The Student Room Group
Mappin Building
University of Sheffield
Sheffield

University of Sheffield Current Students - Ask Us Anything!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by University of Sheffield Students
Hey! Amazing to hear you're considering Sheffield for your Masters course (I think I've just replied to you on another thread as well - oops!) Unfortunately I cannot speak for the Computer Science side of things as I read Music, but as for job prospects post-masters course - you will be greatly supported at Sheffield by the careers service (https://www.sheffield.ac.uk/careers) and the jobshop which are both amazing services.

I am currently in my final year at Sheffield and hold an offer to continue onto a Masters course in September. A weird coincidence - I have literally just filled in my application for a scholarship too! I think it said that we should be emailed by June with the verdict.

Hope this helps somewhat! Do let us know if you have any further questions :smile:

Emily
- 3rd Year, BMus

Thank You for reverting back.

Well, can you some insights or thoughts on the accommodation part, how much is a cost of living for an international student especially Indian student.
and also about the societies and clubs, do international students have their own native community at the university?
Mappin Building
University of Sheffield
Sheffield
Original post by abhishek_971
Thank You for reverting back.

Well, can you some insights or thoughts on the accommodation part, how much is a cost of living for an international student especially Indian student.
and also about the societies and clubs, do international students have their own native community at the university?

Hey! So there are two main types of University accommodation based on the location: City and Endcliffe/ Ranmoor. City accommodation is closer to the
main University buildings and the city centre while the latter is like a 20 minute walk from the main University square. Endcliffe and Ranmoor are
bigger student villages, has their own cafe, bar, gym etc and it's really pretty too since it's outside the city. But if you prefer convenience, then living in the City accommodation would be more suitable for you. I lived in City accommodation in my first year (Allen Court) and I absolutely loved it. I was really lucky that my flatmates were great and really helpful and friendly. We were 6 in my flat. I had an ensuite room, so I had my own room and my own bathroom but I shared the kitchen and the living space with my flatmates. It was really spacious and comfortable and we had lots of cupboards etc to keep our things around. Everyone has their own room here, it's just about having a shared bathroom or an ensuite room and the location and price.

The city accommodation also has Broad Lane Court which is mostly shared bathrooms I think and is a bit cheaper than Allen Court. The shared bathroom accommodations are cleaned by the University cleaners every fortnight - like the bathroom and the kitchen would be cleaned for you every 15 days. The EnSuite ones you would have to do it yourself. You can check out all the pictures and 360° videos on the University website of the
accommodation webpage. Also, being in University accommodation, there were loads of activities to be involved with (as part of Residence life) like free
ukelele sessions to free badminton/ squash sessions, potluck, trips etc.

You get a ResLife card if you live in University accommodation which entitles you to discounts in other University events too. For example, societies run a lot of Give it a Go (GIAG) events where students living in University accommodation get like around £2 off tickets. GIAG events are essentially like taster events where you can just try out a new thing or something from a society without actually having to join the society or pay like the full price.

Like I tried bouldering with my flatmate in my first year and that was great for my flatmate cause I wasn't strong enough 😂 but it was a pretty good environment like there was no judgement or anything whatsoever - there were loads of beginners just like me who were struggling hahaha.
I also tried squash in one of the GIAG sessions and I really enjoyed it so I ended up joining the society and have been a member ever since!!

There are over 300 clubs and societies in the Students' Union and you can join any of them if you want. There's an Indian Society too but you can join societies from other countries too - there's no barriers against that. I'm an Indian student studying here so I know it must be a bit stressful to sort everything out but everyone is quite friendly and supportive here. :biggrin: The living costs really vary on your lifestyle but as an estimate, I spend around £30 per week for food, going out (in case) and other miscellaneous costs.

Let me know if you want to know anything else. :biggrin:

-Sanchari
Materials Science and Engineering, University of Sheffield
Hey! So there are two main types of University accommodation based on the location: City and Endcliffe/ Ranmoor. City accommodation is closer to the
main University buildings and the city centre while the latter is like a 20 minute walk from the main University square. Endcliffe and Ranmoor are
bigger student villages, has their own cafe, bar, gym etc and it's really pretty too since it's outside the city. But if you prefer convenience, then living in the City accommodation would be more suitable for you. I lived in City accommodation in my first year (Allen Court) and I absolutely loved it. I was really lucky that my flatmates were great and really helpful and friendly. We were 6 in my flat. I had an ensuite room, so I had my own room and my own bathroom but I shared the kitchen and the living space with my flatmates. It was really spacious and comfortable and we had lots of cupboards etc to keep our things around. Everyone has their own room here, it's just about having a shared bathroom or an ensuite room and the location and price.

