The Student Room Group

I can't decide what to take for AS

I'm definitely going to take French, Politics and Media Studies as I did well in GCSE for French and Media and all 3 subjects really interested me.

I was also going to take English lit, however, when it came to my GCSE results, I only got a B, which is a good result I know, and doesn't stop me studying it, but it was really upsetting for me and I think I may have lost my confidence with the subject.

So I was thinking Applied Business Studies instead, as it was a really good subject of mine and I've been in a Young Enterprise course and studied business studies on a summer school at UWE.

So which should I choose?

I really like both subjects, and am considering either Sociology or Theology at university, so which would be best?
Reply 1
english lit > applied business studies. by far.
Reply 2
From a pure respect standpoint, English Literature is far more respected than Business Studies - especially more than a vocational Business Studies.

Do English Literature.
Reply 3
Do eng lit. I did it and i loved it. (i got a B in gcse but got an A for Alevel)
Reply 4
Do English Lit- It's alot more interesting
I enjoyed it :biggrin:
But it depends on what you feel most comfortable in doing.
Research what you will be studying, by looking at the exam board spec and decide from there.
Business isn't going to help a Theology or Sociology application, yet English Literature certainly will.
Reply 6
english lit is a better regarded subject but is harder. Whereas business will definitely be an easier choice!
Reply 7
I took English Literature, Psychology and French.

English Literature is a laugh and is very good.

A close friend of mine took Business Studies.

English Lit is loved by Universities because there's very little that isn't, here's the subject, this is what I want you to concentrate on, but you have to make up your own question.

Business studies (especially advanced) is loved by businesses and it opens up way more avenues of work than you'd ever cared about knowing.

I agree with Greatleysteg
Business isn't going to help a Theology or Sociology application, yet English Literature certainly will.
Reply 8
English Literature would seem to be more helpful if you were going to do Theology or Sociology. But I don't know much about that field so if I'm wrong please correct me.
Don't let a B knock your confidence, it's probably just down to not being right on the day or the marker you had, as Engligh Literature is very subjective. I know someone who got C at GCSE Chemistry, and A's in Chemistry at AS for her exams, coming out with an overall B. It just shows it is possible to do better at A level than you did at GCSE :smile:
Thanks guys, I feel a bit better about English lit, you're right about the uni thing. Thanks a lot :smile:

Latest