The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

shamrock92
It's no problem. It's good to challenge yourself, so good luck! Latin is a rare and well-respected academic subject, nowadays, and it has the benefits of studying a language, history and english all in one. A science professor at Cambridge who was also an admissions tutor said that he always likes to see people who are applying for medecine show that they have skills not just in Maths and Science - he mentioned the super-impressive application of one medic who was also passionate about economic history or something.

I'm studying Latin and Philosophy at HL for IB next year, and I think they're probably complementary, although they're fairly unique at the same time! They both involve analysis and argument, particularly at A-level - you have to write long essays in exams for Latin about the set texts, and Philosophers traditionally are set the "essay-per-week"!

Exactly what I thought!
Ignoramus
You're right on my intentions; that was certainly how I saw it but then I'm known for making embarassing social blunders all the time and annoying people.

And I really did work for my As.

It's the kind of thing I would say.
I can also imagine most of my friends saying something like that..

Maybe we're just really strange and awkward ;P

And well done on the amazing results, by the way!
Well in my course, 40% of the marks is performance based so in theory if you can get an A in that (which isnt to difficult really)...
youve got an E already... and then even if you scored half marks in the rest of it, youd still get a B.... so, you know...
Hehe, thanks... feel awful about it all now though...
"The greatest calamity in the world is caused by misunderstanding" and all that.

Latest