The Student Room Group

My apprenticeship journey so far. Cyber Security Level 4 Apprenticeship as next step?

After A-levels I went to uni and graduated with a law degree (2:1) in 2017. I worked in the legal field for around a year doing paralegal work before deciding I wanted a change to IT.

I applied for level 3 apprenticeships in IT and got on to an Infrastructure Technician apprenticeship in March 2019, while employed as a Service Desk Apprentice at a company. Due to COVID-19 I've been made redundant this month, but I'm due to finally complete my apprenticeship by next month the latest. I'm hoping for a Distinction.

I've decided I want to continue on the apprenticeship path and do a level 4 apprenticeship in cyber security, as opposed to applying for service desk jobs or related. Both areas interest me but cyber security seems like the field I want to end up in. If anyone has any advice on the best way I can go about doing this, that would be great! I've reached out to a few training providers enquiring about the level 4 apprenticeship programme (within London), but cyber security vacancies seem to be few and far between. Also, if anyone has any advice or experience with this apprenticeship I'd love to hear from you!
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 1
Level 4 Cyber Security apprenticeships are hard to come by. They're normally level 6. It might be best to look into alternative Level 4's (Network engineering, software engineering being closely related) so in the future you can do a level 6 Security apprenticeship.
Original post by placeintime
After A-levels I went to uni and graduated with a law degree (2:1) in 2017. I worked in the legal field for around a year doing paralegal work before deciding I wanted a change to IT.

I applied for level 3 apprenticeships in IT and got on to an Infrastructure Technician apprenticeship in March 2019, while employed as a Service Desk Apprentice at a company. Due to COVID-19 I've been made redundant this month, but I'm due to finally complete my apprenticeship by next month the latest. I'm hoping for a Distinction.

I've decided I want to continue on the apprenticeship path and do a level 4 apprenticeship in cyber security, as opposed to applying for service desk jobs or related. Both areas interest me but cyber security seems like the field I want to end up in. If anyone has any advice on the best way I can go about doing this, that would be great! I've reached out to a few training providers enquiring about the level 4 apprenticeship programme (within London), but cyber security vacancies seem to be few and far between. Also, if anyone has any advice or experience with this apprenticeship I'd love to hear from you!

I wanted to do a apprenticeship in cyber security. Guess what! There was hard to come by! The ones which did appear were very competitive to get into so i'm going to uni and get into debt:wink:. Like the person above pointed out try to go for software development and in the future you could use that to maybe get a level 6 cyber security apprenticeship.
Reply 3
Hey all,

I would just like to add as someone who is doing a Level 4 Cyber Security Apprenticeship at QA. You should do a level 3 in software or network engineer as this will set you apart from other candidates.

Think long term, you may of course get lucky and secure a Cyber Apprenticeship straight after college but that would be rare.
HI There, i have just started a level 4 with QA, how are you getting on with yours? do you have insight on what is required when it comes to the EPA project?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending