The Student Room Group

(help) accutane and university social life

so I'm going to university in september and since year 9 I've had relatively bad acne, it's no where near awful but I'm honestly just fed up with it now. I've been on 2 or 3 rounds of lymecyclin (antibiotics) and while these work while I'm on them, the acne comes straight back when I come off. My doctor said it would be safe for me to just stay on these indefinitely but I don't think that's a good idea.

My other options are the pill and accutane/isotretonin. I am convinced that the pill will give the same effect as the lymecycline did so I would much prefer to go on accutane due to it's more permanent cure. The trouble is the side effects can be quite extreme and it is advised that you don't drink while taking it. I don't really know what to do since not drinking at uni would definitely be a hindrance for me in enjoying myself on nights out etc due to my social anxiety and I feel like drinking is part of the uni experience, especially in first year.

Should I just put up with the acne or do I just suck it up and go on accutane?

Does anyone have any advice?
(edited 3 years ago)
Suck it up and be a man
Accutane.
Reply 3
Original post by Bl and Wh Army L
Suck it up and be a man

Have you ever had acne or a skin condition? lmao 😂
Reply 4
My advice would be to go to a GP and discuss the drug, if your acne is deemed to be bad enough, the GP will refer you to a dermatologist. I am on accutane right now, I have been to some family meet-ups and drunk within the legal limit but one drink feels like 4 so you have to be very careful.
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 5
Deal with your anxiety rather than covering it with alcohol, no one cares if you drink or not at university.
Reply 6
Original post by Archon9
My advice would be to go to a GP and discuss the drug, if your acne is deemed to be bad enough, the GP will refer you to a dermatologist. I am on accutane right now, I have been to some family meet-ups and drunk within the legal limit but one drink feels like 4 so you have to be very careful.

Hey thanks for your advice, I don't think my acne is that bad its just that nothing else from the doctor has worked so far. Okay that's interesting i'll definitely keep that in mind. Did your dp/dermatologist give you any guidance on drinking etc?
do not go on the antibiotics for a long time they can have long term side effects, it's so frustrating that UK doctors will hand them out willy nilly when they've been shown to be harmful long term. Almost everyones been on them so don't worry, I would say try accutane, its bad when your taking it but the results are worth it usually
Oh don't drink because you feel like you should...also, not drinking will not be an hindrance if you're with the right people...
Reply 9
Original post by Admera
Hey thanks for your advice, I don't think my acne is that bad its just that nothing else from the doctor has worked so far. Okay that's interesting i'll definitely keep that in mind. Did your dp/dermatologist give you any guidance on drinking etc?

To be honest they didn't say anything directly but they sent me a leaflet with a bunch of info and I'm pretty sure it said to not drink at all or stay within the legal limit

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending