The Student Room Group
Congratulations on your results! You definitely have a shot at the top-tier schools, though as always, nothing is guaranteed. Obviously you're going to be applying to some places like LSE and Oxbridge, and rightly so. Others can advise you on which you might want to select.

However, you'll also want to have a safety school, so that you know you'll be heading off to uni somewhere. Can I suggest Queen Mary, University of London, as a good option for that. It has a solid program, and a degree from there won't stop you from going anywhere (except the few blatantly Oxbridge firms/chambers that are still out there). It has excellent extracurriculars, including Pro Bono work and a Mooting team, and a number of very prominent authors are professors and lecturers there.

I'm not saying that it should necessarily be your first choice, but with AAA you're virtually guaranteed a place (assuming you've got a decent CV overall), and it's a nice place to be. Speaking from experience, there's a lot to be said for being a big fish in a small pond. As safety schools go, it's definitely not a bad one.
Reply 2
pakilicious_mo
Hey

I have just finished my A-levels and achieved AAA in English lit, law and Psychology. (On gap year)

My Gcse's:
4A's (English lit, maths, science's)
3B's (English Language, Geography, History)
2C's

I want to study at the best possible law school (oxbridge, UCL etc) and I was wondering which law schools I should apply to, I dont want to choose 5 law schools that will just reject my application! Bearing in mind I attended a very poor state school (26% pass rate) will my GCSE's hold me back?

Thaaankkkss!!! :smile:

Congradulations on your results...You should really give some top unis a go, but can I advice you to first check on their entry requirements, as although you got 3 A's I believe some universities (although very few) do not like Law at A level...
Reply 3
give cambridge or oxford a go (if you think you'd like it)
only the super talented have a high chance of getting a place
so you're in the same boat at most applicants - its a long shot but you've got as good a chance as anyone else!
Your GCSEs will be a disadvantage, but you should definitely mention that you went to a poor school. Maybe have 1/2 top tier law schools, and 3/4 very good ones.
Reply 5
jacketpotato
Your GCSEs will be a disadvantage, but you should definitely mention that you went to a poor school.

I asked a question regarding this on one of the threads I started. No one has replied yet so I'll ask it here. I attend a school with a 29% pass rate. Is it ok for me to mention this myself in my Personal statement or will it be seen as a really lame excuse? My GCSE's are A*AAAABBBB.

It might be slightly more difficult to get my head of 6th form to mention the pass rate in the reference because she (and the rest of the school) tend not to want to mention anything negative about the school.
Reply 6
Law and psychology may not be that well respected by some unis,
LSE put law in the black list and cambridge put both subjects in the limited suitability list.
so maybe you can think about giving a shot in oxford (but i guess they focus a lot on GCSEs :s-smilie: not sure*)
and you can go for UCL if you want.
pick another 2 from Durham, Nottingham, Bristol, Warwick, Manchester. (the first 3 ask for LNAT, the other 2 don't, so maybe one from each list)
and go for a decent but somehow easier to get in one. like Queen Mary as suggested.
Poshtotty
I asked a question regarding this on one of the threads I started. No one has replied yet so I'll ask it here. I attend a school with a 29% pass rate. Is it ok for me to mention this myself in my Personal statement or will it be seen as a really lame excuse? My GCSE's are A*AAAABBBB.

It might be slightly more difficult to get my head of 6th form to mention the pass rate in the reference because she (and the rest of the school) tend not to want to mention anything negative about the school.

Mention it in your PS.

Latest

Trending

Trending