The Student Room Group
Mappin Building
University of Sheffield
Sheffield

Sheffield University for History

I’m putting Sheffield as my last choice Uni ( I’ve got grades that exceed AAB by a lot, I’m taking a gap year -but just in case), but I really like the course there. However, the History ranking shows that it has moved down 5 places since last year. Are Uni rankings representative of the true nature of the uni? Does anyone who goes to Sheffield have positive or negative experiences at the uni?

Thanks
Original post by Anonymous
I’m putting Sheffield as my last choice Uni ( I’ve got grades that exceed AAB by a lot, I’m taking a gap year -but just in case), but I really like the course there. However, the History ranking shows that it has moved down 5 places since last year. Are Uni rankings representative of the true nature of the uni? Does anyone who goes to Sheffield have positive or negative experiences at the uni?

Thanks

Which ranking are you looking at? What metrics / weightings does it use?

A move of 5 places is likely meaningless, either because that movement is based upon a metric which is of no interest to you (e.g. research quality) or because that movement is the result of a tiny difference in their score, but many unis have very similar scores.

For example, there's just 0.8% difference in the following 8 unis, as scored for History by the Complete University Guide.

The Complete University Guide - History.PNG
Mappin Building
University of Sheffield
Sheffield
Original post by Anonymous

Thanks

Hi,

I am about to start my 3rd year at the University of Sheffield, I have really enjoyed studying here and living in Sheffield.

Was it the overall score that changed? If so, you could have a look at the individual criteria to see whether or not the change was in a category that is really important to you or if it was in something less impactful for you. Often a lot of unis are quite close on the rankings and so moving a few places could mean only a very slight change.

I would recommend going to open days or just visiting the city to get a more accurate feel of the uni and the area it is in.

On the University of Sheffield website there is a Chat to Us function, where you can talk to current students and ask them about the course.

Lizzie (BSc Maths and Philosophy at University of Sheffield)
Reply 3
Original post by University of Sheffield Students
Hi,

I am about to start my 3rd year at the University of Sheffield, I have really enjoyed studying here and living in Sheffield.

Was it the overall score that changed? If so, you could have a look at the individual criteria to see whether or not the change was in a category that is really important to you or if it was in something less impactful for you. Often a lot of unis are quite close on the rankings and so moving a few places could mean only a very slight change.

I would recommend going to open days or just visiting the city to get a more accurate feel of the uni and the area it is in.

On the University of Sheffield website there is a Chat to Us function, where you can talk to current students and ask them about the course.

Lizzie (BSc Maths and Philosophy at University of Sheffield)

It was the students prospects section I think!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending