I find their sizes to be sooo random sometimes! Lots of their jewellery and bags look very cheap but sometimes you can find something that looks a little more expensive. It's good for things you aren't going to wear much - maybe a dress for a night out or something. In my experience the clothes don't really stand the test of time!
Reply 38
the tops and zip up jumpers are shapeless. but have nice patterns/designs.
the shorts are ok but none of their trousers fit me- just totally the wrong shape.
I like their socks and pants. They have lasted me well, much better than ones from other shops :cool:

Latest