The Student Room Group
Reply 1
Yer, phleb's apparently quite good. The jobs aren't given to medical students, you have to apply just like anyone else.

Wouldn't worry too much about punter contact though.
Reply 2
try nhsjobs/nhs careers to have a look and see what's available in the area.
you have to apply, same as everyone else.
a lot of my colleagues are on the staff bank as HCAs, more freedom for hours i think and a bit more variety.
Reply 3
Cheers for the rapid responces.

I know you have to apply:P

What I meant is it like normal for a med student to do it? or do they prefer people a bit older with more experince etc.
Reply 4
roberto775544
Cheers for the rapid responces.

I know you have to apply:P

What I meant is it like normal for a med student to do it? or do they prefer people a bit older with more experince etc.

it's completely normal for med students to work as HCAs. Phlebotomist jobs are a lot harder to get hold of and while of benefit to a med student, you get far more patient contact being a HCA, more experience of talking to patients and patient care in general.

i don't think they care how old/experienced they are usually. some specific HCA jobs require experience as a HCA but staff bank usually train people up from scratch.
Reply 5
HCAing will probably be easier - to work as a bank phleb, you usually have to pay a couple of hundred pounds to do their training course first (even if you're a 4th year medical student who has bled a ****e load of people...).

Try NHS Professionals...

Latest

Trending

Trending