The Student Room Group

What are considered 'academic' subjects?

I'm starting sixth form in September and still have time to choose my a levels.
As a future career, I'm interested in something involving Physics, but I'm also interested in Fashion Design.
A level Physics is my first choice, but I don't know what to pick for the other two. On the universities I've looked at, most of them state that they want three 'academic' subjects. What subjects are considered academic? Which ones should I avoid?
I think most subjects will count as academic (all sciences, all humanities, all languages), but I don't think General Studies is typically accepted. I'm not sure where fine art stands, but things like dance probably wouldn't count? It might be best to email a university admissions office directly - they'll be able to give more specific guidance :biggrin:
There should be a list of what is avoided and non-preferred on their website. General studies and critical thinking are not accepted. Be careful of choosing ones with similar content like Economics and Business as they can be regarded as one A level instead of 2. If you are interested in something involving physics, maths and further maths is a good shout
Traditionally academic subjects are generally held to be those that are primarily assessed by final unseen examination; essentially any subject which isn't primarily coursework based should be suitable (although as noted above, A-level General Studies and A-level Critical Thinking are rarely considered by universities when making offers). In terms of subject choices, I would note that virtually all degrees requiring A-level Physics will also require A-level Mathematics (and the ones that don't will require you learn the A-level Maths content in your first year modules anyway). If your goal is to go into e.g. physics, engineering, etc, you should plan to take A-level Maths. A-level FM would be very useful for these courses but isn't required typically.

For creative arts and design degrees, requirements are often less specific. They'll expect some kind of qualification at the 6th form level, which doesn't need to be A-levels (although it can be). Normally there will also be a requirement to submit a creative portfolio - this is usually developed while taking an art/design subject, or during an art foundation year (FAD) course. Sometimes they will specifically require an art or design subject at A-level standard or equivalent, although this is less common as a specific requirement (although as noted above, the portfolio requirement means many if not most will be doing at least one such subject).

Usually FAD courses are quite useful preparation for applicants to design subjects like fashion which often aren't as well supported in the A-level Art curriculum (which tends to focus more on fine art approaches than design approaches). It can also be a good "taster" to see if doing "full time" art/design work is for you, and getting familiar with working in a studio environment similar to how you would work on a degree in those areas. @PQ has made a very useful FAQ about FAD courses here: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=5017684 which I recommend you have a look through if you're considering potentially doing something art or design related at uni later.
Original post by artful_lounger
Traditionally academic subjects are generally held to be those that are primarily assessed by final unseen examination; essentially any subject which isn't primarily coursework based should be suitable (although as noted above, A-level General Studies and A-level Critical Thinking are rarely considered by universities when making offers). In terms of subject choices, I would note that virtually all degrees requiring A-level Physics will also require A-level Mathematics (and the ones that don't will require you learn the A-level Maths content in your first year modules anyway). If your goal is to go into e.g. physics, engineering, etc, you should plan to take A-level Maths. A-level FM would be very useful for these courses but isn't required typically.

For creative arts and design degrees, requirements are often less specific. They'll expect some kind of qualification at the 6th form level, which doesn't need to be A-levels (although it can be). Normally there will also be a requirement to submit a creative portfolio - this is usually developed while taking an art/design subject, or during an art foundation year (FAD) course. Sometimes they will specifically require an art or design subject at A-level standard or equivalent, although this is less common as a specific requirement (although as noted above, the portfolio requirement means many if not most will be doing at least one such subject).

Usually FAD courses are quite useful preparation for applicants to design subjects like fashion which often aren't as well supported in the A-level Art curriculum (which tends to focus more on fine art approaches than design approaches). It can also be a good "taster" to see if doing "full time" art/design work is for you, and getting familiar with working in a studio environment similar to how you would work on a degree in those areas. @PQ has made a very useful FAQ about FAD courses here: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=5017684 which I recommend you have a look through if you're considering potentially doing something art or design related at uni later.

PRSIM
Maths, science, literature, history and languages generally speaking. Maybe geography too, traditionally at least
Original post by Memesbygsus
I'm starting sixth form in September and still have time to choose my a levels.
As a future career, I'm interested in something involving Physics, but I'm also interested in Fashion Design.
A level Physics is my first choice, but I don't know what to pick for the other two. On the universities I've looked at, most of them state that they want three 'academic' subjects. What subjects are considered academic? Which ones should I avoid?

The "non academic" subjects are things like Art, Drama, Photography, Dance, DT (apparently), Music (also surprisingly) Basically all of the creative subjects
Academic subjects are your sciences (physics, chemistry, biology, maths, psychology), your humanities (history, philosophy, geography, religious studies, business, economics, politics, sociology), your languages (French, Spanish, German, Latin, Greek, Italian, Russian, Mandarin etc)

At the end of the day, you need to pick A Levels which you are good at and that you enjoy. You're gonna be stuck with them for two years and they are INTENSE.
Hope this helps!
Reply 7
Hi mate I wanna study pharmacy at the UoM (mpharm) and in the requirements says I need to pick chemistry and either biology or maths and I’m gonn pick biology bc hate maths and physics and what third a level subject do you recommend either economics a level or psychology and are both considered rigorous and academic and which do you recommend and why???

Original post by username1060297
Maths, science, literature, history and languages generally speaking. Maybe geography too, traditionally at least

Latest