The city accommodation also has Broad Lane Court which is mostly shared bathrooms I think and is a bit cheaper than Allen Court. The shared bathroom accommodations are cleaned by the University cleaners every fortnight - like the bathroom and the kitchen would be cleaned for you every 15 days. The EnSuite ones you would have to do it yourself. You can check out all the pictures and 360° videos on the University website of the
accommodation webpage. Also, being in University accommodation, there were loads of activities to be involved with (as part of Residence life) like free
ukelele sessions to free badminton/ squash sessions, potluck, trips etc.

You get a ResLife card if you live in University accommodation which entitles you to discounts in other University events too. For example, societies run a lot of Give it a Go (GIAG) events where students living in University accommodation get like around £2 off tickets. GIAG events are essentially like taster events where you can just try out a new thing or something from a society without actually having to join the society or pay like the full price.

Like I tried bouldering with my flatmate in my first year and that was great for my flatmate cause I wasn't strong enough 😂 but it was a pretty good environment like there was no judgement or anything whatsoever - there were loads of beginners just like me who were struggling hahaha.
I also tried squash in one of the GIAG sessions and I really enjoyed it so I ended up joining the society and have been a member ever since!!

There are over 300 clubs and societies in the Students' Union and you can join any of them if you want. There's an Indian Society too but you can join societies from other countries too - there's no barriers against that. I'm an Indian student studying here so I know it must be a bit stressful to sort everything out but everyone is quite friendly and supportive here. :biggrin: The living costs really vary on your lifestyle but as an estimate, I spend around £30 per week for food, going out (in case) and other miscellaneous costs.

Let me know if you want to know anything else. :biggrin:

-Sanchari
Materials Science and Engineering, University of Sheffield

Hey sanchari, thank you so much for explaining it in so much detail. I would love to know that if you did or doing any kind of part time of jobs just to manage your expenses of living.

If there's any then how hard it to get a part time job? And is it available within the campus or you have to struggle in finding it off campus.

And I'm so sorry cause I have bulk of questions in my mind right now so please don't get frustrated or shattered by them.
Original post by abhishek_971
Hey sanchari, thank you so much for explaining it in so much detail. I would love to know that if you did or doing any kind of part time of jobs just to manage your expenses of living.

If there's any then how hard it to get a part time job? And is it available within the campus or you have to struggle in finding it off campus.

And I'm so sorry cause I have bulk of questions in my mind right now so please don't get frustrated or shattered by them.

Hey! I can tell you a bit about my own experience with part time jobs until Sanchari will be online again to share hers! 😊

For starters, there are jobs available to students both on and off campus and normally you can find these on the JobShop where there are usually quite a lot of vacancies listed. This is both a physical service in the Students' Union and an online platform where you see and apply for job directly. I've worked as a student ambassador for both of my academic departments (Politics & Philosophy), for the Faculty of Arts and Humanities, and for other administrative departments within the university and I've found all of these opportunities there. There is also the Careers Service which has a platform called Career Connect which works similarly, but it's more for placements, internships and graduate jobs (so more career-oriented rather than part-time job oriented). It was quite easy for me to get these jobs, there is some competition from what I've seen (as is with any job, always), but it's definitely not impossible to get a job if you prepare for the interview well and write a good application. This is exactly what the Careers Service is for, we can book 1:1 sessions or workshops with them about writing a CV or an application, they do mock interviews, and offer many tools (you can check out their webpage here if you're curious).

When it comes to managing living expenses, I'd say this depends on the number of hours you work, how much you're being paid, and your other income sources. I'm not sure about the specifics (although it would've been a good idea to keep track of my personal finances 😅) but I can say for sure that I've started relying more on my own income as the years went by because I got a better idea of how to manage my time and balance uni, work, personal life. At some point, I'd say my income became enough to cover my monthly food & leisure expenses (as I wasn't paying for accommodation on a monthly basis) and I wasn't working too much at all really. It all depends on you, your preferences on how to manage your time, and your lifestyle.

I hope this gave you an idea of the part-time job aspect of being a student here. There's much more to say, so if you have any questions, we'll be here!

Andreea
3rd Year, Politics & Philosophy
Hey! I can tell you a bit about my own experience with part time jobs until Sanchari will be online again to share hers! 😊

For starters, there are jobs available to students both on and off campus and normally you can find these on the JobShop where there are usually quite a lot of vacancies listed. This is both a physical service in the Students' Union and an online platform where you see and apply for job directly. I've worked as a student ambassador for both of my academic departments (Politics & Philosophy), for the Faculty of Arts and Humanities, and for other administrative departments within the university and I've found all of these opportunities there. There is also the Careers Service which has a platform called Career Connect which works similarly, but it's more for placements, internships and graduate jobs (so more career-oriented rather than part-time job oriented). It was quite easy for me to get these jobs, there is some competition from what I've seen (as is with any job, always), but it's definitely not impossible to get a job if you prepare for the interview well and write a good application. This is exactly what the Careers Service is for, we can book 1:1 sessions or workshops with them about writing a CV or an application, they do mock interviews, and offer many tools (you can check out their webpage here if you're curious).

When it comes to managing living expenses, I'd say this depends on the number of hours you work, how much you're being paid, and your other income sources. I'm not sure about the specifics (although it would've been a good idea to keep track of my personal finances 😅) but I can say for sure that I've started relying more on my own income as the years went by because I got a better idea of how to manage my time and balance uni, work, personal life. At some point, I'd say my income became enough to cover my monthly food & leisure expenses (as I wasn't paying for accommodation on a monthly basis) and I wasn't working too much at all really. It all depends on you, your preferences on how to manage your time, and your lifestyle.

I hope this gave you an idea of the part-time job aspect of being a student here. There's much more to say, so if you have any questions, we'll be here!

Thank you, you briefed a lot of information here.
Reply 65
Hi, I was wondering whether the uni will send us more documents outlining specific things we can/can't bring with us, e.g. blenders, rice cookers etc? And does anyone know how big the fridge/freezers are in endcliffe kitchens for shared bathroom flats? Thanks!
Original post by jezzoo
Hi, I was wondering whether the uni will send us more documents outlining specific things we can/can't bring with us, e.g. blenders, rice cookers etc? And does anyone know how big the fridge/freezers are in endcliffe kitchens for shared bathroom flats? Thanks!

Hi!

Hope you are well. All information regarding what you can have in accommodation is usually outlined in your accommodation contract. Typically any small plug in appliances like a blender or rice cooker are fine to keep in the communal kitchen, these types of items however can't be kept in the rooms as far as I am aware. When I was in first year my contract stated no large furniture/ fridges/ cooking appliances to be kept in the bedrooms. The fridge freezers tend to be an average size and the amount you get depends on the number of people you share with. I was in a 6 person flat in my first year and we had 2 fridge/ freezers. Friends I know in 10 people flats had 3. I personally didn't have any problem for space :smile:. Hope this helps you about a bit, I recommend having a look over your accommodation contract for more info on this if you have received it, if not you will receive this closer to the time ( most likely after results day). If there are any specific questions you have, you can email the accommodation office on [email protected].

If you have anymore questions please feel free to ask :smile:!

Alisha
2nd Year
BMedSci Orthoptics
Hey, because I will be joining Sheffield University from year 2, I was wondering if there were any ways I could meet people from my year prior to the start of the course? I thought there might be some Whatsapp group chats but haven't been able to find any. Perhaps you know of something along those lines.
Original post by Cocochdy
Hey, because I will be joining Sheffield University from year 2, I was wondering if there were any ways I could meet people from my year prior to the start of the course? I thought there might be some Whatsapp group chats but haven't been able to find any. Perhaps you know of something along those lines.

Hey!

Usually most courses have a Facebook group set up by staff so students can network before hand - so might be worth searching around to see if one has been made? Apologies if this isn't the case for your course but I know Music had one for first years :smile:
Another way to find people may be through joining your departmental society if there is one. You can search for it here: https://su.sheffield.ac.uk/activities/filter/15#socListings

Hope this helps!

Emily
- 3rd Year, BMus
Hey!

Usually most courses have a Facebook group set up by staff so students can network before hand - so might be worth searching around to see if one has been made? Apologies if this isn't the case for your course but I know Music had one for first years :smile:
Another way to find people may be through joining your departmental society if there is one. You can search for it here: https://su.sheffield.ac.uk/activities/filter/15#socListings

Hope this helps!

Emily
- 3rd Year, BMus

Hi Emily, that helped a lot, thank you! My course has indeed a Facebook group and Instagram group as well. I will follow your advice :smile:
Hi, just a few questions.

1) what is the Masters application like, are there any questions or interviews you have to do and what's the open application date if possible?

2) what are the assignment layouts like?. Like is it Harvard referencing? What's the best top tips for having a good assignment layout (fonts, spacing etc).

3) what post career support is available as well as PhD support?

Thank you, all the best :smile:
Original post by Anonymous
Hi, just a few questions.

1) what is the Masters application like, are there any questions or interviews you have to do and what's the open application date if possible?

2) what are the assignment layouts like?. Like is it Harvard referencing? What's the best top tips for having a good assignment layout (fonts, spacing etc).

3) what post career support is available as well as PhD support?

Thank you, all the best :smile:

Hi there!
Thanks for getting in touch - I'll try my best to answer your questions here:

1) I found the Masters application fairly clear and straightforward. The university use an online application system with a login so you can save your progress etc.
I'm not entirely sure about other courses but for Music there was no interview. Do Feel free to get in touch with the department for a more concrete answer!
You have to write a supporting statement (minimum 500 words) to attach to your application - really sell yourself here as it's basically like the personal statement you may have written for undergrad!

2) Assignments obviously vary widely course to course but as an example, the masters course I'm starting in September includes group reports as well as individual essays, research reports and of course the dissertation.
Referencing also varies. My masters course is MA Psychology of Music so we use APA 7 (American Psychological Association). We do use Harvard at Sheffield too though! Referencing and guidance on font, spacing and general assignment layout should always be given to you on your assignment briefs. I can't give a clear answer as I've known it to vary even lecturer to lecturer on my course!

3) As for career support, we have the careers service which every student has access to. They are both online and also have an office in the SU so appointments can be made for in person guidance and support. We have access to this service for up to 3 years after we graduate so it's helpful to have that continued support from the University.

I hope this helps somewhat!
Do let me know if you have any other questions and I'd be more than happy to help :smile:

Emily
- 3rd Year, BMus
Hi, do you know if there are any microwaves on campus students can use? I like having a hot lunch! Thanks :smile:
Original post by bookworm61
Hi, do you know if there are any microwaves on campus students can use? I like having a hot lunch! Thanks :smile:

Hi there!

I don't believe I have ever come across any microwaves on campus I'm afraid. I used to nip back home for hot lunches or get something warm from the Students Union they have quite a few different options for warm food :smile:

Hope this helps!

Alisha
3rd Year
BMedSci Orthoptics
Reply 74
Is there a Sheffield applicants thread 2022?
Original post by Amp242
Is there a Sheffield applicants thread 2022?

Hi there!

Currently I don't believe anyone has made an applicant thread for 2022, these threads aren't typically made by the University, they usually get made by prospective students at some point during the year. You can also make a thread yourself if you would like!

Hope this helps,

Alisha
3rd Year
BMedSci Orthoptics
Hi there, do you know how long it normally takes to get a reply from the University regarding an offer? I have received an email from both the university and admissions tutor but I honestly am at the edge of my seat non-stop waiting to hear back from Sheffield - I am so excited and nervous! Thanks
Original post by ATreutler2291
Hi there, do you know how long it normally takes to get a reply from the University regarding an offer? I have received an email from both the university and admissions tutor but I honestly am at the edge of my seat non-stop waiting to hear back from Sheffield - I am so excited and nervous! Thanks

Hi!

Hope you are well, I understand it's a very nerve racking time applying for university I felt the exact as you did when applying! I'm afraid there's no set time for when you can receive an offer from the university as it is still pretty early on in the admissions cycle and most applicants won't send in applications until January (for most courses) so courses like to keep availability for these applications too but it's not uncommon to hear back earlier than this. It sounds promising that you have had emails from the uni and admissions tutors so hopefully you will hear back soon! :smile:

Best of luck :smile:

Alisha
3rd Year
BMedSci Orthoptics
Hi!

Hope you are well, I understand it's a very nerve racking time applying for university I felt the exact as you did when applying! I'm afraid there's no set time for when you can receive an offer from the university as it is still pretty early on in the admissions cycle and most applicants won't send in applications until January (for most courses) so courses like to keep availability for these applications too but it's not uncommon to hear back earlier than this. It sounds promising that you have had emails from the uni and admissions tutors so hopefully you will hear back soon! :smile:

Best of luck :smile:

Alisha
3rd Year
BMedSci Orthoptics

Is Sheffield good for Economics and Politics Course?

Can I expect good placement, considering that I am an international aspirant and would have to put a lot of money into it?
Hi,

I have a confirmed place at The University of Sheffield so I’m just starting to look at accommodation. I have found some nice private accommodation (Fusion - Cosmos) and I’ve also looked at the accommodation run by the uni. I’m coeliac so need my own kitchen but I don’t want to be really isolated. The studio rooms available in Ranmoor/Endcliffe say they only have a microwave but I will have access to a communal oven. I am fine with that I just wondered if there was anyone who has done this so can tell me what it’s like. I would prefer to stay in Ranmoor/Endcliffe. I wasn’t able to look at the rooms so any help would be great! Thank you
(edited 2 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending